Opinions for a Junior

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMSdreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so here is my situation. I am a junior at a university. I started at a community college and received 3 associates degrees in two years averaging 21 credit hours per semester and wound up with a 4.00 GPA. This confidence boost led me to believe I could handle 17 credit hours of upper level science classes as a transfer to my university. I am in thermodynamics, calculus 3, cell biology, anatomy, and physics. Obviously I did not think this through because I have absolutely no life and hardly any time to actually study for tests because I have so much homework. So it looks like I may get As in all my classes except 2 Bs in thermo and calculus. I am definitely cutting back next semester. My question is will this look bad to a medical school admissions. I have read that if the trending grades roll over to a university it will not look bad but if I don't do as well it can put into question if the community college was challenging.

I know ECs are important so I have been volunteering for hospice, humane society, a tutoring organization, and meals on wheels. I am now at 260 hours of community service. I have my emt license which I plan on getting the job next semester and I have shadowed 150 hours in the operating room. I have received various awards for voluntary work and I will be doing a research program over the summer. I am doing everything I possibly can to pump up my resume but now my grades are beginning to worry me.

I would drop a class but a withdraw would look like a failing grade on a transcript and trust me if I had more time I would be getting straight As.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so here is my situation. I am a junior at a university. I started at a community college and received 3 associates degrees in two years averaging 21 credit hours per semester and wound up with a 4.00 GPA. This confidence boost led me to believe I could handle 17 credit hours of upper level science classes as a transfer to my university. I am in thermodynamics, calculus 3, cell biology, anatomy, and physics. Obviously I did not think this through because I have absolutely no life and hardly any time to actually study for tests because I have so much homework. So it looks like I may get As in all my classes except 2 Bs in thermo and calculus. I am definitely cutting back next semester. My question is will this look bad to a medical school admissions. I have read that if the trending grades roll over to a university it will not look bad but if I don't do as well it can put into question if the community college was challenging.

I know ECs are important so I have been volunteering for hospice, humane society, a tutoring organization, and meals on wheels. I am now at 260 hours of community service. I have my emt license which I plan on getting the job next semester and I have shadowed 150 hours in the operating room. I have received various awards for voluntary work and I will be doing a research program over the summer. I am doing everything I possibly can to pump up my resume but now my grades are beginning to worry me.

I would drop a class but a withdraw would look like a failing grade on a transcript and trust me if I had more time I would be getting straight As.
I suggest you ease back on the ECs and concentrate on grades more. Great extracurriculars won't do you any good if your stats aren't competitive at a targeted institution.

Consider shadowing in a situation where you can observe doctors interacting with conscious patients. I know it was fun, but considering you are time-challenged, the last 100 hours of your shadowing time could have been better spent.

A GPA dip on first transferring to a 4-year school is common. So long as you course correct and fix what you're doing wrong, it won't reflect badly on you. Keep in mind that college GPAs are presented in a year-by-year format, so this term's marks will be diluted by an adjacent semester's. Two Bs won't kill you considering your already excellent GPA.

A W will do you far less harm than a C on your transcript. By no means would it be interpreted as "like a failing grade."

Reactions: 1 users