Orgo/ biochem sequence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daivimarga

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school requires Orgo 1 and 2 before biochem. I have a plan for a somewhat weirdly arranged schedule where next fall I would only be taking Orgo 2 and then would have to take biochem in spring. The advisor said a rare few "brilliant" students self taught bio, I'm not necessarily trying to do that. If I were taking nondegree classes next fall, though, I'd be able to take whatever I want. Did you feel you needed Orgo 2 before biochem? Another school I was considering requires an advanced bio- maybe genetics ? - before biochem but you can get Dept permission to take it. Just want to know how to best organize this so as to get the most out of it and be well prepared for mcat.

Also when in this picture would one take mcat? I thought I'd take it in end of 2017 and then hopefully matriculate in 2018 if I got amcas done beforehand during Orgo but I think I misunderstood this and would not be able to matriculate until 2019? Im sure I'll figure this out later but if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't feel that I needed organic 2 prior to taking biochemistry. That's the sequence in which I took it, but no, it really isn't necessary to take it in that order. Most of the topics in biochemistry are touched on lightly in biology courses. Personally, I didn't think organic chemistry was any help in my understanding of biochem. I took biochemistry online though. It was a rigorous and relatively challenging course (but all things considered it was over a decade since my last chemistry course).

You can pretty much use any advanced course to fulfill the advanced course requirement. Consider any chemistry or biology level 400 course or above a fulfillment of that requirement. I studied classes I enjoyed for the upper level. Even though they may have been difficult, actually enjoying the subject matter can help you get a better grade.

When you consider application to medical school, think of it this way, they will accept you sometimes a year before you start. A lot of the admissions process is the summer before the summer/fall you start. You can take the MCAT at any time. Just make sure you feel comfortable with the material. I would take it at least once before you plan on applying through AMCAS/AACOMAS/TMDSAS.

Cool, thanks @Plastic156600sub3. I have to explore the application websites and see the exact timelines. I want to take biochem over other upper level courses simply bc of the mcat. I'm kind of a "self study" type regardless so I may not fit into that "brilliant" category the advisor spoke of but I do learn well on my own. What school did you take it through online? Maybe I will consider that to avoid getting grief from the school administration!

Members don't see this ad :)
My school requires Orgo 1 and 2 before biochem. I have a plan for a somewhat weirdly arranged schedule where next fall I would only be taking Orgo 2 and then would have to take biochem in spring. The advisor said a rare few "brilliant" students self taught bio, I'm not necessarily trying to do that. If I were taking nondegree classes next fall, though, I'd be able to take whatever I want. Did you feel you needed Orgo 2 before biochem? Another school I was considering requires an advanced bio- maybe genetics ? - before biochem but you can get Dept permission to take it. Just want to know how to best organize this so as to get the most out of it and be well prepared for mcat.

Also when in this picture would one take mcat? I thought I'd take it in end of 2017 and then hopefully matriculate in 2018 if I got amcas done beforehand during Orgo but I think I misunderstood this and would not be able to matriculate until 2019? Im sure I'll figure this out later but if anyone knows I'd appreciate it.

These days you'll always see schools who are clueless about even the courses they offer, giving rise to stupid policies. The last thing you need for biochem is orgo2. All you need at max is orgo1. Just take orgo1 you'll do great.

At my school, orgo 2 was designed to prep us for biochem. They had a special section for non chem majors (basically, all the premeds.)

These days you'll always see schools who are clueless about even the courses they offer, giving rise to stupid policies. The last thing you need for biochem is orgo2. All you need at max is orgo1. Just take orgo1 you'll do great.

Just Orgo 1 even for mcat? Or Orgo 1 then biochem and Orgo 2 before mcat?

So then if I finish all those courses fall 2017 and take mcat that December or January - if all my other app materials are in aside from those scores could I theoretically matriculate in 2018?

Thanks!!

Cool, thanks @Plastic156600sub3. I have to explore the application websites and see the exact timelines. I want to take biochem over other upper level courses simply bc of the mcat. I'm kind of a "self study" type regardless so I may not fit into that "brilliant" category the advisor spoke of but I do learn well on my own. What school did you take it through online? Maybe I will consider that to avoid getting grief from the school administration!
I took biochemistry through Colorado State online. They have their ducks in line. They are really the best experience that I have ever had for an online class. I took several online classes at several different schools, too. Biochemistry will help you on the MCAT. The biochemistry I learned in biology 101/102 was really the extent of the depth that the MCAT has, though. It's not very deep. If you can take cell biology, molecular biology or genetics, you'll get a lot of the same material that will be on the MCAT for biochem.

I'll tell you what...some advisers are annoying. I got told flat out that I sucked by an adviser for two years, while I maintained my name on the dean's list in school. They guy kept telling me to give up ever considering getting into med school. Sad thing is, I let it get to me. I changed advisers and went a different direction into teaching high school science instead of directly to med school like I wanted. Don't worry about what those *****s say. You're the one paying for the classes. You do what you want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
I took biochemistry through Colorado State online. They have their ducks in line. They are really the best experience that I have ever had for an online class. I took several online classes at several different schools, too. Biochemistry will help you on the MCAT. The biochemistry I learned in biology 101/102 was really the extent of the depth that the MCAT has, though. It's not very deep. If you can take cell biology, molecular biology or genetics, you'll get a lot of the same material that will be on the MCAT for biochem.

I'll tell you what...some advisers are annoying. I got told flat out that I sucked by an adviser for two years, while I maintained my name on the dean's list in school. They guy kept telling me to give up ever considering getting into med school. Sad thing is, I let it get to me. I changed advisers and went a different direction into teaching high school science instead of directly to med school like I wanted. Don't worry about what those *****s say. You're the one paying for the classes. You do what you want to do.
+++ CSU Biochemistry. Take Sholders! Helped me crush the biochemistry on the MCAT.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

+++ CSU Biochemistry. Take Sholders! Helped me crush the biochemistry on the MCAT.

Yep! I had Brian Kalet. He was great, too. Any questions I had, he would usually get back to me within an hour or two. Awesome class! Honestly I worked my butt off, but it was a confidence booster in the end. It's the first chemistry class (or biology class for that matter) that I've taken in a decade.

Reactions: 1 users
This is awesome info, thanks you two!! I'm going to look into CSU classes.

This is awesome info, thanks you two!! I'm going to look into CSU classes.

Definitely do it. With Sholders I actually felt I had better professor access than a lot of my classes I took in person.

We still keep in touch as well. Can't emphasize how satisfied I am still that I chose to take this course. It WILL get you ready for your MCAT.

Definitely do it. With Sholders I actually felt I had better professor access than a lot of my classes I took in person.

We still keep in touch as well. Can't emphasize how satisfied I am still that I chose to take this course. It WILL get you ready for your MCAT.

Are there any other online courses you'd recommend? Seriously so happy you shared this.

Yep! I had Brian Kalet. He was great, too. Any questions I had, he would usually get back to me within an hour or two. Awesome class! Honestly I worked my butt off, but it was a confidence booster in the end. It's the first chemistry class (or biology class for that matter) that I've taken in a decade.

Plastic- do you have online recommendations as well?

Thanks again guys!!

Are there any other online courses you'd recommend? Seriously so happy you shared this.

I am sorry I do not. Only science class I took online. What other pre-reqs do you need to have? Do you have a local CC ( I took gen chem 1&2 and gen bio 1&1 at mine)?

I am sorry I do not. Only science class I took online. What other pre-reqs do you need to have? Do you have a local CC ( I took gen chem 1&2 and gen bio 1&1 at mine)?

Yeah I am taking all my reqs at city schools. I need to take full years of chem physics and Orgo still. Have done year of bio and calc. Just thought online might be nice so I could learn while in bed :)

Yeah I am taking all my reqs at city schools. I need to take full years of chem physics and Orgo still. Have done year of bio and calc. Just thought online might be nice so I could learn while in bed :)

Main thing I would do is save biochemistry for last or close to last. Builds a lot on previous courses.

Plastic- do you have online recommendations as well?

Thanks again guys!!

The other online school that was really awesome for me was West Texas A&M. They have accredited education on demand classes. If you are good at self study this is a great option. Any big school is usually good for online. Steer clear of community colleges.

I made the mistake of taking online physics II at a CC that had no idea what they were doing. They shipped lab modules with missing parts. The online programming was awful and my professor was not computer literate. I didn't fail but the grade was only acceptable for med schools.

Didn't think online courses were acceptable or so widely used but am def looking into it

Didn't think online courses were acceptable or so widely used but am def looking into it

Some won't let you use them as a first take. Check which colleges you really want to go to and see what they prefer. It's best to take some of your gen eds online. They are not as fussy about them. I took Chem 101 as a repeat to improve my grade. It's not quite the same as taking it only.

Biochem is not really a requirement for most schools, so taking it online really doesn't hurt anything. The vast majority of the schools that I have applied to that required biochemistry allowed online courses to fulfill the requirement or required it conditionally.