Organic Chemistry needed for Biochemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aman999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing organic chemistry this quarter and will be taking biochemistry in the fall. Looking back, I know general principles of reactions (E2, E1, Sn1, Sn2, tetrahedral intermediates, etc.), but I don't remember certain reaction mechanisms. On top of that, for other reactions where we never learned the mechanisms (i.e. just memorizing the products), I can't remember anything at all.

So my question is, what do I really need to know to do well in biochemistry? I will be taking BIOC 440 at the University of Washington, I think using Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry, if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

You're more than fine.

Also, I'm really jealous you go to UofW.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took organic chemistry at the same time as taking biochem (using that same book!) and it was okay. I did well in the course, but I may have needed to study slightly more than my peers who already had completed orgo. You should be fine!

Biochemistry entails a boatload of nucleophilic attack mechanisms, as well as reactions and principles of aromatic compounds, carboxylic acids and their derivatives, amines, alkenes, etc. (this list is just off the top of my head, someone please add anything I may have missed).

If you have one semester of organic chemistry, you should still be able to get an A+, albiet with more studying than those who've completed organic chemistry in its entirety. Familiarize yourself with the above content and you should be solid.

The one key thing you should know and understand is carbonyl chemistry. On top of that, you don't need to know much organic chemistry.