Open letter to John Crosby

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO Anes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Mr. Crosby:

I am writing to you to urge the AOA to take immediate action in the interest of the profession. As a practicing osteopathic physician for over 20 years and a former AOA health policy fellow, it is clear to me that osteopathic medicine in the Untied States is in serious jeopardy and, unless we act now, it will not survive the upcoming challenges to the American health care system.

The recent initiative by Ms. Pletz at KCUMB is a poignant illustration of how close we are to a precipice that, if crossed, may end my profession. Although the issuance of a combined DO/MD degree at a single institution would set a dangerous precedent, the issues identified by Ms. Pletz are nevertheless real and should not be discounted.

COCA and the AOA, through its silence, have allowed irresponsible growth of osteopathic medical education without adequate clinical training at either the undergraduate or postgraduate levels. While allopathic schools hesitate to increase class sizes by 10% over 5 year periods, some osteopathic colleges have increased enrollment by more than 50% over one year in areas where there is a paucity of existing clerkship opportunities. Osteopathic colleges have opened numerous branch campuses, at high levels of enrollment, while barely graduating inaugural classes from the home schools. COCA accredited the first for-profit medical school in the United States in nearly a century without well-publicized and open debate and without a clearly defined rationale for the economic model. Putting aside Rocky Vista University, there is no credible for-profit medical school in the industrialized world. The vast majority of osteopathic graduates enter ACGME residency training, but there is no organized mechanism for them to return to the profession as program directors, DME’s and deans, thus perpetuating the vicious cycle of ever decreasing OGME opportunities. Category 1 osteopathic CME is so restrictive in design that is a constant source of difficulty and frequently cited as yet another reason for our graduates to leave the organized profession. Concurrently, the AAMC has called for a 30% increase in allopathic class sizes, clerkship opportunities are limited or bought and paid-for by third-world for-profits and CMS has not increased funding for residency training beyond 1997 levels. Ore economy is in its worst condition since the Great Depression and political health care reform proposals continue to limit reimbursement, decrease services and limit technology and innovation as the number of ill and elderly climb to record levels. We are fixated on primary care to the exclusion of specialties, while nurses, technician and other allied health professionals deliver the same care without well-demonstrated differences in morbidity and mortality.

Quite simply, Mr. Crosby, this profession is at crisis point. If we do not act to address these threats, then surely the US Department of Education will. Patient lives are at stake and it will only take one osteopathic Libby Zion to bring down the house of cards. I am well aware the COCA is an independent body, not controlled by the AOA, however, as you said yourself, the AOA can testify and set forth its opinion to COCA and the leadership of the AOA can use their bully pulpit to advocate for the necessary measures to protect the profession and the patients for whom we care. Surely the testimony of the AOA president and Board of Deans carries more weight than the testimony of a lone ACGME trained anesthesiologist. It should also be noted that the AOA appoints the members of COCA, so the organizations are separate, but related.

The following steps should be taken immediately:
1. A moratorium on any new osteopathic schools, branch campuses or expansion of class sizes.
2. A review of COCA standards and comparative study of LCME equivalents.
3. A prohibition of for-profit schools, including existing schools.
4. A review of all osteopathic undergraduate and graduate clinical education for standard and quality of teaching.
5. A rationalization (decrease) of class sizes in accordance with #4, above.
6. An accommodation in COCA standards, so that osteopathic physicians certified by the ACGME can serve as AOA residency program directors, DME’s and deans.
7. Acceptance of AMA CME as equivalent to AOA.
8. Development of endowment funding to increase OGME opportunities.
9. A prohibition of joint DO/MD degrees.

Mr. Crosby, I urge you and the AOA to act on this with all deliberate speed. Our profession has distinguished itself since the days of Andrew Taylor Still as offering patients a better philosophy and practice of health care. The benefit we offer to our patients has facilitated the acceptance and growth of our profession against overwhelming odds. The disappearance of osteopathic medicine would be a tragedy. Please, stand for what is ethical, stand for what is right, stand for our patients and stand for our uniquely American practice of care. If we do not police the profession, surely someone else will.

Fraternally yours,

George Mychaskiw II, DO, FAAP, FACOP
Professor and Chair, Department of Anesthesiology
Drexel University College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dear Mr. Crosby:

I am writing to you to urge the AOA to take immediate action in the interest of the profession. As a practicing osteopathic physician for over 20 years and a former AOA health policy fellow, it is clear to me that osteopathic medicine in the Untied States is in serious jeopardy and, unless we act now, it will not survive the upcoming challenges to the American health care system.

The recent initiative by Ms. Pletz at KCUMB is a poignant illustration of how close we are to a precipice that, if crossed, may end my profession. Although the issuance of a combined DO/MD degree at a single institution would set a dangerous precedent, the issues identified by Ms. Pletz are nevertheless real and should not be discounted.

COCA and the AOA, through its silence, have allowed irresponsible growth of osteopathic medical education without adequate clinical training at either the undergraduate or postgraduate levels. While allopathic schools hesitate to increase class sizes by 10% over 5 year periods, some osteopathic colleges have increased enrollment by more than 50% over one year in areas where there is a paucity of existing clerkship opportunities. Osteopathic colleges have opened numerous branch campuses, at high levels of enrollment, while barely graduating inaugural classes from the home schools. COCA accredited the first for-profit medical school in the United States in nearly a century without well-publicized and open debate and without a clearly defined rationale for the economic model. Putting aside Rocky Vista University, there is no credible for-profit medical school in the industrialized world. The vast majority of osteopathic graduates enter ACGME residency training, but there is no organized mechanism for them to return to the profession as program directors, DME’s and deans, thus perpetuating the vicious cycle of ever decreasing OGME opportunities. Category 1 osteopathic CME is so restrictive in design that is a constant source of difficulty and frequently cited as yet another reason for our graduates to leave the organized profession. Concurrently, the AAMC has called for a 30% increase in allopathic class sizes, clerkship opportunities are limited or bought and paid-for by third-world for-profits and CMS has not increased funding for residency training beyond 1997 levels. Ore economy is in its worst condition since the Great Depression and political health care reform proposals continue to limit reimbursement, decrease services and limit technology and innovation as the number of ill and elderly climb to record levels. We are fixated on primary care to the exclusion of specialties, while nurses, technician and other allied health professionals deliver the same care without well-demonstrated differences in morbidity and mortality.

Quite simply, Mr. Crosby, this profession is at crisis point. If we do not act to address these threats, then surely the US Department of Education will. Patient lives are at stake and it will only take one osteopathic Libby Zion to bring down the house of cards. I am well aware the COCA is an independent body, not controlled by the AOA, however, as you said yourself, the AOA can testify and set forth its opinion to COCA and the leadership of the AOA can use their bully pulpit to advocate for the necessary measures to protect the profession and the patients for whom we care. Surely the testimony of the AOA president and Board of Deans carries more weight than the testimony of a lone ACGME trained anesthesiologist. It should also be noted that the AOA appoints the members of COCA, so the organizations are separate, but related.

1. A moratorium on any new osteopathic schools, branch campuses or expansion of class sizes.
4. A review of all osteopathic undergraduate and graduate clinical education for standard and quality of teaching.
6. An accommodation in COCA standards, so that osteopathic physicians certified by the ACGME can serve as AOA residency program directors, DME’s and deans.

Mr. Crosby, I urge you and the AOA to act on this with all deliberate speed. Our profession has distinguished itself since the days of Andrew Taylor Still as offering patients a better philosophy and practice of health care. The benefit we offer to our patients has facilitated the acceptance and growth of our profession against overwhelming odds. The disappearance of osteopathic medicine would be a tragedy. Please, stand for what is ethical, stand for what is right, stand for our patients and stand for our uniquely American practice of care. If we do not police the profession, surely someone else will.

Fraternally yours,

I thought I was going to hate this note when I entered the thread, but it is quite well written and speaks to a LOT of important points. It's frankly refreshing to read something that puts faith and urgency into the profession, and simply does not rant about esoteric things that won't be about any real change. I especially like point 6 and point 8. In my very limited opinion, OGME is what will make or break the bank here. I do take some confusion as to point 9. Frankly, I can see it two ways 1. You do not want any osteopathic school to see LCME accreditation, which I think is wise 2. You want to put a ban on any discussion regarding a degree designation change, which I really don't care about, but also could see a change with the addition of the MD as an easier way to distinguish DOs as physicians in an atmosphere where we have Doctors of Nauropathic medicine, Doctors of Chiropractic Medicine, Doctors of Nurse Practicioning (or whatever that title may be), and everyone from techs to transport prancing around hospitals in white coats. HOWEVER, I really think this point perils in comparison to increasing OGME, setting up a system to monitor clinical education, ceasing school expansion, and nipping the for-profit issue right in the bud. I really respect and appreciate the enthusiasm you have for the longevity of osteopathic medicine, and I hope this letter is received with the same spirit of pride for the profession.

Dear Mr. Crosby:

Fraternally yours,

This is a well-written letter. It will be interesting to see the AOA's response. Of all your points, I think #9 is the one most likely to receive immediate implementation by the AOA.
Personally, I agree with 1-8; I have some ambivalence about #9, and it is only because of the rise of midlevels and their quests to be called "doctors." The "M" for medicine would only help reinforce that DO's are physicians and do practice medicine. On the other side, I understand the historical nature of "DO" designation.

As far as your comment about the osteopathic Libby Zion, unfortunately, may be on the horizon:
http://www.newyorkinjurycasesblog.com/uploads/file/Deane v Mount Sinai.pdf
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=678717

Hopefully, your efforts will cease this profession's current path of self-destruction. Thank you. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I don't have a problem with having a DO/MD degree. It will stop the old prejudices of the dinosaurs which we still fight, but preserve the distinctiveness of our profession. It could be viewed as an added benefit rather than an alternative degree.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be a DO. I have issues with many of the things the AOA and COCA are doing/have done, but that doesn't change the fact I am proud of my training and degree (which I will have conferred upon me in 6 months). But the prejudices of those around the country with such insecurities does get old fighting/ignoring.

I am appalled they are considering foreign schools. I also don't agree with for-profit schools. I will give them a chance, but on principle I don't believe education should be a for-monetary-profit adventure. I have definitely noticed differences in clinical and pre-clinical teachings, particularly in the OMM departments. I was recently at an away clinical site where the core surgery students did almost nothing. No surgeries for days. They were begging to just to watch a surgery - any surgery, and begging to do notes of any kind. It was truly appalling training, and the site needs significant overhaul for a core surgery rotation. Vascular and plastic surgery I hear were outstanding, and otherwise the site offered good daily teaching lectures of all kinds.

As for growth of class size: I was recently informed that the UNE president (NOT the COM Dean) has demanded a 50% class size increase. There is nowhere to put these students, yet she is demanding an increase. When informed she could not have the increase in one year, she demanded an increase of 10-15 students each year for the next 5 years. With still nowhere to put these students in the lecture hall. Absolutely irresponsible growth with only an eye towards the outrageous tuition that can be added to the general fund coffers. I would beg the AOA and COCA to prohibit such irresponsible growth.

DO Anes, I hope they read that letter. You should send it to every osteopathic journal currently in existance to raise the awareness of issues currently facing our profession.

Personally I don't have a problem with having a DO/MD degree. It will stop the old prejudices of the dinosaurs which we still fight, but preserve the distinctiveness of our profession. It could be viewed as an added benefit rather than an alternative degree.

Don't get me wrong, I am proud to be a DO. I have issues with many of the things the AOA and COCA are doing/have done, but that doesn't change the fact I am proud of my training and degree (which I will have conferred upon me in 6 months). But the prejudices of those around the country with such insecurities does get old fighting/ignoring.

I am appalled they are considering foreign schools. I also don't agree with for-profit schools. I will give them a chance, but on principle I don't believe education should be a for-monetary-profit adventure. I have definitely noticed differences in clinical and pre-clinical teachings, particularly in the OMM departments. I was recently at an away clinical site where the core surgery students did almost nothing. No surgeries for days. They were begging to just to watch a surgery - any surgery, and begging to do notes of any kind. It was truly appalling training, and the site needs significant overhaul for a core surgery rotation. Vascular and plastic surgery I hear were outstanding, and otherwise the site offered good daily teaching lectures of all kinds.

As for growth of class size: I was recently informed that the UNE president (NOT the COM Dean) has demanded a 50% class size increase. There is nowhere to put these students, yet she is demanding an increase. When informed she could not have the increase in one year, she demanded an increase of 10-15 students each year for the next 5 years. With still nowhere to put these students in the lecture hall. Absolutely irresponsible growth with only an eye towards the outrageous tuition that can be added to the general fund coffers. I would beg the AOA and COCA to prohibit such irresponsible growth.

DO Anes, I hope they read that letter. You should send it to every osteopathic journal currently in existance to raise the awareness of issues currently facing our profession.

I agree. Regulating growth and shifting attention to providing a good solid education to the current number of osteopathic students would probably strengthen the profession greatly.

I've been researching the current activities of the AOA/COCA and I'm confused why they'd even consider foreign DO schools when they took so much heat for RVU. Not only that, but the island MD schools aren't accredited by the LCME, are they?

I am excited about beginning my education at my DO school because I know its one of the more highly regarded names in the osteopathic profession. However, I'm still terrified at the idea of not having adequate training sites during my clinical years. This problem has been emphasized over and over by countless members on SDN... I hope something is done soon to correct it.

Dear Mr. Crosby:

Fraternally yours,

Excellent letter. You are doing a great service by trying to publicize these problems. I tried to point out some similar issues in a thread I started about some parallels between what Carribean schools and some DO schools are doing but the thread was closed by the censor. Good luck in pressing forward on these issues.

....thanks Dr. M for the great letter.

But I'd like to encourage all potential DO students to not go to a DO school unless they have a full scholarship. Don't pay these schools $50K a year to learn osteopathic medicine in a converted warehouse while you scrounge for clinical rotation spots for 3rd and 4th years all to subsequently work for the government for chump change because you have no other choice since you will have to cough up a fat loan payment else they'll take away your home.

Must be fabulous to be the "president" of a medical school and sit home watching the money burn while thousands of eager young physicians-to-be get eaten alive by society.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade, but, you've been warned. Make sure your heart and soul are in the right place in order to prepare for this ride!

Join Dr. M. and speak up. Support his letter wherever you may see it.

....thanks Dr. M for the great letter.

But I'd like to encourage all potential DO students to not go to a DO school unless they have a full scholarship.

At least your being practical ....

Hmm. These three things don't apply to my osteopathic medical school.

Same here. Old converted department store? Sure, however I dare anyone to tell me that that building was a department store from a picture of the inside (besides the picture of 100 shares of Buffems stock). However, the administrative support building that's a converted credit union building? Sure. Of course we're moving into a brand spanking new building at the start of winter semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the more important points of Rita's post were about rotations and how our salaries are gonna take a big hit if Obamacare actually comes to FULL fruition.

Dear Mr. Crosby:

Fraternally yours,

yes, this is very old thread bump, but this individual will actually be serving as dean and chief academic officer of the new for-profit DO school he (and an investor) helped found in New Mexico. The school will be freestanding (though on NMSU property), open with 150 students and eventually expand to 300. Needless to say I am speechless.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/sa...cle_81c75562-0b1d-11e4-8405-0017a43b2370.html

Well, that was then, things have changed, money talks, etc.

I guess he figures that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Im not sure why any investor would organize a for-profit school. Plenty of non-profit DO schools are raking in serious $$$ without the controversy that for-profit status brings.

Last edited:
yes, this is very old thread bump, but this individual will actually be serving as dean and chief academic officer of the new for-profit DO school he (and an investor) helped found in New Mexico. The school will be freestanding (though on NMSU property), open with 150 students and eventually expand to 300. Needless to say I am speechless.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/sa...cle_81c75562-0b1d-11e4-8405-0017a43b2370.html.

This is f*cking hilarious.

What a joke.

Hey @DO Anes would you care to comment and give your input for the apparent change of stance?

Reactions: 4 users
Hey @DO Anes would you care to comment and give your input for the apparent change of stance?
FWIW, the LCME did remove its ban on for-profit status.

However, he also seemed so strongly opposed any new schools, any free-standing schools, and any class size expansions, let alone for-profit schools. This school will meet all four of these.

FWIW, the LCME did remove its ban on for-profit status.

However, he also seemed so strongly opposed any new schools, any free-standing schools, and any class size expansions, let alone for-profit schools. This school will meet all four of these.
seriously, this makes me sick. people will do anything for money.

for shame.

Maybe we shouldn't rush to judgement. We don't know what the circumstances are. People make their decisions for reasons that are sometimes personal to them and that only they can understand. Maybe this school will be run with a healthy dose of sanity. Just the fact that they hired an ACGME-trained anesthesiologist as their dean says something about the direction they're going.

Maybe we shouldn't rush to judgement. We don't know what the circumstances are. People make their decisions for reasons that are sometimes personal to them and that only they can understand. Maybe this school will be run with a healthy dose of sanity. Just the fact that they hired an ACGME-trained anesthesiologist as their dean says something about the direction they're going.
Which is why I invited him to give his input. I'm definitely not trying to make any ideas about him or his character. figured he is the only person that could actually give his perspective and invited him to do so.

Which is why I invited him to give his input. I'm definitely not trying to make any ideas about him or his character. figured he is the only person that could actually give his perspective and invited him to do so.

No worries... my comment was directed at others who are already labelling him a hypocrite, etc. I too, would be interested to see what he has to say on here.

Reactions: 2 users
No worries... my comment was directed at others who are already labelling him a hypocrite, etc. I too, would be interested to see what he has to say on here.
A person who says one thing, turns around and does another. What is this person?

A person who says one thing, turns around and does another. What is this person?
Someone who changed their mind for one reason or another, whether it be financial motivation, or because he realized many of his views were unfounded. Personally, I change my mind about things frequently. I'm always open to the possibility that I could be wrong. Show me good evidence and a good argument and you just may sway me completely. I think being able to change your mind and your way of thinking requires a certain amount of maturity that many lack. (I don't mean jumping on every bandwagon there is or believing everything you hear our read on the interwebz)

And just to play with your question a bit...

(Please don't waste your time watching the whole thing. I just did a quick google search to give you a random video about hypocrisy)

...crickets from DO Anes...

Someone who changed their mind for one reason or another, whether it be financial motivation, or because he realized many of his views were unfounded. Personally, I change my mind about things frequently. I'm always open to the possibility that I could be wrong. Show me good evidence and a good argument and you just may sway me completely. I think being able to change your mind and your way of thinking requires a certain amount of maturity that many lack. (I don't mean jumping on every bandwagon there is or believing everything you hear our read on the interwebz)
You can change your mind and grow. It is something that is expected of a normal functional human being.

But their is a difference when you criticize, chastise, and implore others to repent. And then you turn around and do the same thing. You are a big fat hypocrite, and I hope that med school doesn't turn a profit or attract many applicants because this person should be regarded with suspect.

You can change your mind and grow. It is something that is expected of a normal functional human being.

But their is a difference when you criticize, chastise, and implore others to repent. And then you turn around and do the same thing. You are a big fat hypocrite, and I hope that med school doesn't turn a profit or attract many applicants because this person should be regarded with suspect.

1. He is indeed a hypocrite. Which is why he's avoided any response in this thread.

2. That school will turn a profit. Liberty had no trouble filling their class with desperate premeds. The supply will always exceed the demand making the business of creating new MD/DO schools will continue to be highly profitable. Regardless of the quality.

Last edited:
"First med school students in Las Cruces will be ineligible for federal aid for 2 years"
http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/2014/9/11/first_med_school_students_in_las.htm

Dr. Mychaskiw comments on the for-profit status in this article.

A NM state senator also states concerns regarding students receiving private loans ($48K tuition) as well as the school's for-profit status.

"Mychaskiw defended the for-profit model, saying it was the 'most reliable' way to start a college focused on New Mexico's needs. The college will have to meet the same national accreditation standards, including employment outcomes, as not-for-profit colleges, so the business model 'is irrelevant,' he said.

'The for-profit model has some legitimate criticisms ... but that doesn't apply to medical schools,' he said."

I'm all for people changing their minds, because usually that means they keep an open mind and remain receptive to other people's opinions/arguments... but... all I can say is that a lot must have changed over the last 4-5 yrs.

Last edited: