Opioid issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chrish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often do you see plain Oxycodone 30 prescriptions at your pharmacy? Do you go through the step by step process of verifying it with the provider or do you instantly deny it? And under any condition, is it okay for a family doc to prescribe it?

And how do you handle if your partner is not on the same page as you? I mean if they are filling these rxs that you would have denied? Do you communicate with them directly or you just keep it to yourself? I know that you can't really question their discretion or vice versa. And can you tell patient to come back on the days you aren't there if they insist that other pharmacists has filled it?

PS saying it's out of stock isn't an option. I work at a place where people have been written up for lying to patients. So, only option is either filling it or directly denying it.

Members don't see this ad.

How often do you see plain Oxycodone 30 prescriptions at your pharmacy? Do you go through the step by step process of verifying it with the provider or do you instantly deny it? And under any condition, is it okay for a family doc to prescribe it?

And how do you handle if your partner is not on the same page as you? I mean if they are filling these rxs that you would have denied? Do you communicate with them directly or you just keep it to yourself? I know that you can't really question their discretion or vice versa. And can you tell patient to come back on the days you aren't there if they insist that other pharmacists has filled it?

PS saying it's out of stock isn't an option. I work at a place where people have been written up for lying to patients. So, only option is either filling it or directly denying it.

CDC opioid guidelines are your friend, I do not fill anything over 90 mme per day unless cancer/hospice. Simply have the synopsis printed out with the general conversions (ie 60mg of oxycodone/day is the max). Gets rid of your seekers pretty fast.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Just say no and be firm. Use guidelines like dr. Wario said. I haven't filled oxy 30s in a long time and when I do... it's hospice or cancer. Gone are the days of oxy 30s and dx chronic pain syndrome.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I say it’s out of stock. Because we don’t have any. Problem solved.

Main issue here isn’t about denying the script. But about dealing with partner with the different opinion on the issue.

Personally if the script is from out of town, I see no reason to waste time verifying it as I am not gonna fill it.