Organic chem next week and 7 mos pregnant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg1985

Reaction score
I’ve been knocking out my pre reqs very successfully so far. I have a toddler, and one on the way. I can’t believe I didn’t really think about this but the organic lab, which will be in micro scale, begins next week and I’ve only just realized what that could mean, teratogen wise. Anyone done this pregnant? If I wear an n95, gloves and covered head to toe clothing wise plus the vent hood should I be okay? There’s literally only 2 other people in the lab- Bc of covid no one signed up. So I won’t be super exposed to their fumes either and they will also be under the hood. My OB said she’s fine with it and had pregnant people in her class. I just can’t seem to feel better about it but because of covid they won’t be offering this class for another year. If I drop it.... I won’t even be able to take the mcat on time. I don’t want to overreact, or under react.... thoughts welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Organic chemistry lab is pretty benign. There really aren't many fumes that would be harmful to inhale as a result of the lab. With the vent hood you would really have to work to breath any resulting gases (like put your head in the hood over the flasks and inhaling deeply). If I remember correctly, there were a couple of things that they encouraged us to "waft" at our nose but I imagine this won't occur during the pandemic as they won't want you to remove your mask. The biggest risk you have is getting substances in your eyes or spilling something on your clothes. With clothing, goggles, and a mask, I'd say you're pretty well protected. As for covid risk, more and more studies are showing how effective masks are at reducing the risk of transmission. I'm not in your position but my lab partner several years ago was pregnant at the time and had no difficulties with the lab, except needing to be keyed back into the lab after running to the bathroom.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this!! You’ve made me feel so much better. I feel like if I was working in an industrial lab the risk would be so much higher. I have lab just once a week! I just didn’t want to be stupid either!! Thank you so much!!

OBs are pretty risk averse so if she is fine with it, I wouldn't worry. Congrats btw