Ophtho vs Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

locols

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a U.S. medical student who has finished both a rotation on ophtho and derm and seem to like them equally in terms of the nature of the work inherent to each field. I am now sort of stuck because I guess it comes down to salary, hours, call, future outlook etc. in between these two fields. I would like to stick to private practice. Could you please tell me what you think are the differences between these two fields in terms of the categories I have listed or any other big differences maybe I should consider? Any derm or ophtho guys/gals out there regretting their decision or maybe wishing they had known something before they picked? I would appreciate any help.

Note: I read the old Derm vs Ophtho thread and it is a hate fest/ flame war that doesn't really help me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a U.S. medical student who has finished both a rotation on ophtho and derm and seem to like them equally in terms of the nature of the work inherent to each field. I am now sort of stuck because I guess it comes down to salary, hours, call, future outlook etc. in between these two fields. I would like to stick to private practice. Could you please tell me what you think are the differences between these two fields in terms of the categories I have listed or any other big differences maybe I should consider? Any derm or ophtho guys/gals out there regretting their decision or maybe wishing they had known something before they picked? I would appreciate any help.

Note: I read the old Derm vs Ophtho thread and it is a hate fest/ flame war that doesn't really help me.

:rolleyes:

Seems like you picked these two purely on lifestyle and salary.

Seeing as they have literally nothing in common................

:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Superficially, I agree they have a lot in common.

1) Visually? Yeah, they're both visual. But then again, so is path. And radiology. I really wouldn't mention "being visual" as a reason to pursue either field in an interview. PDs have heard it a million times.

2) Both offer a nice mixture of surgical/procedural interventions but ophtho is much heavier than this than dermatology. At our school, ophtho is considered a surgical sub-specialty.

3) See Point #2, again both offer a nice mixture of clinic/procedures. But the ophtho residents spend a lot more time in the OR/doing procedures than the derm residents.

4) Again, both are highly specialized. But there's a different degree. In one case, you're staring at two organs only. In the other, you're covering an entire body and investigating the internal processes that may create external manifestations.

Perhaps I'm just cynical but I always find it hard to believe that someone could like both equally. Especially when they come to a forum looking for lifestyle/call/salary reasons to select one over the other.

Simple answer: you'll live a more than comfortable lifestyle and make better than average money in both fields. I will agree it comes down to picking the one you are actually enthusiastic about.

I have to disagree, respectfully...derm and ophtho actually have a lot in common.

--they are both very visual (pattern recognition oriented)
--both surgical/procedural
--mostly clinic + OR/procedures (NOT hospital based)
--highly specialized

I can see how you like them both. I considered ophtho myself before deciding on dermatology.

First off, they are both fantastic fields. What it really comes down to is what you can see yourself LOVING each and every day. Med school + residency is a lot of work, and in the end, only you can decide what is worth it. Which field excites you more...which can you see yourself still enjoying after 20 years? Which field would you rather read about on a rainy day? I'd recommend doing some "soul searching" and perhaps some additional rotations (away or at home) before making your decision.

Good luck!

How about hours/salary? Pretty much comparable? Any difference on future outlook?

Oh, some interesting choices here. Skin, or the eye. If a specialty came out specific to the belly button (umbilicology, let's call it), offering a 25-hour workweek and 300k/yr, you'd do it, wouldn't you?

Why is it such a big deal that our OP is deciding between two fields that pay very well? Heck, I think anyone who does not consider $/hr in their future career plans is being a little ignorant! Some people find money to be extremely important in their lives, and thus select specialties with that in mind first. We shouldn't be so sanctimonious and judgmental!

So, let's say the OP did just that. So, now, out of all well paying specialties, there are two that the OP finds interesting: derm and ophtho.

I'll put a shout-out to derm on this one, mainly because of the variety. Ophtho tends to be bread-and-butter, which I hear can get somewhat repetitive. Derm is where the ID and GIM guys send patients that they can't figure out.

I'll put a shout-out to derm on this one, mainly because of the variety. Ophtho tends to be bread-and-butter, which I hear can get somewhat repetitive. Derm is where the ID and GIM guys send patients that they can't figure out.

Everything is repetitive. You think skin checks/acne visits don't get old?

Everything is repetitive. You think skin checks/acne visits don't get old?

They do... everything becomes "a job" at some point, whether you have convinced yourself that "you love it" or not. Find something that fits your personality and will allow you to live the life that you want to live. If you want a beach front mansion somewhere on an inhabited coast, better find a rich ol' sick person to start shacking up with, b/c you won't be doing it on the money that a medical career provides.

Both are great specialties.

If you want to be able to find a job literally anywhere in the country, derm is more likely. There is a lot of competition in ophtho, especially if you consider optometry as a threat.