Oral boards spring 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys getting studying? I'm just starting up, doing a few mocks w/ old residency classmates. Reading the Ho book mainly and some Yao/Artusio. Signed up for a 6 day Ho course that was painfully expensive (and across the country).

My plan is to do at least 2-3 mock orals a week from here on out (taking the Feb test) and read as much as I can stand.

Painful basically sums up the whole process. But I'm determined I'm only taking this once.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Shouldn't be this painful.
If you do cases everyday in real life you can take the oral boards and do fine.
I don't recommend reading Yao, Ho, or taking any course.
A lot of the questions are gonna be like "the blood pressure is high what do you want to do?" "the patient is complaining of a numb arm 2 days after a block what do you tell them" "the patient just vomited in preop do you still want to use an lma?" "the surgeon wants to go ahead you want more workup - what do you want and why? how will it change anything?"
Books are not gonna have the answers to all but the vast minority of questions they may ask you. That's what writtens are for.
If there are huge gaps in your knowledge base fill them in with review articles. Don't read Yao blindly.
Do a few practice exams with real examiners and get some feedback and reflect on how you can explain things better.
And just think about how you approach things in real life and how you can best justify your (presumably rational) decisions clearly.

Members don't see this ad :)
in addition to doing mock orals on a regular basis with classes, what's people's opinions on the Ho 2 day review course? Worth it or not for the text and the online cam club?

I'd rather not read text books blindly

Shouldn't be this painful.
If you do cases everyday in real life you can take the oral boards and do fine.
I don't recommend reading Yao, Ho, or taking any course.
A lot of the questions are gonna be like "the blood pressure is high what do you want to do?" "the patient is complaining of a numb arm 2 days after a block what do you tell them" "the patient just vomited in preop do you still want to use an lma?" "the surgeon wants to go ahead you want more workup - what do you want and why? how will it change anything?"
Books are not gonna have the answers to all but the vast minority of questions they may ask you. That's what writtens are for.
If there are huge gaps in your knowledge base fill them in with review articles. Don't read Yao blindly.
Do a few practice exams with real examiners and get some feedback and reflect on how you can explain things better.
And just think about how you approach things in real life and how you can best justify your (presumably rational) decisions clearly.
This