oral boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpknife

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has results came out for oral boards, just wondering what was everybody experience with the test this and any advice....thx

Members don't see this ad.

has results came out for oral boards, just wondering what was everybody experience with the test this and any advice....thx

1. They are usually posted by 0800 the Thursday of the week of boards (so, yes usually by today). I have not heard from any of my friends who took it this week, so not sure if posted yet.

2. There are several threads here, including one just a bit further down the page, with advice about the exam.

Posted
Passed!
I still think there must be a better way

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate all the help and advice on this website and the SDN community...Thank you

Of course...so here are my 2 cents
I studied hard for about 2 months (or at least as hard as I could trying to get used to a new hospital and a new role as an attending)
1. I read "How to win" twice
2. Supplemented how to win with Cameron's (which I think is very good for the content the exam asks about)
3. Practiced multiple case scenarios over and over with friends and got used to listening to myself work through the process out loud (a must)
4. Glanced at Neff's book when I got tired of looking at "how to win"
5. At the last minute I did attend Osler. I think it's only good in that it is a good final review and truly allows you to appreciate the "big picture" and the breadth of candidates the examiners will be listening to. Some people are struggling and should really postpone the exam...As everyone says though, it does take you away from work and help focus on nothing but the exam. Overall, if you are strapped for cash, its not essential.

I did not take any beta blockers or anything. I was wired and almost out of my skin the morning of the exam, but the advantage was I took the test yesterday morning, and found out today. The agony of waiting 3 days would have unraveled me.

Passed:

Read safe answers, how to pass boards, osler handout, and took osler course. Read some chapters in Camerons too.

Course helped organize my work-up of all the major general surgery diseases, and how to treat. Night before test on drive in, I was able to run through all the organs, what could go wrong, how to work it up, and treat.

Helped me in my practice to study all this stuff, and the test likes to change scenario: benign liver mass, ok now malignant, ok now you cut CBD, ok now the portal vein is clotted, ok now patient hypotensive in recovery.

The test has been changed to focus more on general surgery, and this was my experience. No peds, gyn, ortho, neuro. More trauma, breast, colon, thyroid, ect.

There were some cases I still don't know where they were going, and I left thinking I failed. But passable if you work hard, and have a firm plan on how to treat most core general surgery stuff. Prepare like a very tough M and M conf.

Passed:

The test has been changed to focus more on general surgery, and this was my experience.

Congrats. This was also my experience....very focused on things we do often rather than obscure procedures and scenarios.