[OP-ED AACP] Responding to AMA comments...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well maybe if AACP pushed to have us be more than retail circus clowns, maybe we’d be taken more seriously.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lee Vermeulen has no credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: 1 users
I imagine this is what a desperate dog does when you start taking their food away.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
This old fight will continue until long past the AI singularity makes us all obsolete.

Long story short, a good (not even great) clinician is always better than AI even at theoretical capabilities. That’s not who AI needs to target. It’s the bottom 40% who are mindless guideline automatons and don’t look past them when a case is exceptional. There’s quite a number of clinicians I know who couldn’t pass a medical domain Turing test.

What I’m surprised at is that we don’t hand out generative AI printouts in plain English for outpatient counseling and then say call this number for questions. There’s no reason to do rote counseling for communicating standard information anymore (but to build patient rapport, it’s still the best way).

Reactions: 1 users
Capture.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
For those not aware, here's what the statement was in response to:

the AMA is really barking up the wrong tree- the number of jobs pharmacists have taken away (for lack of a better term) is less than 1% of what PA's and NP's have done- why don't they focus their energy there?

Reactions: 2 users
Pharmacist are a threat to physicians as we move toward value based care. All healthcare workers are a threat to physicians as we move toward Patient Centered Medical Homes and Accountable Care Organizations as we practice team based care and practice at the top of our license. These models are occurring in other countries such as the UK and basically a variety of healthcare workers are finding jobs except general practice physicians. they are being left unemployed because when there is a team to take on tasks that they once did you need less of them.

Articles from the telegraph UK:

Third of chemists have no permanent pharmacist thanks to recruitment for GP practices​

Patient safety at risk as pharmacists replace GPs, doctors warn
Family doctors say mistakes are being made by less qualified staff who diagnose and treat patients with conditions they are not trained in

Majority of NHS GP surgery appointments now do not involve family doctors
Doctors have criticized scheme that fills staffing gaps with thousands of paramedics and physician associates

HIGHLIGHT FROM ARTICLE:

Many GPs ‘effectively unemployed’​

Physician associates also cannot prescribe, meaning that GPs need to step in if medication is required.

NHS England said that it has now hired an extra 31,000 front-line staff other than GPs to work in practices since 2019, against a target to recruit around 26,000 such workers.

The central scheme – called the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme (ARRS) – means GP practices do not have to pay the wages of such workers, which are paid by NHS England.

It brings the total in such roles in England to 42,000 – dwarfing the number of family doctors, which stands at about 27,000.

In 2019, the Government promised to increase GP numbers by 6,000 by 2024.

Since then numbers of full-time equivalents have fallen by about 900.

GPs available for temporary work in general practice said that their work was now drying up, despite thousands of vacancies for family doctors, because surgeries preferred to deploy ARRS workers that cost them nothing.

A GP in Yorkshire told the Telegraph: “It’s a pot of money from NHS England that GP partners are being told you can use to hire any healthcare staff that are not GPs.

“There are hundreds if not thousands of GPs out there who are effectively unemployed. A practice I worked at for nine, 10 years says they don’t need me anymore, they’ve hired a physician associate and two pharmacists.

“We keep hearing that there is a shortage of GPs, but it’s just not true. There are no vacancies. There is just one in my area, and I’m not alone, there are hundreds of my colleagues just sat at home twiddling their thumbs.

the AMA is really barking up the wrong tree- the number of jobs pharmacists have taken away (for lack of a better term) is less than 1% of what PA's and NP's have done- why don't they focus their energy there?

But we're "doctors". Doctors are afraid of "doctors" taking their jobs. As evidenced by our opportunities doublin'

Dentist here. I read through this AMA article that listed about every healthcare profession (NP, PA, CRNA, OD, PsyD, PharmD) but I'm surprised the AMA did not even mention us dentists. Maybe the physicians don't care about working in the mouth that much.

Nurses may have some concern as well as physicians as we move to Team Based Care. In the UK not only physicians are have difficulty finding work but nurses are too with the way the government is funding primary care. The UK seems to be the 1st to have embraces" Value-Based Care", "Patient Centered Care" or "Population Heath". This is the way we are heading.

The additional roles scheme shaking up nursing in general practice​

The Queen’s Nursing Institute (QNI) has significant concerns about the principles and implementation of the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme (ARRS), in particular the impact on General Practice Nurses (GPNs).

A major new report has highlighted the multiple challenges posed by the introduction of the ARRS (Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme) in England.​

Dentist here. I read through this AMA article that listed about every healthcare profession (NP, PA, CRNA, OD, PsyD, PharmD) but I'm surprised the AMA did not even mention us dentists. Maybe the physicians don't care about working in the mouth that much.
We really don't.

DDSs do CRAZY stuff in Texas