Opinion on Biotechnology major?

BioBeaver

Rah Virginia Mil.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to apply to IU, and I was wondering your guys' opinion on the Biotechnology major there. Here is the link to the program's site:

http://www.indiana.edu/~mcbdept/biotech/

I'm confused by this program.... Is it basically a Biomedical Engineering major? I know I don't want to just major in 'plain' Biology, and from what I've researched on Biotech it sounds right up my alley. But then there is the ultimate question: risk the GPA for a major with more job prospects, or do the easy major but risk job opportunities.

Advice hSDNers?

Members don't see this ad.

BME is ENGINEERING (math, physics).

I always thought Biotechnology was genetics and manipulating agar plates, tubes, pipettes, and microbes (lab stuff).

Now YOU gotta figure out what you want to do!

There are SO MANY medicals schools (with more to open) and SO MANY ways to get admitted to medical school... so if you really want something to happen, it'll happen.
Going pre-med is NOT like going into a war zone because SO MANY people survive. It's NOT a big deal.

Your dilemma is so weird - why in the world would you be worried about getting a job if you're someone who works hard for what you want?

Do you really like the possibility of working in a lab or in industry?
If you don't, are you really just going to quit your goal of becoming a physician?

Really?

Last edited:
Biotechnology isn't biomedical engineering. It's lab stuff. Hillo hit this one on the head.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm wondering the difference between a normal Biology major and this Biotech major. From what I gathered, Biotech is using Biology to create products for human use; but couldn't a Biology major do that as well?

I think the name gives it away. I mean, bio is a general major...BMe has emphasis on engineering...biotech is emphasis on using your knowledge in bio and harnessing and applying it in terms of tech.
You really like biology that much?
You do not have another interest?
A major is something for you to fall back on. There are a lot if other majors that are high paying too you know.
You're going to have bio courses because of premed anyway....

and if your Mcat score isn't high enough, there's always the Caribbean.

Oh lawwwwwwwwwwwdie lawdddddd

Says the SAT-studying freshman.... :whistle:

f_461e16abac.jpg

what is life

smh.. I took a practice test to gauge where I am.. For example, if I were at 1500, I'd have to start studying then (since I want to go to a top school). However, I'm around 1900, so I can hold off for another year or so.

YankeesMD, you want to be a doctor, but you can't even use your brain.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
smh.. I took a practice test to gauge where I am.. For example, if I were at 1500, I'd have to start studying then (since I want to go to a top school). However, I'm around 1900, so I can hold off for another year or so.

YankeesMD isn't even in this thread, awk :oops:

I think I'd say I'm leaning more towards Purdue right now, and I applied as a Health & Disease Biology major there. Here is the link to the curriculum:

https://www.bio.purdue.edu/Academic/undergrad/ps2011/HLDS_2011.pdf

What do you guys think of this track? I think it can save me the burn-out some normal Bio majors might get when they get to ecology or evolutionary bio, replacing those with disease or health related subjects. I'm sure there's potential for some great research in this field as well.

I agree with you docwei88..

and tolbert, she asked what's wrong with looking at the sat early.. lawd

I think I'd say I'm leaning more towards Purdue right now, and I applied as a Health & Disease Biology major there. Here is the link to the curriculum:

https://www.bio.purdue.edu/Academic/undergrad/ps2011/HLDS_2011.pdf

What do you guys think of this track? I think it can save me the burn-out some normal Bio majors might get when they get to ecology or evolutionary bio, replacing those with disease or health related subjects. I'm sure there's potential for some great research in this field as well.

Yes! And if you dont like the classes...you can always switch...I think. ^.^

I can't even deal with you
Like what
No

Major in whatever you think is the most interesting to you. If you're legitimately interested in it, your GPA shouldn't suffer to the degree where you wouldn't get into medical school. You won't stand out to medical school admissions by picking that over biology.

Sounds like a cool program though!