Opportunity for International Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - hoping some current residents and/or attendings can help answer this one for me. I'm interested in psych but would also love to do pro bono work internationally. I've spent a fair bit of time living/traveling internationally before medical school and have always wanted to return to some of the regions I've traveled, either via doctors without borders or a similar organization.

Given language barriers, how useful are psychiatrists to individuals living in third world nations? Is there anything psych docs can do? Would many of you feel comfortable providing first aid/basic check ups in the field?

Members don't see this ad.

there are volunteer organizations that if you have an unrestricted license you can participate, although they tend to prefer those other primary care specialties like peds, EM, FM, ob/gyn

I don't know if your psych intern year is the sort of intern year that lets you get the sort of license to practice on your own that one year in IM or FM can get you

Members don't see this ad :)
From a purely utilitarian standpoint, to help communities abroad in need, there is one gold standard: spend your time moonlighting, save the money, then write a check to donate to experts on the ground who can assist with training up local resources and running programs on the ground. But this obviously is not as sexy as actually doing the work hands-on directly. And I respect that.

If you are interested in actually providing quality care, you will be looking to do provide sustainable care locally. The sustainable adjective is what separates actual development work from tourism. The sustainable aspect also suggests doing less hands on care of locals in the community and more skills development of other professionals who will be there long after you leave. So to provide this care, your best bet is going to be become the best psychiatrist you can be and get plenty of experience working in resource-constrained environments (which is consistent with most county-funded training environments).

Many psychiatry residencies will highlight their "international psychiatry" credentials. Some are the "2 months in Haiti" or "1 month in Congo." Some of these are outright exploitive. Some of them are built on the efforts of a few faculty who have funding for international development efforts. For the latter category, resident participation is fine (and immensely satisfying; who doesn't want to treat the world's poor?) but the net outcome of the work is not the time spent by residents at the clinic but the dull-to-most work done at the higher levels allocating funds for medicine, physical plant, and training materials. That's where the good happens. Not the work done in the clinic for the month.

If you want to get involved in international psychiatry, look at residencies that have fellowships in global psychiatry. I'm not advocating that you should do one, but these programs that have fellowships (and/or masters or MPH in global health) tend to attract faculty who do research in the area and have funds to develop sustainable care in their target communities. Get involved heavily in the behind the scenes work that leads to the boots-on-ground care. You'll get a lot more out of one of these training settings than you will at most programs that offer the "1 month in Congo," which is typically one or two faculty members that did a month in Congo when they were residents and keep that train going. Outcome and benefits of such programs are highly variable.

And last point, if you want to really get involved in things like Doctors Without Borders and the like (MSF has a massive advertising budget, so they are the ones folks tend to think of first, though their psych is not the model), you already have one of the qualities they like to see, which is past experience living in a developing nation. If you are serious about doing good work, devote time in residency to learning Spanish or French (or another language if you have a specific region in mind). Work hard in residency developing excellent clinical chops, particularly with psychopharmacology (particularly generics). Get as much experience with teaching as you can (this will be the biggest bang you can have in a developing world context). Align yourself with folks who do research on outcomes in this area.

Doing the elective "2 months in Haiti" or "1 month in Congo" would be a heap of fun and you'll get great photographs, but I wouldn't opt for a school that has that over another program with better training that didn't. The developing world needs well-trained providers, not folks heading down as hobbyists.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi - hoping some current residents and/or attendings can help answer this one for me. I'm interested in psych but would also love to do pro bono work internationally. I've spent a fair bit of time living/traveling internationally before medical school and have always wanted to return to some of the regions I've traveled, either via doctors without borders or a similar organization.

Given language barriers, how useful are psychiatrists to individuals living in third world nations? Is there anything psych docs can do? Would many of you feel comfortable providing first aid/basic check ups in the field?

Psychiatrists are definetly needed abroad. Check out WHO's Project ATLAS for a sense of how bad the need is. The real questions are: in what capacity, and does it need to be you?

I can only speak to MSF, but for field work, language skills are crucial and required. French, Arabic, Spanish, and Portuguese are the big 4. French has the widest application. You'd be surprised at how much capacity they've built up. They emphasise a multidisciplinary approach, with social workers, psychologists, and psychiatrists working together to provide comprehensive care, and your psychopharmacological skills would be valuable.

But probably the greatest good you can do in developing nations would be to earn as much money as you can and then buy lots of mosquito nets to ship over...

Also, "third world" is anachronistic and harkens back to the Cold War. Developing nations might be more appropriate. I only mention it because it's a pet peeve for some.

Last edited:
Psychiatrists can provide direct care if they are fluent in the target language. Many environments will provide interpreters, but this can be sticky. Most of the work is train-the-trainer.

I'm not sure of the utility of doing "first aid/basic check ups" in the field. The danger with intern-level knowledge (which is what you will have as a psychiatrist or psychiatrist-in-training for most medical care) is that you don't know what you don't know. You may catch a zebra here and there but there is a higher likelihood you'll miss it and potentially do more harm than good.

I don't mean to come across cynical with this, but I've done development work in eastern europe back in the day and latin america and the thing you'll find is that there is often a flurry of activity of folks coming down from the States with big fanfare, slap on band aids and then leave having made very little impact and sometimes done more harm than good (local governments reducing health care funding based on the fact that so much had been provided by their norteamericano partners). Development work can certainly be done well, but it's done well by professionals. I advise folks to train well and gain experience in residency so that they can go down and devote a good amount of efforts as a subject matter expert. Not to be yet another American using developing nations as their training ground. It can be exploitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, "third world" is anachronistic and harkens back to the Cold War. Developing nations might be more appropriate. I only mention it because it's a pet peeve for some.
And rightly so. The host community is referred to as the "third world" with the United States and much of the west considering themselves "first world." It's hard to shrug off colonial implications with that. Particularly when the bulk of "experts" we send down are still in training themselves.

Reactions: 1 user

Sorry, I don't mean to pile on, and I truly admire the humanitarian impulse, but can I just say that there are a lot of poor people in the US? They need pro bono work too! You already know the language, the resources, the culture, and some would argue the lower Mississippi Delta or parts of the Appalachian are almost as under-resourced as some developing nations...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry, I don't mean to pile on, and I truly admire the humanitarian impulse, but can I just say that there are a lot of poor people in the US. They need pro bono work too! You already know the language, the resources, the culture, and some would argue the lower Mississippi Delta or parts of the Appalachian are almost as under-resourced as some developing nations...

If you have the faintest interest in addiction work, Appalachia stands in desperate need of you. It is also radically different from the US mainstream culturally and so might scratch a little bit of that itch of international work.

Fair warning, if you re not from a neighboring state, good chance they will find your accent impenetrable.

Reactions: 1 users
If you have the faintest interest in addiction work, Appalachia stands in desperate need of you. It is also radically different from the US mainstream culturally and so might scratch a little bit of that itch of international work.

Fair warning, if you re not from a neighboring state, good chance they will find your accent impenetrable.

Aussie meets an Appalachian. Hilarity ensues.

Reactions: 2 users
Aussie meets an Appalachian. Hilarity ensues.
Hey both have a colonization Irish connection. Both cultures shipped away about the same time some as prisoners some as indentured servants. Some cultural similarities and moments of recognition will be there amongst the differences. And possibly thst may happen in senses of humour and indominatble spirit

Hey both have a colonization Irish connection. Both cultures shipped away about the same time some as prisoners some as indentured servants. Some cultural similarities and moments of recognition will be there amongst the differences. And possibly thst may happen in senses of humour and indominatble spirit

Also, beer.

Usually psychiatrists who are involved in these sorts of programs (the better ones anyway) are not in a treatment role and are focusing on program development and training local people to deliver treatments (emphasizing the sustainability ndy was talking about).

Global mental health has become somewhat sexy in recent years and many applicants are interested in this and residency programs are capitalizing it. Here is a brief critique of this trend:
The problem with education in global mental health