Only the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyDylanFan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I've only found one program that specifically addresses MCAT preparation (Drexel). I guess I have two questions: Does anybody know any other programs that deal with MCAT prep? And should I even be thinking of a post bac, cause my undergrad science grades are great, its just my MCAT that is keeping me out of the game. Would it be better to just stay away from these types of programs and take the MCAT until I get an "acceptable" score. I appreciate anyones comments.

Thanks,
BDF

Members don't see this ad.

hi! in terms of specific mcat prep, check out www.siumed.edu/medprep. i just sent in my app yesterday. PM me with ??????

hiram abiff

If you've taken all the science courses, why not just take Kaplan or Princeton Review, at ~$1500? One or both (I've forgotten now) even let you re-take their course gratis within a year under certain circumstances, to gain more time. Don't take a "compressed" course, but the full-length (~6 months) one. Time the ending of the course close to the MCAT you want to sit. If you spend 1-2 hours per day (first few months) and 2+ hours per day the remaining months, you'll re-learn every bit of the sciences, as I did (then forgot them, then relearned them again). They both do an excellent job (although I liked Kaplan a little more, maybe b.c. it was 5 years later and I was older & wiser?), have more resources and practice tests+questions than you could possibly exhaust in 6 mos., and their compressed review books covered absolutely everything I saw on 2 different MCATs. Score increases of 2-5 points are typical if you aren't a slacker, even more if you suffer for the 1/2 year.

As to the retaking...many schools don't like to see 3+ sits for MCAT (is that still even possible?), plus it really hurts if you do worse on subsequent tests, so take them sparingly after thorough prep.

-pitman

bill fixen's biology class at the harvard extension post-bacc is the best bio prep you can do for the MCAT. If you're weak in that area, you can do no worse.