Only matched advanced, Please help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IsabellaGem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am DO student only matched advanced. Is it better to do prelim in Surgery or IM?

Which are DO friendly Prelim programs in NY/NJ/CT?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends how much tolerance you have for rounding. Hate rounding = surgery. Like it/maybe CC-bound = IM. You can apply to 35 programs so just pick 35 in that region and apply. Probably a waste of time at this point to try and figure out which are DO-friendly.

I am DO student only matched advanced. Is it better to do prelim in Surgery or IM?

Please let me be clear. I am NOT asking you which programs are unfilled as this is a violation of match. I am just asking in general which are good Prelim IM or Surgery programs in Northeast.

Please DO NOT tell me which are unfilled because I don't want to get in trouble with NRMP.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was in the same situation as you last year. I only applied to prelim med programs in the SOAP and didn't end up with a position. Ask yourself if you are willing to endure a prelim surg spot and if not consider a TRI. I picked up an AOA TRI which has worked out quite nicely. With the pending ACGME merger it should have no effect on fellowship eligibility. Good luck!

Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown PA ( close to NJ/NYC area) is very DO friendly and has an awesome transitional program. The also have a general surgery residency that is very, very good for an intern year. Good luck

Lehigh Valley Hospital in Allentown PA ( close to NJ/NYC area) is very DO friendly and has an awesome transitional program. The also have a general surgery residency that is very, very good for an intern year. Good luck

Thank you Carol Ann! I am not allowed to say if it was unfilled b/c I would get in trouble with NRMP, but thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Just curious - When do programs get back to applicants who scrambled today? I applied at 2pm but have not heard from anyone yet.

I don't know what the new rules are, but when we went through the match we were told to get on the phone and call programs like crazy if we didn't match. I have a friend who matched into FP over the phone during match week.

I don't know what the new rules are, but when we went through the match we were told to get on the phone and call programs like crazy if we didn't match. I have a friend who matched into FP over the phone during match week.
Yeah, the rules have changed quite a bit. It's now a violation to contact any program before they contact you first.

@IsabellaGem Based on what I've seen in the other forums, PDs start contacting applicants on Tuesday usually. They have to go through all the applications they received.

Have you checked into TRIs? Due to the new accreditation agreement, TRIs give full credit towards ACGME residencies. They will be far easier than scrambling for a MD transitional year and will mean you won't have to do the stupid AOA crap for the Resolution 99 requirements.

New process is basically like a truncated match. Today applicants get back on the ERAS system, apply to open spots, programs will call applicants they are interested in for phone interview, then submit a "rank list." Next day, applicant finds out if they secured a spot, if not process repeats until they find one, or Friday noon when any spots are then essentially out of the match and fair game.

Obviously I have no clue what the old scramble was like, though I hear it was pretty awful, granted I don't have personal experience with the new system, a friend of mine did though and while I'm sure it is still awful, I think the new system is slightly more "fair." Less about being quick with phone calls/faxes, and evens the field a little so to speak.

New process is basically like a truncated match. Today applicants get back on the ERAS system, apply to open spots, programs will call applicants they are interested in for phone interview, then submit a "rank list." Next day, applicant finds out if they secured a spot, if not process repeats until they find one, or Friday noon when any spots are then essentially out of the match and fair game.

Obviously I have no clue what the old scramble was like, though I hear it was pretty awful, granted I don't have personal experience with the new system, a friend of mine did though and while I'm sure it is still awful, I think the new system is slightly more "fair." Less about being quick with phone calls/faxes, and evens the field a little so to speak.

It definitely seems more fair now, I know a few people that had to scramble and it sounded more like luck than anything. Very disorganized and stressful.

OP best of luck finding an internship, I'm sure something will turn up.