orthopedic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexterraz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it hard to become an orthopedic surgeon? I admit that I am completely ignorant to many of the details but after reading some posts on here, it looks awesome. I originally planned to go into dentistry, but medicine looks way cool-er! Can you pick your specialty in medical school? How do you determine where and what you may go into?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by dexterraz
is it hard to become an orthopedic surgeon? I admit that I am completely ignorant to many of the details but after reading some posts on here, it looks awesome. I originally planned to go into dentistry, but medicine looks way cool-er! Can you pick your specialty in medical school? How do you determine where and what you may go into?
You don't specialize in medical school. Orthpedic surgeons learn their craft during their 5-year residency after medical school. Yes, orthopedics is one of the most competitive, difficult fields to gain entrance to. You should read up on what a medical education involves before making the switch from dentistry. Good luck.