Only will be able to get 2 SLORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

herewego

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will 2 SLORs be acceptable or should I start scrambling for a 3rd?

I'll get one from my home institution and one away. I applied to multiple for a 3rd EM rotation, early too, but have gotten rejections because they've been full already.

In the end I'll probably have 2 SLORs and a letter of rec from my PI whos EM.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll most likely be fine as long as they're in early. A 3rd will probably help a little, but I doubt it would make or break your application at most places. 2 SLORs seemed to be the minimum most programs were ideally looking for last cycle.

2 is fine. I had one real SlOR and one fake one and did fine. Actually come to think of it if I had two real ones Id have prob done better with interview invites. Ahh well it is what it is. 2 is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys! much appreciated

2 is fine. I had one real SlOR and one fake one and did fine. Actually come to think of it if I had two real ones Id have prob done better with interview invites. Ahh well it is what it is. 2 is fine.

What do you mean by fake SLOR?

Will 2 SLORs be acceptable or should I start scrambling for a 3rd?

I'll get one from my home institution and one away. I applied to multiple for a 3rd EM rotation, early too, but have gotten rejections because they've been full already.

In the end I'll probably have 2 SLORs and a letter of rec from my PI whos EM.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2 is plenty. I had one from my home EM rotation and one from an away EM rotation. Got offered 31 interviews out of 37 applied.

Agreed. 2 is plenty. I know plenty of excellent applicants who end up at top programs with one SLOR - of course this depends on the SLOR itself and which medical school you are coming from. I had 2 and did just fine.

I have my first EM in august, then one in sept and again Oct. I should have one for august, if I'm 2-3 weeks late to submit the second (because that rotation ends sept 27) will it significantly hurt my chances, or should I ask the PD halfway into the rotation? Also, should I even bother with a third if it comes at the end of october? Thanks guys!

I only had 2 and got my first choice. My 2nd one was probably not that great either, but the other SLOR, which was a true composite, apparently was amazing.

Is there any downside to having more SLORs? I know 2 is kinda considered minimum, 3 is good, but what if you have 4 or 5? I feel like I read somewhere that a bunch is actually considered a bad thing (which kinda baffled me). Also, how would you possibly get additional SLORs to each program you are applying to? I know ERAS only allows a certain number of letters (isn't it 4?) but if you have 5, 6, 3000... how do you get the additional ones above what ERAS allows for upload to each program you're applying for without asking the letter writer "hi, could you also send this to these 30-90 additional programs as well instead of just uploading into ERAS please? Thanks!" :)

You're only allowed to submit a maximum of 4 LORs. I wouldn't recommend doing anything to cram another one (ie, faxing LORs independently).

You're only allowed to submit a maximum of 4 LORs. I wouldn't recommend doing anything to cram another one (ie, faxing LORs independently).

So, if by chance you end up with the opportunity (or end up getting) 5, 7, however many, just leave em off to the side or say "no thanks"? Seems a little crazy to me but perhaps that's the case. Since you can't see what's on the letters (or at least you shouldn't since you waive the right to see them) you can't exactly pick the 4 best and go with that how do you determine which ones to upload? I know some have said to get realllllly buddy buddy with the person at your school who is responsible for handling and uploading them and "maybe" they will give you a "this is a good letter to upload and use" or a "ehhh... might not want to use this letter" if you're lucky, buuuuut... if you don't do/have that and you know you're going to be in a position to get more than 4 SLORs what advice do you guys have on managing that?

So, if by chance you end up with the opportunity (or end up getting) 5, 7, however many, just leave em off to the side or say "no thanks"? Seems a little crazy to me but perhaps that's the case.

Well, the thing is that most programs will receive ~1000 applications. Programs have to draw the line somewhere and it's great that you're able to find 5-7 physicians willing to write letters on your behalf, but I really don't think programs are dying to see more than 4 letters. They're certainly important, but beyond 4 is a little excessive. I think if you try to go above and beyond in this regard and try to somehow send in more than 4, you run the risk of your actions being seen negatively.

Since you can't see what's on the letters (or at least you shouldn't since you waive the right to see them) you can't exactly pick the 4 best and go with that how do you determine which ones to upload? I know some have said to get realllllly buddy buddy with the person at your school who is responsible for handling and uploading them and "maybe" they will give you a "this is a good letter to upload and use" or a "ehhh... might not want to use this letter" if you're lucky, buuuuut... if you don't do/have that and you know you're going to be in a position to get more than 4 SLORs what advice do you guys have on managing that?

Therein lies the rub. I'm a big advocate of phrasing the request in the form of: "would you feel comfortable writing me a strong SLOR?" I feel like if a letter writer weren't able to do this, they would tell you so. Also, I think on your auditions it's always a good idea to ask your attendings/residents for feedback. Although everyone at the MS4 level is going to get a lot of constructive feedback, you should be able get a general feel for how you're performing. The reality is that you're just not going to know the majority of what gets said about you. I submitted 3 SLORs and up until my 9th interview the only things I heard about them were that they were "good." One of my interviewers read an excerpt from one of my SLORs to me, but I wouldn't rely on it. It sucks not knowing...but it's just the way it is.

Well, the thing is that most programs will receive ~1000 applications. Programs have to draw the line somewhere and it's great that you're able to find 5-7 physicians willing to write letters on your behalf, but I really don't think programs are dying to see more than 4 letters. They're certainly important, but beyond 4 is a little excessive. I think if you try to go above and beyond in this regard and try to somehow send in more than 4, you run the risk of your actions being seen negatively.

Therein lies the rub. I'm a big advocate of phrasing the request in the form of: "would you feel comfortable writing me a strong SLOR?" I feel like if a letter writer weren't able to do this, they would tell you so. Also, I think on your auditions it's always a good idea to ask your attendings/residents for feedback. Although everyone at the MS4 level is going to get a lot of constructive feedback, you should be able get a general feel for how you're performing. The reality is that you're just not going to know the majority of what gets said about you. I submitted 3 SLORs and up until my 9th interview the only things I heard about them were that they were "good." One of my interviewers read an excerpt from one of my SLORs to me, but I wouldn't rely on it. It sucks not knowing...but it's just the way it is.

Yeah, strong points and I think that's similar to the reason I heard that "more isn't necessarily better" in this situation. My problem (nice problem to have I guess) is that I'll have multiple EM rotations (aways) that most or all have said they do write a composite letter at the end of the month plus most say you can ask for individual letters from physicians that you spend a good amount of time with so, inevitably, I'll probably end up with more than I can use/need. I was thinking it would be nice to use a letter from a physician that I may work with 4 or 5 times during the month (if that happens) who gets a good feel for me so that I could ask what you said (can you write me a strong letter) vs just all composite letters where they write them without asking and you don't really get the benefit of asking them if it will be strong. Yeah, definitely quite a little game, lol!

Written by my preceptor on behalf of the EM group, but at a non academic ED with no residency. Technically he could write one but it probably wasnt taken seriously.

Aw crap. I just asked a preceptor at a non-academic (no residency) ED to write an LOR and he agreed so I sent him the forms and crap, but just for a regular LOR, not a SLOR. I though the SLOR was strictly for people at residency programs. Should I call him up or email him the SLOR thing now? I will have time to get 2 SLORs at rotations in July and Sept.

Aw crap. I just asked a preceptor at a non-academic (no residency) ED to write an LOR and he agreed so I sent him the forms and crap, but just for a regular LOR, not a SLOR. I though the SLOR was strictly for people at residency programs. Should I call him up or email him the SLOR thing now? I will have time to get 2 SLORs at rotations in July and Sept.

The form states only "Emergency Medicine Faculty" can fill out the form. So, technically an EM physician who is a preceptor for a medical school counts. But, it won't be taken as seriously as it would if it came from faculty at a residency program. So, try and get 2 real ones.

I would keep it as a LOR for the reasons sylvanthius described above.