USMLE Only UWorld without First Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oblove

Reaction score
Is there anyone who did not study First Aid and just studied from Uworld. I have my exam in 3 weeks and have just done Uworld. I read the explanation somewhat. What are your views. I was never comfortable with First Aid. So should I start studying First Aid now?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone who did not study First Aid and just studied from Uworld. I have my exam in 3 weeks and have just done Uworld. I read the explanation somewhat. What are your views. I was never comfortable with First Aid. So should I start studying First Aid now?

Everyone has different needs based on their initial fund of knowledge. Impossible to say unless you've done an NBME to evaluate your performance. The NBMEs taken under test conditions are the best metric to evaluate how you will do on the real thing. You definitely should not read the Uworld explanations "somewhat" as you state. You should read them thoroughly and carefully because those are the concepts you will be tested on. Study even the wrong answers to see why they are wrong because they are often the answers to other questions.

Agree about taking an NBME! You have no idea right now if 3 weeks is enough time if you don't have practice test scores. I didn't use First Aid much at all, but I made flashcards based on my UW incorrects. Reading the explanations somewhat is not going to help you much at all (in the next two weeks, you'll forget 90% of what you've only read).

I actually have a different question: does UW encompasses (including explanations) everything that FA has or not really? I mean it's only 2400 questions with 5 answers on average (and many of them overlap across qbank) - so how can UW possibly cover everything that is tested or at least everything that FA? I'm just wondering if UW at least covers 90% of all concepts and major details or it's more like 50% at most?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have a different question: does UW encompasses (including explanations) everything that FA has or not really? I mean it's only 2400 questions with 5 answers on average (and many of them overlap across qbank) - so how can UW possibly cover everything that is tested or at least everything that FA? I'm just wondering if UW at least covers 90% of all concepts and major details or it's more like 50% at most?

Speaking only from the experience of finishing 4 systems in UWorld so far. Before each system in UWorld I had already completed Zanki + Sketchy + Pathoma & read/annotated First Aid.

If you read into every correct/incorrect answer choice in UWorld, I'm sure everything in First Aid is covered (I didn't double check to make sure.) I would safely put my money on >90% definitely being covered.

UWorld definitely has more information than does First Aid though. There are pathologies in UWorld not covered in First Aid.

Reactions: 2 users
If you want to use First Aid as little as possible you should try USMLERx. It puts 1 page from first aid during the explanations.

I didn’t use First Aid much personally, I get much more from watching videos. All I really used it for was to add stuff in it into my notes that we didn’t cover in class.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone happen to have already typed out completed step 1 uworld notes system-based? I'd very much appreciate it! Thank you!