Ortho program at the University of San Antonio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cougardent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any current residents or soon to be residents or even current dental students tell me more about the ortho program in San Antonio? I'm interested in knowing the things you can't read on their website. Is it a department that students enjoy working with? Do most students commute into school or is it possible to live right next to campus? How difficult is it to get a masters degree (not an MSD masters) while learning ortho? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

cougardent said:
Would any current residents or soon to be residents or even current dental students tell me more about the ortho program in San Antonio? I'm interested in knowing the things you can't read on their website. Is it a department that students enjoy working with? Do most students commute into school or is it possible to live right next to campus? How difficult is it to get a masters degree (not an MSD masters) while learning ortho? Thanks.

well here is some info:
they are looking for a permanent program director because the previous one has left for UNLV. the clinic is gorgeous and new - flat screen computer monitors, sweet operatory chairs and nice environment. the department as a whole is just fine, but its hard to find full time faculty (not just a SA thing). there are tons of apartments within 5-10 minutes to the school and traffic is not bad in the morning. the few apartments I can think of that are walking distance are a bit shady - but you will be able to decide for yourself. the masters thing is strange here - if you already have one (or a phd) you dont have to do another. but if you dont have one, you have to seek one out for yourself. That means some flexibility - ie one guy is doing an MBA at another university in town, one guy is doing stuff w/cell biology at the med school, etc. you have to be on the ball cause its not very integrated. but you have 3 years to get it done so no worries.

Thanks. The program director left for the OEC UNLV program?! What, if you don't mind me asking, was the appeal of UW over San Antonio - texas dds? Were you interested in UCLA at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
what was the appeal of UW? um, well everything!
i did not apply to any california schools
and yea the UNLV thing is surprising, who knows

Does any of you know about this?
Eleven of Jacksonville’s 14 residents are on OEC scholarships. In exchange for tuition and living expenses, those receiving scholarships elected to practice in an OEC site following their residencies.
What about the three that weren't on OEC scholarships?
I guess after they graduate from OEC, they are no different than a regular Orthodontinst right.
If that's the case, wouldn't regular ortho students feel unfair?