About the ads

Orthodontic research Ideas?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Gintaman, Mar 10, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the NBDE
  1. Gintaman

Gintaman

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hey guys,

So I was thinking about doing some undergraduate research course in this holiday. Thought you guys might have some experience in this . :)

First of all I didn't want to do one of the research topics offered by the uni itself ( I wanted to do one related to ortho, since I thought it'd look better on my CV when/if I apply for ortho). Turns out I need to come up with my own research topics.... <_<

So yeah do you guys have any advice or experiences about how to pick out a topic (sorry for the weird question, I haven't done ANY research stuff before), and how to start off with the research? Any general advice at all is appreciated.

And of Course if you can throw some topics to research on that'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks !!
  2. bigbadaboom

bigbadaboom

Dentist
    i have always wanted to know if 4 bicuspid extractions + ortho resulted in more TMD and/or abfractions later vs. every other kind of orthodontic tx w/o bicuspid extractions, class I, 2, or even skeletal class 3.

another simple survey type of research - survey orthodontists and ask if they routinely occlusal equilibrate at end of every case.
  3. bigstix808

bigstix808 Mac Daddy Member

Dentist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    http://www.wfosydney.com/typeElectronicPosterPresentation.asp

go through sites like this for ideas. these are likely what you'll be doing at an undergraduate level (poster level, surveys, etc). it will be really hard to have pure ortho research since you have no concept of occlusion or the underlying biology of tooth movement (unless you've worked for a prosthedontist or been really hands on with an ortho). you can try and get with some of the bio guys and try to do some bone physio research or the alike (that looks good with the perio guys too).

good luck!
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. gryffindor

gryffindor

Dentist
    Dentist SDN 10+ Year Member
    Whoa, huge can of worms with your first topic suggestion. I wouldn't touch this topic or ever bring it up if you are a student trying to get into an ortho program.

The second topic could be researched in a much less controversial manner.

I would recommend reading through some Ortho journals to get some ideas - AJODO, JCO, Angle Orthodontist, etc.
  5. Gintaman

Gintaman

Dental Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    JAACKPOT!!!:laugh:
    Thanks for the idea man. Really appreciate it!

@Gryffindor - do you think it'd be a good idea to start off with survey type projects (simple ones e.g. occlusal equilibrate one)?
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. Nash1394

Nash1394

Dental Student
    Hello, I am also looking for some research topics for orthodontic,
    is it possible to give me some hints on how to find a proper topics, like a website or something?
    thx a lot guys!! :)