Only completed 1/3 ochem lab courses (quarter system) Can I still apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mitrieD

My university has quarter system. I graduated last summer and I've only completed 1/3 quarters of ochem lab. I have all of my other requirements completed. Would I still be able to apply to podiatry school?

Also, when is the latest I can take the mcat before the application opening date of August 1st for the next application cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

There are only a couple of schools that will give you an interview without your official MCAT score, regardless of what pre-reqs you've completed. The rule of thumb is to complete your pre-reqs before you matriculate. If you're planning on applying in August, I would recommend taking your time to study for the MCAT. You can technically take your MCAT at any time, even after the application cycle has opened for the year that you plan to apply. Ideally you want to apply before March-April time frame. If you're considering a smaller school such as CSPM, DMU, WUSPM, or AZ-Pod, I would recommend getting your application in no later than January. Podiatry is becoming increasingly more popular. Seats are going a lot faster now.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, I don't know where I read that the latest I can take the mcat for most schools is May. Maybe that was meant for the current cycle.

Also I'm not completely understanding your response on me needing to complete the last two ochem lab courses. I hear from some people that as long as you have 12 quarter credits of ochem then you're good. I definitely surpass 12 quarter credits with all three ochem lectures completed with one ochem lab completed. Maybe I need to email schools on this because I really don't want to miss next cycle because of two labs I have to complete after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as o-chem is concerned, all o-chem courses should be taken with their respective labs. If you have taken any organic chemistry courses without their labs, they will not count towards admissions. Although credits are important, fulfilling the full requirements are just as important. Sorry for not being initially clear with my first response. I hope this helps.

It states that for most schools, you have to take your MCAT by May 2015 for the 2015 cycle. Kind of confusing. So if a student is planning to apply when the cycle opens in August, do these dates apply? Or are these dates (found in the link in the post before mine) only apply to those applying late in the cycle for matriculation that same year. I am going to apply in August and just making sure I will be good if I take the Mcat in june or july.

It states that for most schools, you have to take your MCAT by May 2015 for the 2015 cycle. Kind of confusing. So if a student is planning to apply when the cycle opens in August, do these dates apply? Or are these dates (found in the link in the post before mine) only apply to those applying late in the cycle for matriculation that same year. I am going to apply in August and just making sure I will be good if I take the Mcat in june or july.

The May date is for the current cycle. You can technically apply for the next cycle in August and take your mcat in november, but it would probably work against you for not having your mcat completed before applying. But May is the last month where you can postpone your mcat before they consider you.