Orals vs OSCE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ether123

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone

anyone know what difference, if any, will exist between the current oral exam and sthe OSCE exam as is proposed by the ABA on their website? Please advise.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The new APPLIED examination will contain BOTH a Standard Oral Examination component AND an OSCE-type exam (think Step 2 CS, with simulated clinical situations and tasks, but with examiners instead of standardized patients). The two components can be passed separately.

The new APPLIED examination will contain BOTH a Standard Oral Examination component AND an OSCE-type exam (think Step 2 CS, with simulated clinical situations and tasks, but with examiners instead of standardized patients). The two components can be passed separately.
Thanks for the info, but what kinds of scenarios and questions should we be ready for? I mean, is there any outline of what will be asked and what metrics will be used for grading. Step 2CS seemed like a big joke, u just had to be polite and smile it seemed. Here, are we going to be doing preop evals, or will the patient be on a stretcher under "MAC" with some monitor hooked up? its hard to see how we can be tested on "live " patients when most of the time our patients are asleep!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, but what kinds of scenarios and questions should we be ready for? I mean, is there any outline of what will be asked and what metrics will be used for grading. Step 2CS seemed like a big joke, u just had to be polite and smile it seemed. Here, are we going to be doing preop evals, or will the patient be on a stretcher under "MAC" with some monitor hooked up? its hard to see how we can be tested on "live " patients when most of the time our patients are asleep!

My guess is it will a simulator with evaluators watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the ABA Newsletter:
The ABA’s current Part 2 (Oral) Examination will become the APPLIED Examination. Beginning in 2017, its content and format will change to include elements of Objective Structured Clinical Examinations (OSCEs) in addition to the traditional oral examination questions. A dedicated assessment center is being created in Raleigh, NC to accommodate all APPLIED Examinations.

The OSCE assesses skills such as history-taking, physical exam, procedural skills, clinical decision-making, counseling, professionalism, and interpersonal communication. The OSCE in the APPLIED Examination will consist of a series of short simulated clinical situations in which each candidate is evaluated on by different examiners at each station. All candidates rotate through the same stations, completing all the stations in the circuit. This structure will allow objective assessment of candidate clinical skills and the application of their decisions in a standard manner in a variety of scenarios important for the safe practice of anesthesia.

Each station in the OSCE has a very specific task to complete. Thus, an OSCE is not a high-fidelity full rescue simulation. Further, completion of an OSCE will not provide credit for the ABA’s Maintenance of Certification in Anesthesiology (MOCA) Program’s Part IV Simulation Education Course requirement.
http://www.theaba.org/pdf/newsletters/ABA-Newsletter-2013.pdf

The answer is no one knows. I've talked to several board examiners and most are not sure. Why? Because they are still writing all the scenarios and coming up with the exam.

I would bet it's going to be a lot like what the UK is doing. Some simulation, some anatomy, some 'difficult' interactions (think a surgeon pushing you to do something you know is wrong). These are looking to test you as a consultant. You know the material because by that point you have passed the written, know they want to make sure you are competent and flexible.

I'm surprised Jensen or Ho don't have books out yet.