Options for Career in Street Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icunursetodoctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title states, I was seeing if anyone has insight or personal experiences in pursuing a career in Street Medicine?

As of now, I plan on completing an Emergency medicine residency, then ultimately transitioning into a future career that focuses on care for individuals who are homeless.
Through my research, the only formal program that I have found is the Street Medicine fellowship at JPS?
Are there any formal or informal opportunities to gain experience, understanding, and training in this specific field?
Any leads will help.

Thank you for any assistance/direction in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think there's one specific best route into street medicine. I've known people doing related work who have training in IM, FM, EM, Derm, Psych, Addiction Medicine, General Surgery, ID... There are some people who've made it a full time career, but many physicians I know who do street medicine related work do it part time on a volunteer basis, often partnered with community organizations (with another more traditional job that pays the bills). Some of them also do related research so there may be grant funding involved that helps support it. Some large hospital systems have homeless outreach programs, there are some homeless shelters that have full or part time clinics with paid staff, others that have volunteer based clinics. There are also a number of medical schools with student run street med programs or free clinics that are always eager for advisors/volunteers.

If you haven't already, check out the Street Medicine Institute (Home). I've seen some street med related away rotations listed before (I wanna say Pittsburgh?) but who knows if those still exist with COVID

Reactions: 2 users
Umm, work in any large, poor, urban area emergency department and you will practice “street medicine” to your hearts content.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Interestingly, this is an area where combined FM/psych residencies actually make a lot of sense. Take a look at this well-known clinic in San Diego that focuses on care for the homeless. I believe it's the central training site for the UCSD FM/Psych residency. Not sure where you are in your training, but something to consider if you're not already committed to EM. You may already know about this program in Boston. There are others like it. And from my own experience, this is a field that is in great need and wide open for anyone who wants to create their own practice model. That being said, I have seen a number of internal medicine (primary care focused) physicians and psychiatrists who do this work during and after residency, but many have some other way to pay the bills as others have mentioned.

EDIT: Check out the NYC homeless health fellowship at Montefiore

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users