ortho chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DO student
Step 1: 243 level 1:697
Step 2: N/A
Pre clinical: First Quartile
Clinical: HP surgery, IM and pediatrics. Pass in FM.
Research: currently working on publication that is Ortho related
Misc: author for usmlerx and first aid

Obvisiously applying AOA, but given that previous AOA programs are participating in the NRMP, I will also be applying to ACGME programs. Am I an average applicant for AOA? And am I wasting time and money on ACGME programs?

Members don't see this ad.

DO student
Step 1: 243 level 1:697
Step 2: N/A
Pre clinical: First Quartile
Clinical: HP surgery, IM and pediatrics. Pass in FM.
Research: currently working on publication that is Ortho related
Misc: author for usmlerx and first aid

Obvisiously applying AOA, but given that previous AOA programs are participating in the NRMP, I will also be applying to ACGME programs. Am I an average applicant for AOA? And am I wasting time and money on ACGME programs?

Wasting time on ACGME side unfortunately. I had higher stats this year and only got rejections. AOA you just need to do well on your auditions, but should be fine otherwise. Good luck! Feel free to reach out with questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Ugh.

You "love ortho" but you don't know if you should bother because you got a "pass" in medicine? FFS man you haven't even finished third year.

I mean yeah it's gonna be a red flag but it's not something that can't be overcome by your step one score, doing well on your surgery rotation and picking well thought-out away rotations and doing well in those.

Thanks for your response. I think I would be a great candidate. I truly do love the specialty & have good exposure in the field along with decent research. I also am going to start a family in residency, so location is slightly important to me (doesn't have to be a big city, but I don't want to be in the boonies).

I worry about mostly getting interviews. I heard step 1 and grades are where they delineate if they are going to offer interviews or not. Seeing all the 260/AOA/research fellas on here makes me wonder why they would even bother with my average application (below average if you consider m3 grades). Please note I am not saying I am average overall, just avg/below avg for ortho.

Anyone in a similar boat who had good board scores but mediocre grades from a mid-tier MD program? I have to decide soonish and plan aways. Just wondering if people think I'd have a good shot. Be brutally honest, I don't mind. Any places you would recommend doing aways that don't care so much about m3 grades? Sorry I have so many questions. I'm just being a realist and not an idealist. Of course I will hope for the best, but I fear going unmatched.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response. I think I would be a great candidate. I truly do love the specialty & have good exposure in the field along with decent research. I also am going to start a family in residency, so location is slightly important to me (doesn't have to be a big city, but I don't want to be in the boonies).

I worry about mostly getting interviews. I heard step 1 and grades are where they delineate if they are going to offer interviews or not. Seeing all the 260/AOA/research fellas on here makes me wonder why they would even bother with my average application (below average if you consider m3 grades). Please note I am not saying I am average overall, just avg/below avg for ortho.

Anyone in a similar boat who had good board scores but mediocre grades from a mid-tier MD program? I have to decide soonish and plan aways. Just wondering if people think I'd have a good shot. Be brutally honest, I don't mind. Any places you would recommend doing aways that don't care so much about m3 grades? Sorry I have so many questions. I'm just being a realist and not an idealist. Of course I will hope for the best, but I fear going unmatched.
Look at Charting Outcomes. You’re above average.

Reactions: 1 users

SDN is probably not an accurate sample of what the applicant pool is like.

Would anyone be willing to give me a bit of advice on planning my 4th year with consideration to aways, step 2 CK, what schools are reaches with my stats/CV, etc? I'd prefer to do this over PM for sake of anonymity.

Would anyone be willing to give me a bit of advice on planning my 4th year with consideration to aways, step 2 CK, what schools are reaches with my stats/CV, etc? I'd prefer to do this over PM for sake of anonymity.

bump n' same please

DO MSIII
Step 1 228
Comlex 642
four years research undergrad with multiple posters and a pending publication (being completed by another undergrad after I left),
no current grades on rotations thus far......

Obviously my USMLE is much too low to acquire an ortho residency off of that, but was rather wondering
1. whether my Comlex score was competitive enough to match traditionally AOA programs (that will be converted with the match)
2. If i would get screened out of most programs with my usmle score
3. I suppose just general chances of matching a traditionally osteopathic ortho program, as that would be my best bet.

Appreciate any and all feedback!

DO MSIII
Step 1 228
Comlex 642
four years research undergrad with multiple posters and a pending publication (being completed by another undergrad after I left),
no current grades on rotations thus far......

Obviously my USMLE is much too low to acquire an ortho residency off of that, but was rather wondering
1. whether my Comlex score was competitive enough to match traditionally AOA programs (that will be converted with the match)
2. If i would get screened out of most programs with my usmle score
3. I suppose just general chances of matching a traditionally osteopathic ortho program, as that would be my best bet.

Appreciate any and all feedback!

Most the DO programs that have "minimums" listed on their websites or in their application form for auditions seem to be at 600 COMLEX and 230 USMLE. I have no idea if that means you need one or the other or both, but don't give up if it's what you want. Based on what the guys in the class above me have relayed to me it seems like the AOA programs still really value people who work hard and want to be there. If you have a home program start showing up and getting involved ASAP. Nobody knows what the first combined match will be like next year but its always worth a shot if its what you really want to do.

DO MS4
Step 1 245
Step 2 264
Comlex 1 734
Comlex 2 Pending

HP/honors all rotations. 1 pending pub (basic science). Many posters, abstracts, case reports. Lots of undergrad/grad school engineering research. Should I bother with the ACGME match at all? I'm going heavily into the AOA match but wanted to see what ACGME would be like.

Hi all,

DO MS4 on auditions right now.
Comlex level I: 634
Step I: 230
Step 2: 259
Comlex level II: 597
Research: Did a couple posters. Working on a non-ortho trauma paper for publication.
Looking for any feedback on chances and how might these scores impact my application.

Thank you!

DO MS4
Step 1 245
Step 2 264
Comlex 1 734
Comlex 2 Pending

HP/honors all rotations. 1 pending pub (basic science). Many posters, abstracts, case reports. Lots of undergrad/grad school engineering research. Should I bother with the ACGME match at all? I'm going heavily into the AOA match but wanted to see what ACGME would be like.

Strong application, will need COMLEX 2. I recommend going into the ACGME match since some previous DO ortho programs will be participating in the ACGME match. Also, couldn't hurt (other than your wallet).

Hi all,

DO MS4 on auditions right now.
Comlex level I: 634
Step I: 230
Step 2: 259
Comlex level II: 597
Research: Did a couple posters. Working on a non-ortho trauma paper for publication.
Looking for any feedback on chances and how might these scores impact my application.

Thank you!

Your drop in level 2 is definitely going to hurt you and you'll be asked at the interviews you get. At this point, just kill your auditions

Members don't see this ad :)
Strong application, will need COMLEX 2. I recommend going into the ACGME match since some previous DO ortho programs will be participating in the ACGME match. Also, couldn't hurt (other than your wallet).

Comlex 2 recently came in: 732. How bad is my drop?

Still a solid score. Might have to explain your drop, but both scores are solid and will get you plenty of interviews at programs that you did not audition at. Good luck

Edit: my bad, was lazy and didn't check your original post. A 2 point drop is nothing. Solid scores

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Still a solid score. Might have to explain your drop, but both scores are solid and will get you plenty of interviews at programs that you did not audition at. Good luck
explain a 2 point drop?

You're fine. I don't have advice for ACGME merger as I'm a couple years removed, but basically if you don't suck, know your ortho, and the residents like you, you'll get a DO spot.

explain a 2 point drop?

Nope.

Hope you all are doing well! Thanks for anyone who can give some input for me. I’m in my third year.

School: Mid tier MD
Step 1: 246
Clinical: my school is only pass/fail
I won’t be AOA because my class rank is in the 40s in a class of a hundred students.
Research: 3 oncology pubs (before med school), 1 gen surg case report, 2 gen surg presentations (different from case report)

I’m trying very hard to get an ortho project but it’s been hard and a lot of my class wants to do ortho. Before submitting my app, if I have one or two projects, am I still competitive? I just want to plan if this path is possible or start planning a different path. Thanks!

Hope you all are doing well! Thanks for anyone who can give some input for me. I’m in my third year.

I won’t be AOA because my class rank is in the 40s in a class of a hundred students.
Research: 3 oncology pubs (before med school), 1 gen surg case report, 2 gen surg presentations (different from case report)

I’m trying very hard to get an ortho project but it’s been hard and a lot of my class wants to do ortho. Before submitting my app, if I have one or two projects, am I still competitive? I just want to plan if this path is possible or start planning a different path. Thanks!

Your stats are competitive for mid-tier and lower-tier ortho programs. Should match with some good aways. If you wanted to reach for higher tier ortho residencies could consider doing a research year.

Your stats are competitive for mid-tier and lower-tier ortho programs. Should match with some good aways. If you wanted to reach for higher tier ortho residencies could consider doing a research year.

Thanks for the insight! I don't care where I match, I just want to match somewhere. As for research, does anyone know what I can do? I know I need more research but theres a huge waitlist for projects from my class, according to the residents, and I don't know if I can get a project. Is it possible to match with just general surgery projects?

Your competitive for mid-tier and lower-tier ortho programs. Should match with some good aways. If you wanted to reach for higher tier ortho residencies could consider doing a research year.
Thanks for the insight! I don't care where I match, I just want to match somewhere. As for research, does anyone know what I can do? I know I need more research but theres a huge waitlist for projects from my class, according to the residents, and I don't know if I can get a project. Is it possible to match with just general surgery projects?

You need to at least have an ortho research project in progress by the time interviews roll around. Shows more dedication to the field and you will be asked about it at each interview. Got to start talking to faculty if the residents don't have anything going.

Your competitive for mid-tier and lower-tier ortho programs. Should match with some good aways. If you wanted to reach for higher tier ortho residencies could consider doing a research year.

You need to at least have an ortho research project in progress by the time interviews roll around. Shows more dedication to the field and you will be asked about it at each interview. Got to start talking to faculty if the residents don't have anything going.

Thanks for the advice!

Kind of worried about chances guys:

School: Mid-to-upper tier, well known school.
Step1: 270-275
Step2: N/A
Grades: H Psych Peds, HP FM OB.
Research: Most worrying part, had an ortho project that was submitted to national conference and rejected, submitting to mid-tier journal, but it's iffy if it's going to be accepted--was delivered as a contributed and poster presentation. Currently on another larger ortho project, and a rads project, hopefully going to publish before ERAS goes out this time next year.
ECs: President of my regional campus' Surgery SIG and ortho SIG. Smattering of volunteering here and there.

Basically, I know my step 1 is good, but my clerkship grades and research are kind of worrying to me, and I'm deliberating taking a year off to build up my research resume. I keep kicking ass on shelves, and the rotations where I have multiple faculty evaluating me I've gotten H's on, but FM and OB I was with two old-school docs who are of the "students get 3's" variety, and no matter how hard I worked to impress them, and even though I H'd the shelf with room to spare, they just did their thing and I'm relatively certain there's nothing I can do about it.

Thanks!

Im not entire sure this a troll but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Youre fine.

Okay, I really need the advice:

DO MS3 (2020 match)
Step1: 260+
Comlex: 750+
Top 5 class rank
>3.95 pre-clin 4.0 so far in rotations including surg. 1 ortho LOR so far.
Research: 3 basic science publications continued from undergrad, (2 as 1st author),
1 clinical poster presentation at international conference with hopes of publication/more presentations (clinical but def not ortho)
*Searching desperately for an ortho related project*
From the midwest and really looking to end up back there.

Trying to plan my away rotations.
1. Should I focus primarily on prev. AOA programs in the Ohio/Mich/Illinois area?
2. Do I have some chance of the past ACGME programs, enough so that I should spend 1-2 of the months rotating at these places? (obviously with the intention of working my ass off and being a normal person)
3. Do applicants EVER match in the AOA programs without doing auditions? I can't imagine a DO would match at an ACGME program without a really strong rotation, either?

I do have some strong location preferences, but don't want to pursue them if they're virtually impossible to match at.

Any advice going forward really appreciated.

Your app looks solid. Just don't rotate where I want to go...please... ;)

Okay, I really need the advice:

DO MS3 (2020 match)
Step1: 260+
Comlex: 750+
Top 5 class rank
>3.95 pre-clin 4.0 so far in rotations including surg. 1 ortho LOR so far.
Research: 3 basic science publications continued from undergrad, (2 as 1st author),
1 clinical poster presentation at international conference with hopes of publication/more presentations (clinical but def not ortho)
*Searching desperately for an ortho related project*
From the midwest and really looking to end up back there.

Trying to plan my away rotations.
1. Should I focus primarily on prev. AOA programs in the Ohio/Mich/Illinois area?
2. Do I have some chance of the past ACGME programs, enough so that I should spend 1-2 of the months rotating at these places? (obviously with the intention of working my ass off and being a normal person)
3. Do applicants EVER match in the AOA programs without doing auditions? I can't imagine a DO would match at an ACGME program without a really strong rotation, either?

I do have some strong location preferences, but don't want to pursue them if they're virtually impossible to match at.

Any advice going forward really appreciated.
Solid app. Try to get some ortho related research in the works to help with MD programs. Depending on how many aways your school lets you do, I’d probably recommend 3 DO programs and 2 MD programs that are DO friendly. There are plenty of Midwest programs on both the MD and DO side so you should be okay ending up in the Midwest. With your application, I don’t think it’s a huge risk to only limit yourself to 3 DO auditions, as long as you are a cool person and easy to work with (huge emphasis on this). Be honest with yourself about that last part. Good luck!

Appreciate the response! I know its a little early, but it seems like I pretty much will need a game plan in the next few weeks, so trying not to get too psyched one way or the other, but also trying to tread carefully and try to find the balance between shooting for the stars and not matching at all... :nailbiting:

Solid app. Try to get some ortho related research in the works to help with MD programs. Depending on how many aways your school lets you do, I’d probably recommend 3 DO programs and 2 MD programs that are DO friendly. There are plenty of Midwest programs on both the MD and DO side so you should be okay ending up in the Midwest. With your application, I don’t think it’s a huge risk to only limit yourself to 3 DO auditions, as long as you are a cool person and easy to work with (huge emphasis on this). Be honest with yourself about that last part. Good luck!

Appreciate the response! I know its a little early, but it seems like I pretty much will need a game plan in the next few weeks, so trying not to get too psyched one way or the other, but also trying to tread carefully and try to find the balance between shooting for the stars and not matching at all... :nailbiting:
Yeah, some of the DO programs start taking audition applications in January so you need to have everything squared away and start looking into programs. Feel free to message me with questions about specific programs. Just finished my auditions and did a lot of leg work looking at programs this time last year.

USMLE 252
COMLEX 661
lots of research

Was thinking about throwing my application to a few MD programs just for the heck of it. Does anyone know which places MAY be somewhat DO friendly...I know none are DO friendly..but which ones have taken DOs in the past?

USMLE 252
COMLEX 661
lots of research

Was thinking about throwing my application to a few MD programs just for the heck of it. Does anyone know which places MAY be somewhat DO friendly...I know none are DO friendly..but which ones have taken DOs in the past?

Texas Tech, KU, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, LSU, Washington, UTMB have all taken a DO before I believe. There are others but I can't remember where.

Oh one of the community programs in Michigan and one in PA I think.

What are the chances of getting a DO ortho residency without research? It's to my understanding getting research experience is highly recommended if not required for MD residency. Also, what if there are no ortho-related research opportunities available? I may end up having to do my 3rd and 4th year rotations at a community hospital without any residents so I wouldn't be able to tag along with them for any projects. Lastly, prior to medical school, I did a 2-month research internship at a cardiology research office(no pubs, just generally learning how research is done, do dating mining, etc. for the clinical trials they participate in) as well as working part-time as a research assistant at a GI clinic part-time for few months(again no pubs, just helped with clinical trials.) While those experiences seem to work for getting into med school, I didn't think that either of those experiences would carry any weight for residency and thus didn't think about pursuing either again once I return home for rotations.

What are the chances of getting a DO ortho residency without research? It's to my understanding getting research experience is highly recommended if not required for MD residency. Also, what if there are no ortho-related research opportunities available? I may end up having to do my 3rd and 4th year rotations at a community hospital without any residents so I wouldn't be able to tag along with them for any projects. Lastly, prior to medical school, I did a 2-month research internship at a cardiology research office(no pubs, just generally learning how research is done, do dating mining, etc. for the clinical trials they participate in) as well as working part-time as a research assistant at a GI clinic part-time for few months(again no pubs, just helped with clinical trials.) While those experiences seem to work for getting into med school, I didn't think that either of those experiences would carry any weight for residency and thus didn't think about pursuing either again once I return home for rotations.

DO Ortho will no longer exist after this year, so you will have to compete with allopathic applicants starting next year for those spots. It is of utmost importance to get research done, granted you have strong board scores (USMLE is very important here, not just COMLEX). Your allopathic counterparts will likely be getting tons of research done. I would also highly recommend only pursuing research that produces tangible research IE pubs, talks, posters (pubs>>>>). As a current DO MS4 Ortho applicant, my co-applicants had tons of research both in ortho and in non-ortho. They had posters, abstracts, pubs, and even presented at big orthopedic conferences.

If I can't find any ortho-related research opportunities, what do you recommend?

DO Ortho will no longer exist after this year, so you will have to compete with allopathic applicants starting next year for those spots. It is of utmost importance to get research done, granted you have strong board scores (USMLE is very important here, not just COMLEX). Your allopathic counterparts will likely be getting tons of research done. I would also highly recommend only pursuing research that produces tangible research IE pubs, talks, posters (pubs>>>>). As a current DO MS4 Ortho applicant, my co-applicants had tons of research both in ortho and in non-ortho. They had posters, abstracts, pubs, and even presented at big orthopedic conferences.

If I can't find any ortho-related research opportunities, what do you recommend?

Go to your local orthopedic residency program and ask if you can hop on board any ongoing research projects

Go to your local orthopedic residency program and ask if you can hop on board any ongoing research projects
There isn't one in my hometown. I've emailed the coordinator at a residency program about an hour away(closest one) on a couple of occasions. Never got a reply. Our school doesn't support ortho very well at all either(don't even have a student chapter). A shame. I have a background as an athletic trainer and would really love to contribute.

Current Status: MS-3
School: Top 25 in the midwest (per US News)
Step 1: 233
Step 2: Likely taking it in July
Pre-clinical: All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: 1 HP in surgery (likely 1 P in Ob/Gyn with the rest hopefully being HPs)
Class rank: I haven't got a clue
Research:
- 4 manuscripts/case reports on GI (1) and ortho (3) [2nd - 4th]
- 2 oral presentations on global surgery (1) and ortho (1) [4th, 1st]
- 7 poster presentations global surgery (1) and ortho (6) [mostly 1st]
*all presentations were at national conferences

EC's: Development committee member in our school's student-run clinic. Otherwise just occasionally some volunteering here and there.
Miscellaneous: I worked as an engineer for a couple years before med school.

My main concerns are my Step I score; I know it hurts me. My non-ortho research is from undergrad and my ortho research is from med school. I would appreciate any tips for applying and advice on how to strengthen my application between now and Sept/Oct.

I don't really have any geographic restrictions nor ties, but I definitely prefer big cities and large, urban areas on either coasts. When the time comes though, I still plan to apply pretty broadly. Which big city programs would I have a solid shot at and which would be reaches?

@VincentAdultman or @OrthoTraumaMD , can I get your thoughts? I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
Current Status: MS-3
School: Top 25 in the midwest (per US News)
Step 1: 233
Step 2: Likely taking it in July
Pre-clinical: All passes (pass/fail)
Clinical: 1 HP in surgery (likely 1 P in Ob/Gyn with the rest hopefully being HPs)
Class rank: I haven't got a clue
Research:
- 4 manuscripts/case reports on GI (1) and ortho (3) [2nd - 4th]
- 2 oral presentations on global surgery (1) and ortho (1) [4th, 1st]
- 7 poster presentations global surgery (1) and ortho (6) [mostly 1st]
*all presentations were at national conferences

EC's: Development committee member in our school's student-run clinic. Otherwise just occasionally some volunteering here and there.
Miscellaneous: I worked as an engineer for a couple years before med school.

My main concerns are my Step I score; I know it hurts me. My non-ortho research is from undergrad and my ortho research is from med school. I would appreciate any tips for applying and advice on how to strengthen my application between now and Sept/Oct.

I don't really have any geographic restrictions nor ties, but I definitely prefer big cities and large, urban areas on either coasts. When the time comes though, I still plan to apply pretty broadly. Which big city programs would I have a solid shot at and which would be reaches?

@VincentAdultman or @OrthoTraumaMD , can I get your thoughts? I would greatly appreciate it!

Yeah. Apply broadly. Be thoughtful about where you pick away rotations, do well on them. Your research is fine, your step score and clinical grades are somewhat below average, but not crushing.

Hey y'all. Looking for my prognosis.

Degree: MD current MS3
School: Middle tier private school in the Northeast
Step1: 264
Step2: TBD
Preclinical: Top 10% roughly
Clinicals: Medicine-Honors; OBGyn-Honors; Psych-Pass (lol). Expecting Honors in FM, haven't had surgery or Peds yet.
AOA: Definitely in the running, but won't know for a while
Research: 1 Poster in a quasi related subject, will be a pub most likely, and 1 presentation. Starting Ortho specific research very soon. Not sure if there will be publications for me, but maybe a case report and poster or something.
ECs: Two Biodesign projects in an unrelated field, and two different internal/institutional QI projects at my home institution. I worked in an allied health profession with >4 years and held a leadership role for half of that time. Plenty of volunteering/tutoring underclassmen and all that jazz.

My plan is to do 3 aways, some at reaches (for strong LORs hopefully) and others at safety programs in addition to my home institution, I'm confident I'll be able to deliver on my away but any tips for crushing them is appreciated.

I am not too sure how much my Step 1 score makes up for my lack of research- I'm hoping my other EC's make for an application that sets me apart from others . I know it's not research but they are interesting things to talk about on interviews.

I also switched to the Ortho train somewhat late, so I haven't developed strong ties to my home department, but I'm working on that now though. I plan do spend a few weekends on call with the residents just to show face and get more familiarized with the program.

Hi everyone, I was hoping you could tell me my chances for matching into ortho.

Degree: MD
School: top 30 US school
Step 1: 240-244
Step 2: not taken yet
Preclinicals: all P (P/F curriculum)
Clinicals: all HP
Class quartile: NA (school doesn’t do it)
AOA: no
Research: on a research year. Have 1 podium, several poster presentations, will have at least 5 first author pubs by application time
Geographic connections: Grew up in the southeast, med school in the west, family in northeast. Will go to any program.

Honestly I’m pretty worried bc my step 1 is average and I have no Honors.

You'll match. Just do 3 aways and be a realistic. Only a max of 1 of your aways should be at a reach, since having ample research may help offset the lower than avg step score and no honors. Otherwise, if your priority is to match, just do research in to solid programs that you think you'd like to be at because you'd be a good fit there and/or they're close to family/friends or whatever your preference is.

Hey y'all. Looking for my prognosis.

Degree: MD current MS3
School: Middle tier private school in the Northeast
Step1: 264
Step2: TBD
Preclinical: Top 10% roughly
Clinicals: Medicine-Honors; OBGyn-Honors; Psych-Pass (lol). Expecting Honors in FM, haven't had surgery or Peds yet.
AOA: Definitely in the running, but won't know for a while
Research: 1 Poster in a quasi related subject, will be a pub most likely, and 1 presentation. Starting Ortho specific research very soon. Not sure if there will be publications for me, but maybe a case report and poster or something.
ECs: Two Biodesign projects in an unrelated field, and two different internal/institutional QI projects at my home institution. I worked in an allied health profession with >4 years and held a leadership role for half of that time. Plenty of volunteering/tutoring underclassmen and all that jazz.

My plan is to do 3 aways, some at reaches (for strong LORs hopefully) and others at safety programs in addition to my home institution, I'm confident I'll be able to deliver on my away but any tips for crushing them is appreciated.

I am not too sure how much my Step 1 score makes up for my lack of research- I'm hoping my other EC's make for an application that sets me apart from others . I know it's not research but they are interesting things to talk about on interviews.

I also switched to the Ortho train somewhat late, so I haven't developed strong ties to my home department, but I'm working on that now though. I plan do spend a few weekends on call with the residents just to show face and get more familiarized with the program.

You'll be fine for most places, but if you say things "like looking for my prognosis" in real life then you may not match as well as you could on paper ;) Also, I'm not about gaming the system. I don't think in this day and age with people over-applying that it works as well as it used to. Letters from big names might only get you a couple more interviews, not open the floodgates. You won't be hurting for interview offers with your step score and potential AOA, so you should just rotate at places you legitimately think you want to be at.

Hi to everyone!

I am looking for advice whether or not I will have a good chance at matching in ortho.

I got a 258 on step 1, 3.91 GPA, ranked #5 in my class. I have two poster presentations in ortho research, but only one abstract publication (I am doing everything possible to get 1-2 case reports published by the time I apply). I have a good amount of community service and other academic experiences but I did not make AOA.

I know I am lacking in publications... I just wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks in advance.

You posted the same exact thing in the MD board, which is generally frowned upon.

Are you asking if youll match? You have a near 260 Step One, top five in your class, and you HAVE research just no pubs (yet.)

Um, I mean you should be fine.

Thanks for the advice. With my stats do you think I should focus on rotating at community programs?

Multiple residents have told me that the strategy of doing aways in different geographic areas doesn't really work, and instead I should rotate where I really want to go even if all of those programs are in one location. What are your thoughts on this?

No, not at all. You won't have a bad application by any means. Ortho is just so competitive that your application unfortunately isn't going to make you stand out in a pile where avg step 1 is 248 and multiple honors in rotations. However, your application is good enough to not close any doors at a majority of programs.

Correct, different geographic regions doesn't work. Just rotate where you want to go. As long as you do well on your rotations, you'll have a very good chance at wherever you rotate.

Didn't get much love in the main thread board, so maybe someone here can help me out here :)

Medical School: Middle tier east coast program, non-top 25.
Step 1: 252
Step 2: 266
M3 grades: HP in psych, Honors in all the rest
AOA: Yes

Research: One publication, though not Ortho related (hopped on the ortho train pretty late into 3rd year)...but should be able to possibly get atleast 1 ortho publication by time I submit ERAS, worried lack of research will hurt me.

Shooting for blue-collar, middle-tier programs.

Last edited:
Didn't get much love in the main thread board, so maybe someone here can help me out here :)

Medical School: Middle tier east coast program, non-top 25.
Step 1: 252
M3 grades: HP in psych, Honors in all the rest...most likely will be away

Research: One publication, though not Ortho related (hopped on the ortho train pretty late into 3rd year)...but should be able to possibly get atleast 1 ortho publication by time I submit ERAS, worried lack of research will hurt me.

Shooting for blue-collar, middle-tier programs.
I think you should be fine. One of my classmates only had 1 research experience and he received plenty of interviews. Just keep looking for research opportunities this year and try to pump out a few abstracts at least.

Make sure you get involved with ortho advisors since you got in the game a little late.