Optics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3dee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly does it mean when a question asks: "what happens to a concave mirror when an image is placed beyond the focal point?" or "inside its focal point"

What does it mean in terms of (1/f) =(1/i) + (1/o)
I cant find it in my book and dont remember any optics from physics.

Also, is it true that even though a concave mirror is real and inverted it could produce a virtual image depending on where you move the the object?? I am confused on what is moved and how it affects things! Does this work with convex mirrors/lenses too?

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly does it mean when a question asks: "what happens to a concave mirror when an image is placed beyond the focal point?" or "inside its focal point"

What does it mean in terms of (1/f) =(1/i) + (1/o)
I cant find it in my book and dont remember any optics from physics.

Also, is it true that even though a concave mirror is real and inverted it could produce a virtual image depending on where you move the the object?? I am confused on what is moved and how it affects things! Does this work with convex mirrors/lenses too?

That means that your object distance (p) is greater than the f and less than f respectively. if you solve using the equation. I think that you should look at the internet, these are very basic q's. Real and Inverted when P>f, at f, no image and P<f, Virtual, upright.

Look at the chart at the top of this sheet. It will answer many of your questions.

http://www.freelance-teacher.com/physics_optics.pdf

Basically, when the object is placed within the focal point (f) of a concave lens or mirror, the image will be upright, virtual, and magnified.

If you move it between the (f) and (2f), it becomes real, inverted, and magnified.