Orthodontist income

llamaoverlord

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to sound money hungry but how much can a new private practice orthodontist expect to bring home in a rural area in his first year. On salary.com it says the median salary is only $129,000! I knew ortho took a hit recently but I didn't know it was that bad. I thought it was still about $190,000+ a year. Is this salary.com estimate accurate?

Members don't see this ad.

As an orthodontics resident right now, I think the biggest concern the OP should be to get into college, get good grades, DAT scores, resume, get into dental school and do the same thing before even thinking about how much an orthodontist makes. You still have a long road ahead before even thinking about that yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the post above. The main goal is to get into dental school first. There are many different programs that you will be able to experience in dental school, so don't set your mind to orthodontics just yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Since when is $129,000 considered "bad"? Also, the path to become an orthodontist is very long and very hard. That's the main obstacle, not the "bad" salary you'll be getting in the end.