Oral Boards 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Taking it in a few weeks. Overall feeling alright but will probably panic soon. Most adult topics I can do well in or at least get by. Most things pediatric throw me off in a big way. Didn't utilize a course and kind of wish I had.

Members don't see this ad.

I had my oral boards during my pain fellowship a few years ago. It is very surprising how much you forget when you are out of the OR.

I had the physical UBP books and Dr. Ho's large book, the Lange flashcards, the Rapid Review book the Monsur book, and Board Stiff. Practiced with co fellows, and two people I had met on SDN for daily practice via Skype and it was excellent but I sort of just plateaued. It wasnt a knowledge issue, ITE's pretty much always 98-99th percentile. Oral practice feedback from attendings and cofellows was scattershot and now useful for finding areas to improve. I was not feeling very confident going into the exam with about a month to go. Despite nailing down an approach, I was not sure how it would go. Some things I was strong on and others were notably weaker eg liver transplant, congenital cardiac topics. Job offer lined up for me post fellowship absolutely required full board certification prior to the start date, non-negotiable.Word of mouth, dont advertise sort of job.

One of my skype practice partners felt the same and had signed up for Just Oral Boards course. I was hesitant but looked around at different prep companies as I had to pass on the first attempt for my dream job. Someone had passed along sample lectures from the most recent live Dr. Ho course and the UBP course. I watched about an hour of each and felt both were not a good fit for how I was approaching the exam. Far too detailed and lengthy responses. Residents at my anesthesiology program nearly exclusively used the Dr. Ho book or went to his course with good reviews and pretty much all passed.

Ended up joining my Skype study partner and bought the Just Oral Boards course with 24 mock exams. Payed full price, over $4000 a few years ago. Frankly, I was just expecting a more structured approach to the exam and maybe a few tough examiners. I was VERY and pleasantly surprised how tough and comprehensive it was. I really liked their approach to answering questions. Their examiners were, for the most part, very tough. I mean like sitting with a huge academic who frequently quote studies kind of tough, really tore into you strategically and is very good at identifying your weak points.

Day of the exam was nearly identical to the practice sessions, felt just like I was in one of the practice sessions both in scope, intensity, and timing. No question, I was as prepared as i could be.

Amount payed for the course was minuscule compared to not getting my dream job. Unique situation. I wrote the cost off as worth a couple days of attending work.

Someone on SDN had posted a good outline on how to study for the OSCE portion and that was quite useful. No surprises.

Passed on first attempt. I genuinely feel I more likely then not would have failed were it not for the Just Oral Boards course.

I didn't post this to shill for any company but to give an honest account of my experience. I bought pretty much any book I could get my hands on for this exam. I didn't receive a single item, session, or book for free. I received no discount, payed full price. I don't work for any company now or previously.

Though others will say courses are uncessary, in unique situations such as this, I would wholeheartedly recommend it vs a surprise fail and reattempting the exam while working as an attending.

n=1

Do you remember the resource you used to break down each stem?

Taking it in a few weeks. Overall feeling alright but will probably panic soon. Most adult topics I can do well in or at least get by. Most things pediatric throw me off in a big way. Didn't utilize a course and kind of wish I had.
Seriously, don’t panic. Brush up on some weaker areas, but don’t worry too much. It’s not so much a knowledge test as it is a clinical judgement/ability to communicate test. Examiners want to know that you are confident in your own knowledge and skills, and maybe just as importantly, being honest about what you don’t know (ie “im
Not sure about the dose, I would look it up” or “I would consider asking for a colleague to help assist/get a consult, etc). Just state what you would normally do to keep the patient safe.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, don’t panic. Brush up on some weaker areas, but don’t worry too much. It’s not so much a knowledge test as it is a clinical judgement/ability to communicate test. Examiners want to know that you are confident in your own knowledge and skills, and maybe just as importantly, being honest about what you don’t know (ie “im
Not sure about the dose, I would look it up” or “I would consider asking for a colleague to help assist/get a consult, etc). Just state what you would normally do to keep the patient safe.

While I agree with you, mostly. We are not used to “tell” someone what we are going to do? How many times the patient looked better/worse than you expected in pre-op, compared to chart checked them? We are doers… and we have formed many short cuts while making split minute/second decisions. To verbalize every single thought process can be difficult for some.

If I get a dollar every time I heard, “I would do X, but the board answer is Y….” I’d be a rich man.

Do whatever you think is necessary to pass this test…. If you think you need a course, go take one, if you think you need to memorize UBP, then do it. Everyone will have to approach it differently.

One of my partner who is an ex-examiner would tell the youngons who’d have trouble passing the exam, “you didn’t leave a trail of dead patients behind, did you? Then you’re doing something right….”

It’s just another thing that you’d have to get through.

Reactions: 1 user
Completely agree with everything you said. Whatever YOU think you need to do, do it. Just don’t panic ( or as one my attendings used to say, “don’t go bananas!”), it’s going to be okay.

Overall feeling alright but will probably panic soon.
I was right.

Also, big thumbs down to the ABA for mandating a covid booster shot within 6 months. Got it two days ago and it stole two days of studying for me as once again I had high fevers and extreme lethargy.

Reactions: 1 users
I was right.

Also, big thumbs down to the ABA for mandating a covid booster shot within 6 months. Got it two days ago and it stole two days of studying for me as once again I had high fevers and extreme lethargy.

Better than getting actual covid. That'll take a week from you.

I was right.

Wait really? Where did you see the booster requirement? I got an email about uploading covid card and then received an approval/QR code from crowd pass. My last booster was >6mo ago.

I was right.

That’s insane. Shouldn’t be allowed to mandate a Covid booster, especially when the test can be so easily administered virtually as they had done in the past. Very disappointing of the ABA.

1677733212681.jpeg

Email from the ABA sent a few months ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was approved with no booster because I forgot to upload my second card that has the booster on it. Out of an abundance of caution I got the booster because of what is said on the screenshot above. I spent way too much money on this **** only to get their and find out my QR code is bogus.

I was approved with no booster because I forgot to upload my second card that has the booster on it. Out of an abundance of caution I got the booster because of what is said on the screenshot above. I spent way too much money on this **** only to get their and find out my QR code is bogus.

Damn, they're gonna have to cancel a lot of ppl if they enforce that requirement probably. It's too late for me to try to set up a booster since my exam is next week. We'll see I guess.

Per ABA

Our standards define a person as fully vaccinated after two weeks following the completion of a two-dose mRNA series (Pfizer or Moderna) or one dose of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. If eligible and it has been greater than six months since you completed your vaccine series, we require you are boosted.

so all you need is the primary vaccine series and the one Booster, thats it?

i already had the main series and now two boostes already, but i think i will still be over 6 mo after my 4th booster by the time i test but according to the above i dont need another booster right?

just checking

so 14 days prior have to sign saying its a real vaccination card? do they email you the form to sign?

Last edited:
Per ABA

Our standards define a person as fully vaccinated after two weeks following the completion of a two-dose mRNA series (Pfizer or Moderna) or one dose of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. If eligible and it has been greater than six months since you completed your vaccine series, we require you are boosted.

so all you need is the primary vaccine series and the one Booster, thats it?

i already had the main series and now two boostes already, but i think i will still be over 6 mo after my 4th booster by the time i test but according to the above i dont need another booster right?

just checking

so 14 days prior have to sign saying its a real vaccination card? do they email you the form to sign?
You should not need any additional booster.

Also, they send you some online link to upload your cards and they'll verify you and give you a QR code that you'll need later on.

I read this as: you got the initial course (2x Pfizer/Moderna or 1x JJ) then 6 months elapsed, probably closer to a year for most and then you got your first booster. Even if that booster was >6 months ago, my reading of this says that would be fine. If you never got a booster at any point after the initial course, then yes, sounds like you would probably need a booster.

I read this as: you got the initial course (2x Pfizer/Moderna or 1x JJ) then 6 months elapsed, probably closer to a year for most and then you got your first booster. Even if that booster was >6 months ago, my reading of this says that would be fine. If you never got a booster at any point after the initial course, then yes, sounds like you would probably need a booster.
Agreed, sounds like this policy was put in place a year or so ago when boosters were first introduced, and then never updated again, so I read it as you need one booster after initial two dose vaccine.

regarding the aba practice stems out there...i see the questions the examiners ask, are they supposed to stick to that format and guide the test in the area thats hinted by those questions or is that optional for them, and they can just pick whatever direction they want to take it in?

ie go completely off base from the reals of the stem and the questions in front of them just to mess w you?

regarding the aba practice stems out there...i see the questions the examiners ask, are they supposed to stick to that format and guide the test in the area thats hinted by those questions or is that optional for them, and they can just pick whatever direction they want to take it in?

ie go completely off base from the reals of the stem and the questions in front of them just to mess w you?

The only graded portion is what's in the script. So they generally try to stick to the script. If you are a candidate that answers questions very quickly and they have the time, they will probe further. Remember they are on a time crunch as well. They will always use the entire time allotted to them so you will never finish the exam early and just chit-chat. However, they definitely have free rein to ask anything they want, as long as time allows it.

The only graded portion is what's in the script. So they generally try to stick to the script. If you are a candidate that answers questions very quickly and they have the time, they will probe further. Remember they are on a time crunch as well. They will always use the entire time allotted to them so you will never finish the exam early and just chit-chat. However, they definitely have free rein to ask anything they want, as long as time allows it.
i have tried to be the examiner and stick the scriptand timineline, it is hard for sure. I can see why now they may cut you off etc.

So its probabaly ideal not to finish too fast opening the floor for a free for all session?

IF you were doing well or ok overall, and questions were answered but then they started asking other things not on the sheet of paper and then you kinda bombed those questions or did something that made you look not "flexible, adaptable, safe" could they fail you?

or is the stuff they ask out of bounds not really gradable?
i doubt its likely any one thing may pass or fail you but am just curious, wondering if its better not to give them a chance to ask prompt questions not on the sheet?

i have tried to be the examiner and stick the scriptand timineline, it is hard for sure. I can see why now they may cut you off etc.

So its probabaly ideal not to finish too fast opening the floor for a free for all session?

IF you were doing well or ok overall, and questions were answered but then they started asking other things not on the sheet of paper and then you kinda bombed those questions or did something that made you look not "flexible, adaptable, safe" could they fail you?

or is the stuff they ask out of bounds not really gradable?
i doubt its likely any one thing may pass or fail you but am just curious, wondering if its better not to give them a chance to ask prompt questions not on the sheet?

I think this is overcomplicating the situation. Who knows what the examiners are thinking? My plan is to just keep it simple and just answer the question posed to me to the best of my ability in a concise manner.

Oral boards are highly regimented these days. Board examiners are graded so they are as standardized as possible. While there still may be hard-a$$, belligerent examiners, the ABA has tried their hardest to ensure that's not the case. Those that "go completely off base just to mess with you" are not invited back. They are given stems ahead of time and are taught how to study them and anticipate candidate answers so they can ask appropriate follow-up. They don't just take stems wherever they want and are required to stay on script so that the questions asked and the grading are as standardized as possible. I have worked with a few current examiners at the institution I trained at and this is the information they've given me.

Reactions: 4 users
Oral boards are highly regimented these days. Board examiners are graded so they are as standardized as possible. While there still may be hard-a$$, belligerent examiners, the ABA has tried their hardest to ensure that's not the case. Those that "go completely off base just to mess with you" are not invited back. They are given stems ahead of time and are taught how to study them and anticipate candidate answers so they can ask appropriate follow-up. They don't just take stems wherever they want and are required to stay on script so that the questions asked and the grading are as standardized as possible. I have worked with a few current examiners at the institution I trained at and this is the information they've given me.

Thank you for the clarification!

In retrospect, I agree. I interpreted that differently the first time I read it. I never got a booster first time around so I needed to get it and it knocked me on my ass for two days like it does every time (why I avoided the booster in the first place)

Taking it in a few short days and am just worn out. Primary motivation at this point is that I don't want to have to go through this again.

Took it this week, felt like an absolute disaster. Didn't sleep well at all the night before, was exhausted and not mentally sharp. Missed multiple easy queues, can't imagine that I passed but I understand this is how everyone feels. Everyone certainly felt this way the day I took the exam at least, during out discussions on the shuttle bus to the airport. OSCE was more challenging than I anticipated as well. Not all of it, but it definitely is not a gimme anymore. Going to try to put it out of my mind for now. Horrible experience overall.

• Wow
Took it this week, felt like an absolute disaster. Didn't sleep well at all the night before, was exhausted and not mentally sharp. Missed multiple easy queues, can't imagine that I passed but I understand this is how everyone feels. Everyone certainly felt this way the day I took the exam at least, during out discussions on the shuttle bus to the airport. OSCE was more challenging than I anticipated as well. Not all of it, but it definitely is not a gimme anymore. Going to try to put it out of my mind for now. Horrible experience overall.
Wouldn’t worry that much, you probably did better than you realize.

Don’t worry, I was convinced I failed based on one response on the exam sort of harassed out of me on repeat questioning, ended up passing. I think we dwell on the few mistakes we make during the oral and don’t appreciate the fact that a lot of the second nature stuff gets you points on the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users

What would you do differently in your prep? Or is that level of sh*tty feeling just the nature of the exam do you think?

What would you do differently in your prep? Or is that level of sh*tty feeling just the nature of the exam do you think?
So, if (and hopefully not when) I had to do it over again I would have spent nearly 100% of my time on mock orals. I'm talking with a variety of people such as an old coresident, a colleague that is now an examiner, as many people as possible. I spent a significant amount of time these last few weeks building up my knowledge base because on my mock exams (probably did 12-15 legit ones) when I performed poorly on one it was because of a knowledge deficit. And my time spent on brushing up on knowledge would only be items I felt weak on or was exposed on during mock exams.

The reason I say this is because it appears that there are varying styles of examiners. Mine, overall, were very kind and professional. Only one of my examiners was aggressive and cut me off quickly. For these types of examiners you need to not only answer quickly but you need to absolutely say the best answer first. They will likely cut you off before you have a chance to say a 2nd or 3rd option, so make sure the first thing you say is correct. I think this is only done by significant practice on mock exams. This is somewhat of an endurance exam and your train of thought and head will be much foggier and slower halfway through the second stem compared to the first. You need to train to be efficient and to the point basically at all times. I forgot to say things that were extremely basic because I was just tired and flustered. I think everybody experiences this to a degree. I think that I was very safe through all questions except for maybe 1 grab bag question I would have delayed diagnosis because of my early management.

So, if (and hopefully not when) I had to do it over again I would have spent nearly 100% of my time on mock orals. I'm talking with a variety of people such as an old coresident, a colleague that is now an examiner, as many people as possible. I spent a significant amount of time these last few weeks building up my knowledge base because on my mock exams (probably did 12-15 legit ones) when I performed poorly on one it was because of a knowledge deficit. And my time spent on brushing up on knowledge would only be items I felt weak on or was exposed on during mock exams.

The reason I say this is because it appears that there are varying styles of examiners. Mine, overall, were very kind and professional. Only one of my examiners was aggressive and cut me off quickly. For these types of examiners you need to not only answer quickly but you need to absolutely say the best answer first. They will likely cut you off before you have a chance to say a 2nd or 3rd option, so make sure the first thing you say is correct. I think this is only done by significant practice on mock exams. This is somewhat of an endurance exam and your train of thought and head will be much foggier and slower halfway through the second stem compared to the first. You need to train to be efficient and to the point basically at all times. I forgot to say things that were extremely basic because I was just tired and flustered. I think everybody experiences this to a degree. I think that I was very safe through all questions except for maybe 1 grab bag question I would have delayed diagnosis because of my early management.
How many weeks did you study

I think this is an important point. You have to get down to it and say the best answer first. The UBP prep gives these big ridiculous answers that are not really necessary.

How many weeks did you study
I would say I started hitting it harder around Christmas time. And a big caveat is, there would be a week where I got a ton done and follow that up with a week where I didn't get much done at all. But the 3 weeks preceding my test I put the pedal down 100%.

Boards are hard because you mentally psyche yourself out.

In reality, these stems are very straightforward. They have a list of questions they need to get through so examiners don't have time to pimp you like you're an MS3. Just give an answer and move on. if they ask for clarification, then give a small blurb about pros, cons, and understanding there may be other alternatives.

Honestly, if you can't have a nice table discussion about anesthetic cases, then how are you going to manage someone in real life? If you carry this mindset, then suddenly the boards exam becomes less stressful.

In reality, these stems are very straightforward. They have a list of questions they need to get through so examiners don't have time to pimp you like you're an MS3. Just give an answer and move on. if they ask for clarification, then give a small blurb about pros, cons, and understanding there may be other alternatives.

Honestly, if you can't have a nice table discussion about anesthetic cases, then how are you going to manage someone in real life? If you carry this mindset, then suddenly the boards exam becomes less stressful.

They’re not exactly nice table discussions…

Wouldn’t go as far as this, but I agree with the overall gestalt, just imagine what Yoj would as a conservative anesthesiooogist in real life.

In reality, these stems are very straightforward.

This is what my older partners say and it lets me know that they're out of touch with the reality of the current test. While there are some straightforward stems, many are the opposite of that. You're not going to run into a Pregnant downs syndrome patient with sickle cell and brugada syndrome every day but you will on the boards.

This is what my older partners say and it lets me know that they're out of touch with the reality of the current test. While there are some straightforward stems, many are the opposite of that. You're not going to run into a Pregnant downs syndrome patient with sickle cell and brugada syndrome every day but you will on the boards.
Don't psyche yourself out. I'm sure you know what you need to know about brugada, about sickle cell, about downs and anesthetic concerns, and pregnancy.

That was an actual stem?

That was an actual stem?
Not for me but one of my partners had this stem last year. The only point I posted it is to say that not all stems are "simple". Her questions on that stem were relatively easy. One of my stems this year was simple with a healthy patient and the questioning was 10/10 difficulty.

Stems were straightforward but the line of questioning and "brokeness" of the cases was the challenging aspect. I don't think if I studied another 100 hrs it would have helped.

It definitely didn't seem like I had problems with knowledge, but rather accessing the knowledge due to anxiety. I found myself stumbling over even simple ABGs that I could do with my eyes closed. Overall I made it to the third grab bag on both stems and seemed OK on time. Everything they say about getting cut off quickly is accurate and found that happening after several of my answers. There's also this overwhelming sense of uncertainty as they give you zero indication on how good or bad you are performing (kudos to the poker faces).

I think if I take this again doing more mock orals with some hard-nosed examiners would be helpful. the kind that don't leave you with warm fuzzies after.

Not for me but one of my partners had this stem last year. The only point I posted it is to say that not all stems are "simple". Her questions on that stem were relatively easy. One of my stems this year was simple with a healthy patient and the questioning was 10/10 difficulty.
My primary stems were actually super easy last year. Predictable intr-op emergencies. Still wasn't a slam dunk for me, as I said plenty of stupid stuff. One or two challenging grab bags, but seriously I was surprised when I was preparing.

They’re not exactly nice table discussions…
The setting isn't and being in the hot seat is tough. But, the format is in the end is an annoying somebody (like a med student/resident/attending) asking you what you would do an why.

Also, the examiners are not actively trying to fail you or make you kill a patient, you have to do that on your own.

Framing it in this way made it much easier in my mind.

Stems were straightforward but the line of questioning and "brokeness" of the cases was the challenging aspect. I don't think if I studied another 100 hrs it would have helped.

It definitely didn't seem like I had problems with knowledge, but rather accessing the knowledge due to anxiety. I found myself stumbling over even simple ABGs that I could do with my eyes closed. Overall I made it to the third grab bag on both stems and seemed OK on time. Everything they say about getting cut off quickly is accurate and found that happening after several of my answers. There's also this overwhelming sense of uncertainty as they give you zero indication on how good or bad you are performing (kudos to the poker faces).

I think if I take this again doing more mock orals with some hard-nosed examiners would be helpful. the kind that don't leave you with warm fuzzies after.
Did you finish your 3rd grab bag on both stems? I made it through most of the 3rd grab bag on my first stem but didn't make it far on the last grab bag of the 3rd stem. Made me pretty nervous as those are lost points but I was told most people don't make it all the way through.

Did you finish your 3rd grab bag on both stems? I made it through most of the 3rd grab bag on my first stem but didn't make it far on the last grab bag of the 3rd stem. Made me pretty nervous as those are lost points but I was told most people don't make it all the way through.

It can be hard to tell how far you made it through the last grab bag. They will fill the time with other questions.

please tell me you are joking it about being on the actual test :/

It can be hard to tell how far you made it through the last grab bag. They will fill the time with other questions.
ie you are on grab bag# 3 and you get done with their "prompt" questions with 2 mins left, they will just burn time with other questions related to grab bag #3?

guess its better to make to #3 with time to spare than not make it all?