Organic in One Month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopeful_DVM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am registered for organic over the summer. This is the second lecture in the series plus the lab. The whole thing lasts for approximately one month. So on Monday-Friday the schedule is lecture 8:30-10:30, then lab 11:00-6:00. Have any of you all attempted this? From what I have heard from other students it is doable. I am just having doubts. I would like to take the lab this fall, but at this point it doesn't look like an option.

Members don't see this ad.

My organic series was an intensive summer course that lasted 6 weeks for each course, so yours sounds a bit more condensed (and those lab hours are crazy!) It was definitely doable, but I was in a complicated, exclusive relationship with organic chemistry that summer. As long as you don't have anything else going on that month, you should be fine. But be prepared to miss a lot of fun outings because you'll be studying. The pace at which summer courses move is intense, and that makes it all the more important to stay on top of the material every day. As long as you know that going in, you'll be just fine. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the reply. I have taken the whole month of July off from work to be able to do this. One of my friends is also taking the lab and lecture at the same time so we should be able to study together, which helps immensely.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great that you'll be able to focus exclusively on orgo for that month. And you're right - having a friend in the same class is such a great help, if for nothing else than moral support!

Woof. That is intense. I must say that being done with organic 2 after a month is pretty nifty, though!

For me, organic 2 came a little more easily than organic 1. It is certainly harder content-wise, don't get me wrong. However, I think a big part of organic 1 is adapting to the foreign language of o-chem and figuring out how to learn it. Once you have survived/gotten over that hurdle it makes a big difference.

So, take heart! And good luck. :)

Reactions: 1 user
For me, organic 2 came a little more easily than organic 1. It is certainly harder content-wise, don't get me wrong. However, I think a big part of organic 1 is adapting to the foreign language of o-chem and figuring out how to learn it. Once you have survived/gotten over that hurdle it makes a big difference.
Very true.

Reactions: 1 user
It will be a good prep for vet schools since most of our days are 8-5, 8-4, or 9-4 of lecture and lab!

I'd say to for it!

I preferred taking organic that way. It was easier to focus on just organic without any other distractions. I ended up with an A in the class.

Agreed. I've always liked the one-month intensive classes because I really focus on the material. I thought it was a good way to do orgo. That said, it was <very> time-intensive. My month was pretty much all orgo and nothing else.

Agreed. I've always liked the one-month intensive classes because I really focus on the material. I thought it was a good way to do orgo. That said, it was <very> time-intensive. My month was pretty much all orgo and nothing else.
I took organic 1 & 2 one right after the other during the summer. It was 2 months of hell, but I did really well so it was worth it. I didn't take the lab at the same time though because I still needed to work in the afternoons.

I took organic 1 & 2 one right after the other during the summer. It was 2 months of hell, but I did really well so it was worth it. I didn't take the lab at the same time though because I still needed to work in the afternoons.

Brutal.

Respect.

I loved the one month intensive classes over the summer. You never a chance to slack or forget much. Do it and knock one more prerequisite out of the way.

I agree that taking it in a shorter amount of time helped me. I took Orgo II & the Lab plus Phy I & the lab in summer A (half the summer) last summer. I ended up with A's in the Orgo II lecture & lab, but when I took Orgo I the summer prior (and it was the whole summer, not half) I got a C+...Just stay on top of the material and you should do well :)

You'll be fine. Every student at my undergraduate institution takes orgo w/ lab as a one month class. Very do-able.

So I thought I would give everyone an update, in case anyone is planning on doing this in the future. I finished up with the class on Friday. This month was pretty much hell on earth. All I got accomplished this month was studying organic chemistry, writing lab reports and sleeping when time permitted. I am glad to have this class out of the way, and the weight lifted off my shoulders. Although this was very intense, it was doable. I would recommend it to anyone else who wishes to attempt it. However, be prepared to focus solely on organic chemistry for the duration of the course.

Reactions: 2 users
So I thought I would give everyone an update, in case anyone is planning on doing this in the future. I finished up with the class on Friday. This month was pretty much hell on earth. All I got accomplished this month was studying organic chemistry, writing lab reports and sleeping when time permitted. I am glad to have this class out of the way, and the weight lifted off my shoulders. Although this was very intense, it was doable. I would recommend it to anyone else who wishes to attempt it. However, be prepared to focus solely on organic chemistry for the duration of the course.
Told ya! Intense but do-able. My entire undergraduate experience was scheduled this way-- the block plan. Humanities are much more manageable, but science classes take resilience. Good thing I was a biochemistry major ;)