Optional Photo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bionerd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, on AADSAS, it says University Michigan wants the application fee and DAT score and a photo, but it says the photo is optional. Huh? So is it good to send the photo in? Makes you more competitive??:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

if you're good looking the picture will make a BIG difference in gaining you an acceptance. if you're ugly, it's a deal breaker. post a picture and we'll tell you if it's worth sending in.

jb!

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're good looking the picture will make a BIG difference in gaining you an acceptance. if you're ugly, it's a deal breaker. post a picture and we'll tell you if it's worth sending in.

jb!

I guess I'm gonna need that Photoshop editing!!

Although the AADSAS info for Michigan says the photo is optional, when Michigan sends you their "yellow form" which indicates which parts of your application they have and what they need from you, they will require a 2x2 photo. Not quite sure why AADSAS lists it as optional, because it seems as though Michigan requires this photo. Oh, and make sure you sign the back of it. I sent in a photo with my application fee and they said they needed another photo.

might make the application a little more personal. It will be hard for them to reject you if you give em the puppy dog eyes.

might make the application a little more personal. It will be hard for them to reject you if you give em the puppy dog eyes.

Haha...it's kinda hard to give the puppy eyes when you have Asian eyes :laugh:

Haha...it's kinda hard to give the puppy eyes when you have Asian eyes :laugh:

Lol, touché...

But seriously, if they can put a face to an application, they may think twice before rejecting. Not going to save everyone, but if theres a remote possibility of it helping, im doing it.

I think you'll be good either way though...good luck!

might make the application a little more personal.

very true. anytime the school can put a face to the name is good - unless it's because of academic dishonesty.

send a pic! and don't worry there are many good looking and not so good looking dentists.

might make the application a little more personal.

Yep, yep. I volunteered for a hospital before and one of the things I did was sort out applications for cardiology fellowship candidates. It definitely helps to have your pic on your application b/c it makes your application have a human dimension to it. Make sure to get a good photo too, ie smiling, looking smart, etc.