Optometry in 2035. Does it exist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In 20 years, will optometry as we know it still exist?

Eye health aside, any optometrist honest with herself will concede the primary purpose of an optometrist is to refract. Refraction, although definitely a skill, is at risk of extinction due to advances in technology. Although technology is a threat to many aspects of modern eyecare, and while one can argue about the timing/immediacy of such events (i.e. are we on the cusp of wholesale change now, or is the landscape going to largely be the same 10 years from now?), I consider refraction particularly susceptible to obsolescence in the continuum of facets of eyecare (which includes things like eye health assessments, appliances for seeing, and surgery).

I consider visual/seeing appliances to eventually be at the mercy of technology as well, but I believe that era remains farther off. But when we have the world's most wealthiest corporations such as Google blurring the line between technology and every-day consumerism/physiology (e.g. Google Glass), and predicting that the human brain will be embedded with data chips by 2030 (while actively pursuing that goal), it's hard to see how human-performed refraction will continue to be a paid-for service in the future. Kiosks already exist for refraction today in the U.S., not to mention an iPhone app.

How long do optometrists have? For those who will not be "retired" in 20 years, how much longer will the practice of optometry be able to sustain an optometrist's career? Will those early in their careers today have to eventually re-educate themselves and re-enter the workforce in another capacity?

Members don't see this ad.

It'll still be chugging along. The scope might be a little bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
In 20 years, will optometry as we know it still exist?

Let me look into my crystal ball and answer you. LOL........All kidding aside, in twenty years from now, perhaps in my lifetime or way past twenty years from now; Optometry and ophthalmology might or actually will become one.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, since you asked...........and I have plenty of time with no patients to be found. Optometry will no doubt be dead in 20 years. The technology exist today to make Optometry a 'work from home' job. Think about it. We have automated refractors, retinal cameras (Optos), anterior segment cameras. ...all of this could be controlled off-sight. We are not typically "hands-on" practitioners anyway. Absolutely nothing stopping an OD from working from home now except antiquated state boards. A high school girl can insert a contact for you while you "supervise" in your Hugh Hefner pajamas from your bedroom. From there, it will be a short hop from big- money corporations figuring out the little OD is not even needed. (really not even needed now as we are a 'bought and paid for' legislated profession....ie. bribed enough congressmen to make us a profession...much like the chiropractors did.)

So yes, here in 2015 everything an OD does can be done by a machine/robot/online/tech-girl. In 20 years..............Forgetaboutit! :):oldman::nailbiting::meh:

Well, since you asked...........and I have plenty of time with no patients to be found. Optometry will no doubt be dead in 20 years. The technology exist today to make Optometry a 'work from home' job. Think about it. We have automated refractors, retinal cameras (Optos), anterior segment cameras. ...all of this could be controlled off-sight. We are not typically "hands-on" practitioners anyway. Absolutely nothing stopping an OD from working from home now except antiquated state boards. A high school girl can insert a contact for you while you "supervise" in your Hugh Hefner pajamas from your bedroom. From there, it will be a short hop from big- money corporations figuring out the little OD is not even needed. (really not even needed now as we are a 'bought and paid for' legislated profession....ie. bribed enough congressmen to make us a profession...much like the chiropractors did.)

So yes, here in 2015 everything an OD does can be done by a machine/robot/online/tech-girl. In 20 years..............Forgetaboutit! :):oldman::nailbiting::meh:

Not to be rude or anything, but have you ever considered that your scarcity of patients is because your business sucks? It's just very difficult for me to buy into this idea that your 4+ years of education and experience in optometry school and as a practicing optometrist is so easily overshadowed by a machine. I'm skeptical that a highlight in your educational program was learning how to insert a contact and that you were prepared to be an expert in inserting contacts. This seems like a very narrow scope of practice considering your schooling.

The whole "machines are taking over our jobs" paranoia is applicable to any healthcare field. There are a lot of things a human doctor can do with his/her expertise that machines are not capable of - and if you fail to see this I would argue that whoever prepared you to be a healthcare professional did not do a great job at it.

Since I'm not an OD yet, my comments don't matter because how could I possibly know anything about the profession until I've practiced for 10 years? Maybe so, but until then I'll just spout off my baseless opinions like everyone else. After all, the Optometrists in my area probably just pay people to come in on the days I visit so the practice can appear busy. They probably take out massive loans to buy out new buildings to expand their practices and work four days a week just to make it appear that Optometry is doing well. That's the only logical answer, because we all know that every Optometrist in the country is failing and it's because of the big bad insurance companies and corporate monsters. As my late mentor/role model Jason K once said: Enjoy your seat on the Titanic, eventually it will sink. I want to put a rolly eyed emoji here, but that's for young people who know how to do those kinds of things.

The biggest negatives for Optometry will be the surplus of OD graduates, and decreasing reembursements coupled with rising tuition. To think that technology will put the profession under is ridiculous. That is of course, unless they come out with a machine capable of producing an instant refraction. I mean, imagine a machine that can perform a refraction in only seconds, rendering Optometrists completely obsolete. But who could possibly think of such a machine... They'd probably give it a really scary name like "Otto refrac-tor, destroyer of worlds."

Now this is where I just get totally crazy. Imagine that Optometrists are capable of critical thinking and problem solving, and are also capable of finding healthcare niches outside of refraction. Imagine being able to specialize in something other than general practice Optometry. Maybe we can even treat TippyToe's favorite imaginary diseases like dry eye. It may be just for pretendsies, but I bet we could convince thousands of people they have it.

But that would take a willingness to adapt and change with the times, blah blah.. Better to just blame and speculate.

We can ask pharmacists the same question. Do we expect a "Redbox" type pharmacy anytime soon? No, because their lobbying association is strong and we will never see a Redbox pharmacy dispensing medications.

BUT....there is a lack of optometrists contributing to our association and lobbing efforts, therefore we are seeing online eye exams, online eyewear being dispensed, and opticians doing contact lens examinations. So yes, I think optometry will not exist in 2035. Optometry schools will start closing in about 2025 when graduates are unable to pay their debts. The remaining optometrists will be PA level providers to ophthalmologists.

So Ophthalmologists will double their numbers in order to fill the void?

We can ask pharmacists the same question. Do we expect a "Redbox" type pharmacy anytime soon? No, because their lobbying association is strong and we will never see a Redbox pharmacy dispensing medications.

BUT....there is a lack of optometrists contributing to our association and lobbing efforts, therefore we are seeing online eye exams, online eyewear being dispensed, and opticians doing contact lens examinations. So yes, I think optometry will not exist in 2035. Optometry schools will start closing in about 2025 when graduates are unable to pay their debts. The remaining optometrists will be PA level providers to ophthalmologists.

lol

Sure optometry will be there in 2035,can you guarantee where you will be in 2035

Working as an Optometrist, for the People's Republic of China.

Last edited:
Since I'm not an OD yet, my comments don't matter because how could I possibly know anything about the profession until I've practiced for 10 years? Maybe so, but until then I'll just spout off my baseless opinions like everyone else. After all, the Optometrists in my area probably just pay people to come in on the days I visit so the practice can appear busy. They probably take out massive loans to buy out new buildings to expand their practices and work four days a week just to make it appear that Optometry is doing well. That's the only logical answer, because we all know that every Optometrist in the country is failing and it's because of the big bad insurance companies and corporate monsters. As my late mentor/role model Jason K once said: Enjoy your seat on the Titanic, eventually it will sink. I want to put a rolly eyed emoji here, but that's for young people who know how to do those kinds of things.

The biggest negatives for Optometry will be the surplus of OD graduates, and decreasing reembursements coupled with rising tuition. To think that technology will put the profession under is ridiculous. That is of course, unless they come out with a machine capable of producing an instant refraction. I mean, imagine a machine that can perform a refraction in only seconds, rendering Optometrists completely obsolete. But who could possibly think of such a machine... They'd probably give it a really scary name like "Otto refrac-tor, destroyer of worlds."

Now this is where I just get totally crazy. Imagine that Optometrists are capable of critical thinking and problem solving, and are also capable of finding healthcare niches outside of refraction. Imagine being able to specialize in something other than general practice Optometry. Maybe we can even treat TippyToe's favorite imaginary diseases like dry eye. It may be just for pretendsies, but I bet we could convince thousands of people they have it.

But that would take a willingness to adapt and change with the times, blah blah.. Better to just blame and speculate.

I have read alot of really terrible posts on this forum regarding the future of optometry. THANK YOU for not being one of them and actually posting some logic, albeit some people might not catch onto your sarcasm.

I think optometry will turn into pharmacy in 20 years

I have read alot of really terrible posts on this forum regarding the future of optometry. THANK YOU for not being one of them and actually posting some logic, albeit some people might not catch onto your sarcasm.

Pre-optometry student praises optometry student for not agreeing with the "negative posts" from practicing optometrists.

Reminds me of a recent thread on the pharmacy board.

The student debt of the class of 2020 will still exist in 2035. Even though they had the foresight to enter in 2020... They never really had clarity or the vision that they would be taking orders for a high school drop out who is the regional manager of their corporate location (I know this only applies to half the newer ods... Hahaha) ,they lacked the wisdom to leave od school and apply to business school in 2021.. Lol.

So unless your dad or mom has 5+ od private practices whom employe about 15-20 ods (which essential just makes them as a hybrid upper end corporate entity) I would say that the optometry you knew as a child will 50 percent.. no longer exists in 2035. Sorry for the typos... I'm on my mobile phone.