Orgo Review Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barsoum.michael

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I was wondering what's the best organic chemistry review books you would recommend? Since I'm in a combined med program I'm taking a full two semester course in one semester which means that we will be going through a chapter and a half a day.

What books do you recommend that are comprehensive but also simplifies the concepts down enough for me to easily understand it?

Sent from my SM-N900V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

This is the best book

EHEP002933.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Not a book, but Chad's Vids will change your life

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend orgo as a 2nd language!

The following books are what I tend to recommend:

Wade's (my favorite)
41%2BS1r6WJtL._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Klein's (very awesome, I know it's @7331poas favorite)
EHEP002933.jpg

Supplement with:
41nkWMDjZoL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

You won't need to use a textbook if you use Organic Chemistry as a Second Language & Chad's Videos.

Didn't use anything for Orgo 2, but Organic chem as a second language helped for first semester.

You won't need to use a textbook if you use Organic Chemistry as a Second Language & Chad's Videos.

Wrong. Very very very very very wrong. Do not use 2nd language as a textbook. Organic chemistry isnt just solving problems, its also a science. Please get a textbook and READ it. I read Klein front to back, it helped me and I got a near 100.

The Wade book is also excellent. My only problem with it is they dont use the skeletal structures sometime.

Wrong. Very very very very very wrong. Do not use 2nd language as a textbook. Organic chemistry isnt just solving problems, its also a science. Please get a textbook and READ it. I read Klein front to back, it helped me and I got a near 100.

The Wade book is also excellent. My only problem with it is they dont use the skeletal structures sometime.
Oh yes, because simply "reading textbooks" results in getting high A's for everyone.

The 2nd Language book's purpose is to teach students how to solve problems efficiently. The same can be said with Chad's Videos. You can still use a textbook for practice problems, but these resources are meant to teach students how to critically solve problems more efficiently than the average textbook.

Also, your advice makes no sense. The textbook you "read front to back" was written by the same dude that wrote the 2nd Language Book. His textbook is basically the same as the workbook, but with more graphics and a lot more practice questions.

Simply "reading" doesn't help most students succeed in organic chemistry. Unless you took the course with an incredibly easy professor, students are typically required to think critically and apply their problem solving skills to answer questions involving compounds that they may have not seen before.

Oh yes, because simply "reading textbooks" results in getting high A's for everyone.

The 2nd Language book's purpose is to teach students how to solve problems efficiently. The same can be said with Chad's Videos. You can still use a textbook for practice problems, but these resources are meant to teach students how to critically solve problems more efficiently than the average textbook.

Also, your advice makes no sense. The textbook you "read front to back" was written by the same dude that wrote the 2nd Language Book. His textbook is basically the same as the workbook, but with more graphics and a lot more practice questions.

Simply "reading" doesn't help most students succeed in organic chemistry. Unless you took the course with an incredibly easy professor, students are typically required to think critically and apply their problem solving skills to answer questions involving compounds that they may have not seen before.

The Klein text is not the average textbook. It is like his second language book in that every time a new concept is introduced there is a set of practice problems. The second language book is useful because it is a concise and sometimes presents an idea in a slight different way, but as far as problem solving goes the textbook wins hands down.

The Klein text is not the average textbook. It is like his second language book in that every time a new concept is introduced there is a set of practice problems. The second language book is useful because it is a concise and sometimes presents an idea in a slight different way, but as far as problem solving goes the textbook wins hands down.
I know, I said that in my post. Klein is fantastic.

2nd language is a practice book for problems. The textbook is for learning a science. They serve different purposes. At my school, if you try to just use the 2nd language you are going to miss the last 2 questions because they require in depth knowledge of the science to solve a problem you havent seen.

Solving problems isnt the only factor in organic. You need to understand the underlying meaning of why problems are being solved in that fashion. Use 2nd lang in addition to the klein text

Last edited: