Ortho residencies that allow you to get a masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mclysek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in getting my MBA, but the medical school I am attending does not have a combined degree. My options are to take a year off and get an MBA, see if residency programs allow this, or wait until I am an attending. Honestly, I would prefer one of the first two options, so I can be finished with school once residency is over. Do any ortho residencies allow you to get a masters while you are a resident? Is it possible to get a masters in residency without taking a year out? I am trying to weigh my options before I take my GMAT and start applying to programs. I am wondering if an executive MBA could be possible during this time.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of a residency having built in time for an MBA and don't think many would be keen on people taking a year off to complete an MBA. Only option I could think if is doing a 6 year research track and trying to squeeze it in during the research year. But that doesn't really sound like a good idea either.

Why do you want an MBA?

From the practicing physicians I've met with an MBA, they all wished they'd have waited until after residency to pursue it because they didn't remember much of what they had learned 7-8 years ago and lacked the practical experience of practice management to be able to apply it to their degree.