Oral Surgery Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budge311

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
About how long is an oral surgery program. I'm not talking about the joint MD program. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

budge311 said:
About how long is an oral surgery program. I'm not talking about the joint MD program. Thanks.

4 years (6-7 years with MD)

damn.. i bet OMFS will be really competitive to get into soon.. seems everyones interested in it...

Members don't see this ad :)
dentwannabe said:
damn.. i bet OMFS will be really competitive to get into soon.. seems everyones interested in it...

It can be competitive, but not everyone is interested in it.

It's an awesome and spectacular area of practice, but there are other areas that are unique and fulfililng as well.

One item that probably turns off some would-be oral surgeons is the continued length of study. It's at least another 4 years after dental school, and there are other specialties that are only 2 years of residency.

I was under the impression that is was very tough to get into. I also agree that people are discouraged to go for it because its so long. But if that's what you are interested in, go for it.