Opinion on how to improve application...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Bio Stats: 191/224/pass/USIMG/Caribbean Grad

Red Flags:
Low Step 1 score
5 year (consecutive) gap
between 2nd and 3 year of medical school

Pros:
3 strong LORs
PS explains gap (lack of financial support to complete school)
Worked in clinical lab during 5 years off
No Fails

Q1: What is more condemning? The 5 year gap or the low step 1 score.

Q2: Should I retake step 1 (possible after Nov this year) OR should I just take step 3 and hope for the best?

Q3: What other suggestions to improve application?

Members don't see this ad.

Q1 - It's going to be an uphill battle for multiple reasons, including being caribbean grad, 5 year gap, and step 1 score although you did pass and you did decent on step 2 should help you make the case that you can still take tests and that you didn't lose your skills.

Q2 - I don't think retaking step 1 will get you much, and honestly it's been a while since you had basic sciences so you run the risk of doing worse on it. You have a passing score and a passing step 2 with no fails, stick with that for at least one application cycle. Step 3 is +/-, again you didn't fail any steps and you did decent on step 2 so I think you've already shown that you can pass tests, as far as I know taking step 3 before intern year starts won't buy you too much and again, you risk doing poorly on it without much benefit.

Q3 - Apply really broadly, you won't get to be picky, apply to community programs and in less desirable locations. Your goal should be as many interviews as possible, do well on them, and rank every program you interview at. Have a good reason why you want to do FM and be passionate about it, the minute people get the sense you're doing it just because you have no other options or as a backup you're going down on the rank list.

Reactions: 1 user