Opioid Overdose Epidemic Easing Organ Donation Shortages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Well, I guess an organ is an organ. So what if there is a little Hep C floating around.

Well, I guess an organ is an organ. So what if there is a little Hep C floating around.
Oh wow! I totally did not know that all addicts had Hep C! Good to know. Now I'm not ignorant anymore. Whew. Thank you for enlightening me. God, and to think I almost sat next to one at lunch yesterday. You're a lifesaver! I'd rather go without that organ transplant and die. (Sarcasm ofcourse, this would be ignorant and judgmental wouldn't it?)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow! I totally did not know that all addicts had Hep C! Good to know. Now I'm not ignorant anymore. Whew. Thank you for enlightening me. God, and to think I almost sat next to one at lunch yesterday. You're a lifesaver! I'd rather go without that organ transplant and die. (Sarcasm ofcourse, this would be ignorant and judgmental wouldn't it?)

IV drug use is by far the leading risk factor for Hep C. According to the CDC, over 53% of all new cases of Hep C in the US is due to IVDA.

84% of the cases of Acute hep C have IVDA as a risk factor.

No other risk factor has >8% rate of infection. Perinatal transmission rate is 5%, dialysis may be 8%; everything else is currently <1% risk.

In Italy, 68% of IVDA are Hep C + (not all are acutely infected).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Back in the 1980's the Governor of Iowa vetoed a law requiring helmets while wearing a motorcycle. His reason was that the state needed more organ donors.

You might want to get tested.