This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pvpapaioann

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once through Ortho surgery residency, is there an opportunity to become a non-surgical orthopedic physician or does this put you at a huge disadvantage in some way? If not, how would this set you up to work with athletes (sports medicine) or become a team doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

Family medicine or internal medicine then sports medicine fellowship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't advise going through a surgical residency and not doing surgery. It would put you in a disadvantage in any circumstance. Judging from your previous posts, you want to work with athletes but in a non-surgical field. I agree with the above posters, IM/Fam/PMR are great routes (me being a little biased towards PMR).

Reactions: 1 users
Once through Ortho surgery residency, is there an opportunity to become a non-surgical orthopedic physician or does this put you at a huge disadvantage in some way? If not, how would this set you up to work with athletes (sports medicine) or become a team doctor?

Orthopods that don't perform surgery are typically at the end of their careers...don't waste your time and efforts if your goal is non-surgical sports medicine

There is an orthopaedic surgeon where I am from that just does pain medicine, no surgery. Pretty weird. IDK why you would go through ortho to not do ortho

There is an orthopaedic surgeon where I am from that just does pain medicine, no surgery. Pretty weird. IDK why you would go through ortho to not do ortho

Its like doing neurosurgery residency to then just do neurology?