Opportunities in Europe/UK for US Dentists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tandem7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-
While I understand thinking about this may be a little premature for me (I'm an incoming DDS student--class of 2018), I'm already thinking about my future and doing some preliminary research. I am well-traveled and I know I would enjoy practicing dentistry in the US where I live and abroad, particularly in the UK. I've spent a substantial amount of time in the UK, and if the opportunity was right as a dentist, I would love to practice there.

I've already looked into the licensing requirements to practice dentistry there--for US dentists that graduate from a US dental school--you just need to take an expensive two part exam without additional schooling. Assuming I pass this requirement, what do you think the job prospects are like for US dentists with a DDS in England or other English-speaking countries in Europe (i.e. Ireland, Monaco, etc.)? Do any of you have experience with this?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

hi there,

i am an international trained dentist, currently doing my residency in the states. i did my BDS in England and i did work there for a couple of years.
the answer to your question depends on what you want to do in england . are looking to work in Private practice? or are you looking to go through the NHS system? do you want a hospital job ? where do you wanna practice exactly ? you should ask your self all those questions before deciding on what you want to do. The NHS system is the government run system that most dentist go through after graduation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since the USA does not allow foreign degrees without further dental schooling in the US, the other countries reciprocate. In other words, you most likely will have to do some schooling there. There could be exceptions in the public health sector, but it wouldn't pay as well.

This is a great topic. Does anyone have any input?