Optional Video Post in PhD Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cam88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello--

I'm applying to Clinical Psych PhD programs currently and came across an OPTIONAL video segment in the University of Kansas's application. It is a minute long and is supposed to explain why I want to go to school there.

Even though I really don't want to, I'm leaning towards recording it because it seems like it could only help them put a face to the application, but I'm not too confident it's going to be a great video. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether doing this video would really help?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello--

I'm applying to Clinical Psych PhD programs currently and came across an OPTIONAL video segment in the University of Kansas's application. It is a minute long and is supposed to explain why I want to go to school there.

Even though I really don't want to, I'm leaning towards recording it because it seems like it could only help them put a face to the application, but I'm not too confident it's going to be a great video. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether doing this video would really help?

Interesting. I wonder what information they would get from a 1 minute video. To me, it seems like they are more likely to get a sense for things that they legally can't require you to disclose (age, ethnicity, etc) or a general feel for how you look and sound. I don't see the point in the video.

Interesting. I wonder what information they would get from a 1 minute video. To me, it seems like they are more likely to get a sense for things that they legally can't require you to disclose (age, ethnicity, etc) or a general feel for how you look and sound. I don't see the point in the video.

Agreed. That is very strange and I probably wouldn't do it (unless it was really my top choice school). There's just something off about it. There's really not much to be gained from 1 minute other than what you look like.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of this request before, and though optional, it seems a bit much (isn't this what interviews are for?). With that said though, I do see some value in it beyond gleaning info such as race, age, etc. You can tell a lot about one's social skill even in a brief video clip.

This reminds me of some interesting research out there (work by Friedman and Oltmanns comes to mind) examining thin slice ratings of behavior from short video clips (I think 30 sec) of participants who were asked to talk about themselves. I think the general finding was that there was a negative correlation between ratings of likeability and attractiveness and personality disorder traits related to schizoid and schizotypal PD.

Maybe some faculty at the University of Kansas have had particularly bad experiences with applicants who looked great on paper but were incredibly socially awkward in person.. and don't want to waste any interview spots?

I wouldn't do it... that's just me. Not that I would be bad on video tape, just that I don't think it's a fair way to vet candidates prior to interviewing them. If they like you enough to watch your video, they like you enough to bring you in for an interview.

It seems silly to me, but I also think they wouldn't mention it if they didn't want it. It might be optional because some applicants might not have access to the needed equiptment or tech savvy.

I'd take a stab at it and run it by a few people. If you come off likable and friendly, send it. If you come off as stiff and awkward, skip it.

I also think sending it shows that you are willing to do everything you need to to get in. You'll "play ball" even with their silly ideas.

Lots of luck,
Dr. E