Optional Writing Sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovefash67

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to find a threaf on this topic but cant't seem to find anything. One of the schools that I am applying to stated that submitting a writing sample is optional. So, should I send one or not. Or will it be a good idead to call and ask?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd submit one because it's another opportunity to showcase your abilities. A better sample would be something you've published or a portion of your thesis if you did one. Otherwise a well written paper from a class can be used.

I'd submit one because it's another opportunity to showcase your abilities. A better sample would be something you've published or a portion of your thesis if you did one. Otherwise a well written paper from a class can be used.

I have not published a paper, but I do have a research paper that I would like to use. Thank You

Members don't see this ad :)
As a faculty member, I can tell you that if a writing sample is optional, it really is optional (at least for us). I might skim through it just to get a basic sense of the writing, but I won't look at it very closely. In fact, I'd probably suggest against including one unless you KNOW it's stellar, because I could see myself, all other things equal, likely to veto someone based on a sub-par writing sample. That is, a good writing sample won't help much, but a less great one could hurt you. Of course, that's just me, and I'm but one of hundreds of potential PIs out there, so take my words with a grain of salt!

As a faculty member, I can tell you that if a writing sample is optional, it really is optional (at least for us). I might skim through it just to get a basic sense of the writing, but I won't look at it very closely. In fact, I'd probably suggest against including one unless you KNOW it's stellar, because I could see myself, all other things equal, likely to veto someone based on a sub-par writing sample. That is, a good writing sample won't help much, but a less great one could hurt you. Of course, that's just me, and I'm but one of hundreds of potential PIs out there, so take my words with a grain of salt!

What about a co-authored publication from a peer-reviewed journal? Would that be good to submit as an optional writing sample as long as it's "stellar" or should one shy away from that if they are not first-author?

Does it reflect your actual writing ability (i.e., did you help write the manuscript itself) or were you involved in other aspects of the project for which you were credited authorship? Both are useful things to have done but only one provides a metric for your writing ability.

Thank you for your insight!
The paper that I was going to submit is a capstone paper that I did for school. So, does american media have an affect on african American women and their ideas of standard beauty.

Thank you for your insight!
The paper that I was going to submit is a capstone paper that I did for school. So, does american media have an affect on african American women and their ideas of standard beauty.

Just make sure that capstone paper uses the correct affect/effect. :) Sorry, I used to teach research methods, I can't let those go.

Reactions: 3 users