Opening your own store...buy existing or start fresh?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StallionRx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive considered the idea of going down this path for a few years. I'm just starting to seriously look into it.

For anyone that has decided to venture out on their own...would you recommend buying a business or starting new?

It seems like each would have their obvious pros and cons...but just wondering if there's any major pieces I may be missing.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a good number of threads about this with solid information. There are also successful owners who contribute to this site as well. Of course, some people have been asking for business plans and I don't see that happening.

I have been thinking about it myself for awhile but I'd rather partner up with someone, or at least gain independent pharmacy experience first.

I've been a pharmacy owner for almost a year. In that short time things have drastically changed for the worse. I would not recommend getting into independent pharmacy right now.

The last six months of 2014 had an unprecedented amount of generic price increase. Six months later many PBMs have not updated their MAC prices to reflect this and are still paying on the old lower rates. This has resulted in a massive amount of below cost reimbursement. A great example and by no means an outlier is Amitriptylene 100 mg. It's been been around forever and has been cheap forever. In May of 2014 a 100 ct bottle could be bought for $4.13. June 2014 a 100 ct bottle went up to $118.00. There are still PBMs basing reimbursement off the $4.13 cost.

January saw an absolute catastrophic fall in reimbursement. Most owners I've talked to have seen a 5% to 7% drop in gross margin. That's huge and nearly unrecoverable. A drug I was paid over my cost in December was reimbursed at $150 less than my cost in January. There was no change in the wholesale price of the drug. The PBM told me I was being reimbursed at my contracted rate based on market conditions...whatever that means.

Thanks to Obama Care there is now a new trick PBMs can use to steal from pharmacies. Its called the DIR fee (Direct and Indirect Remuneration). January saw this kick in for a large number of plans. On top of the lower reimbursement pharmacies are receiving we now get to pay the PBMs a DIR fee that ranges anywhere from $2 to 5.5% of EACH claim for the privilege of being a preferred pharmacy. EnvisionRx is one of the worst. I have a handful of patients whose plan uses this PBM. I'm not kidding, my reimbursement from EnvisionRx for January was negative. I actually had to remit money back to the PBM for filling scripts.

It's to the point where there is no possible way independent pharmacy can survive. I believe this is by design. I truly believe the goal is to force all retail pharmacy business to one of the big four chains and to mail order. Not because it saves money...because it makes more money for the PBMs and insurance companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ sorry to hear that! Is your business profitable?

Anymore input from other independent pharmacy owners? I don't doubt MountainPharmD's experience, it makes perfect sense. Anyone else got anything to add?

This infuriates me to no end. Complete and total bs. I noticed at Wal-Mart last year when I was manager our gross profit (ie reimbursement) went from 21% to just over 17%. Of course walmaet expected our profit to go up even tho they knew the reimbursement was dramatically dropping. It's hilarious to me how healthcare is villified by govt and news as high cost and high salary, yet business and wall street salaries aren't even in same stratosphere in Many cases. not to mention how insurance and pbms are raking in the profits being the middle men. Oh well, they will get their wish and those with brains and intelligence will desert healthcare if things keep going downhill at this pace in the next decade or two.

^^ sorry to hear that! Is your business profitable?

Volume is up however the lower reimbursement has me at barely break even. I had to lay off a part time technician and a part time pharmacist.

Failure is not an option so I'm putting together an aggressive plan to reach out to rural communities around me that are 30 miles from the nearest pharmacy. I've got a med sync program up and running which I will market to these communities. The bottom-line is I will need to increase my prescription volume by 25% to make the same as I did at this time last year.

Should be an interesting year! I expect there will be many independents closing this year.

Sorry to hear your business is struggling. It was always my dream to own my own pharmacy but several former pharmacy owners told me I would be better off buying a dunkin donuts franchise. The thought of having a PBM come in and recoup 50 or 100k in an audit for some bull**** reason is also a really scary thought. The chains have resources to fight it...or own the PBM and don't have to worry. I hope things turn around for you.

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear Mountain. Ive read many of your past posts here regarding your transition to independent. Best of luck and hope things improve. Its stories like that make me think twice before jumping in just yet. Healthcare is going through such a change and its tough to predict how to position one self for the future market.

Have you considered sterile compounding along with your business?

Looks like Dr. M got out at the right time...pretty much had the dream scenario actually come true.

It's a catch 22. As more independents close, you get an increase in market share, but you have to keep in mind why these businesses close. You can make money in independent pharmacy, but it's a lot harder than it used to be.

As an independent sterile compounder, the increased regulatory climate and scrutiny I only see as opportunity. The significant barriers to entry in this niche make it a prime target if, and only if, you have the capital to go big and fast. You can't limp into a segment with significant barriers to entry and for sterile compounding to be profitable, you have to do a significant amount of volume and you have to do it RIGHT! There are too many BS pharmacies that aren't following the rules and ruining it for everyone. (ie NECC).

In terms of buying vs. a fresh start:
How much capital do you have? Can you afford to not pay yourself for up to 3 years? Is you strategy sound? What is your plan? How are you going to differentiate yourself from everyone else?

The standard retail business model is no longer sufficient. You have to do a significant amount of volume and the break even is much higher than it was, even 5 years ago.
With all this being said, this is all cyclical and if you can survive this lull, you may come out on top.

Sorry to hear your business is struggling. It was always my dream to own my own pharmacy but several former pharmacy owners told me I would be better off buying a dunkin donuts franchise. The thought of having a PBM come in and recoup 50 or 100k in an audit for some bull**** reason is also a really scary thought. The chains have resources to fight it...or own the PBM and don't have to worry. I hope things turn around for you.

That's the hell of it...business is good. Script count is increasing as well as front end sales. If I could get the PBMs to fairly pay me I would be fine. It's hard to make it in any business when you can't sell your product for more than you buy it for.

PBMs are what's destroying health care. They are destroying community pharmacies. And yet, they keep making record profits year after year after year. How does this make sense?

I have a prescription being audited by EnvisionRx for Seroquel 200mg brand. MD wrote take 2 tablets at bedtime. We wrote on the label take 1 to 2 tablets at bedtime. We had the doctor write a letter for us stating it was okay. The insurance audited us a year ago for the fill. Now, after everything is resolved, their dumbas*es are auditing us for the 1st refill. How does this even make sense?

Reactions: 1 user
Ive considered the idea of going down this path for a few years. I'm just starting to seriously look into it.

For anyone that has decided to venture out on their own...would you recommend buying a business or starting new?

It seems like each would have their obvious pros and cons...but just wondering if there's any major pieces I may be missing.

There is information available from orgs and conventions/seminars you can attend for information. What has been mentioned about PBMs is true, and it's obvious that PBMs will **** with your business until you go bankrupt. Cheap generics, where profit used to be, is not the same and the market/face of pharmacy has been drastically changing. Owners are no longer safe and with this extremely variable market that is heading in an unknown direction, it's hard to say what will happen in just a few years time.

What are your reasons for wanting to own a business? I believe that is the first question you need to answer before doing anything. If you're going into pharmacy to make a lot of money, you're probably getting into the wrong business. If you're already set for life and want to do charity work, then you're absolutely getting into the right business. Are there new pharm owners who have made a lot of money? Of course. There is a pharmacy that grew from $1.6mil to 37mil/year fairly recently (independent with 2 owners). However, how many pharmacies out there went under or had to close their doors? How about pharmacies that are stagnant and barely staying afloat? You need to sit down for a very long time and do a no bull-sh1t assessment of your financials, and once you arrive at a number, have someone with experience look at your estimates for a second and third opinion. Do you have a family? Does your spouse have a steady income? If you're single, are you planning to start a family soon? Do you have kids / alimony to consider? What will you leverage if you need a loan? Will you need partners or a co-owner? How about your mortgage and investments? What happens when you need to infuse a bolus of $125k into your business to pay vendors by March 1st, 2015? What will you do when a PBM sticks a rod up your _ and delays payment after you dispense Revlimid? What will you do when your main source of patients needs you to fill an emergency supply of [insert specialty drug here that you don't have access to]? How will you protect your physical assets? If something goes wrong, you better have the ability to handle extraordinary problems with ordinary resources.

Concerning PBMs, I signed on with a certain PBM this year and I terminated the contract 32 days into it. It's laughable at how dumb some PBMs take their pharmacies to be... but what's more disturbing is the complicated data mining that goes on with PBMs, pharmacy, patients, etc. I digress.

If you like excitement, risk and the pleasure of knowing that you created something - that it's yours... that you made it... that you own it... try your hand at business. Don't limit yourself to just pharmacy. You will have an edge over non-pharmacist owners but is what you know or what you can do... really an edge in today's evolving market?
Put it this way - if you buy an existing pharmacy, you really need to know what you're buying into.
If you want to start fresh, well... it's a wild ride. I'm having a lot of fun. HAHA.

My rule is to never go into business because you don't like your 9-5 job or your boss. You should only go into business because it is your calling and you have the skills and the hard work to make it into a success. Be prepare to work twice as hard for a fraction of the pay. Do it while you are still young when you don't have as many obligations, when you still have the drive and energy.

Reactions: 1 user