Oscars....or General movie thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twiggidy

Manny Rivers Cuomo
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted an active thread that gets away from the general "anesthesia is dying" and "why would anyone live in CA and NYC" threads, so let's talk MOVIES.

Anyone have any interesting Oscars predictions? How about any snubs?

Personally I watched most of the movies and the frontrunner put me to sleep (Nomadland). The movie that most hated was the one I liked the most (Trial of the Chicago 7)

I'd just like a fun movie thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I wanted an active thread that gets away from the general "anesthesia is dying" and "why would anyone live in CA and NYC" threads, so let's talk MOVIES.

Anyone have any interesting Oscars predictions? How about any snubs?

Personally I watched most of the movies and the frontrunner put me to sleep (Nomadland). The movie that most hated was the one I liked the most (Trial of the Chicago 7)

I'd just like a fun movie thread.
One I really want to see is Promising Young Woman. Preview looks pretty awesome. Hopefully we will watch tonight as long as I don’t get stuck at the hospital too late.

I agree about Nomadland. Ok but kind of a snoozer. Serious downer too.

My wife and I usually try to work our way through all the nominees for the major categories but this year maybe not.

One I really want to see is Promising Young Woman. Preview looks pretty awesome. Hopefully we will watch tonight as long as I don’t get stuck at the hospital too late.

I agree about Nomadland. Ok but kind of a snoozer. Serious downer too.

My wife and I usually try to work our way through all the nominees for the major categories but this year maybe not.
I still need to watch Promising Young Woman as well. I think the big disadvantage it's having given the past year was that it wasn't on a streamer but Carey Mulligan is supposed to be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I suggest "Another round"? Danish film really about how the dreariness of everyday life can be mitigated by keeping a constant 0.05 BAC. Plus, everyone involved are teachers, which is hilarious.

Reactions: 1 user
May I suggest "Another round"? Danish film really about how the dreariness of everyday life can be mitigated by keeping a constant 0.05 BAC. Plus, everyone involved are teachers, which is hilarious

I loved "Another Round"

Sound of Metal was another really good one. I think in another year Riz Ahmed would've won Best Actor

Reactions: 1 users
We only watch Netflix or Disney+ these days. 😒

Netflix loses good movies and shows everyday. The selection is not even close to what it used to be a few years ago. I'm considering canceling my subscription.

We only watch Netflix or Disney+ these days. 😒
Soul is great and is on Disney+. Trial of the Chicago 7 and Mank were both on Netflix and I enjoyed both. I'm sure you probably have an Amazon Prime account and there's a lot of good stuff on Prime. We pretty much have every streamer so I figure since I pay for it I should watch anything they put out and get my money's worth.

Netflix loses good movies and shows everyday. The selection is not even close to what it used to be a few years ago. I'm considering canceling my subscription.
The streaming wars humbled Netflix but they still have some good content. I don't see myself canceling anytime soon. The service I watch least is Hulu and I only have it because it came in a bundle my Spotify account.

He’s a great actor. He was awesome in the HBO limited run series “The Night Of” with John Turturro (fantastic if you haven’t seen it).
LOVED "The Night Of". Turturro (especially his closing argument) and Ahmed were both excellent and I love Richard Price's writing.

Reactions: 2 users
I haven't watched many of the new movies this year besides Tenet, which was good, and very Christopher Nolan-esque (mind**** with some sort of emphasis on time, most like Inception). The thing that infuriates me with Christopher Nolan movies is that the dialogue is not clearly decipherable without subtitles. In a movie that requires close attention like that, it's almost not even worth it for me to see in theaters if I am missing so much dialogue.

Currently, I'm anxiously awaiting Dune and Top Gun.

Some not completely new movies I've seen in the last week were Joker (pretty cool) and Mulan (much better than the cartoon and felt like a much different movie, unlike The Lion King remake).

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't watched many of the new movies this year besides Tenet, which was good, and very Christopher Nolan-esque (mind**** with some sort of emphasis on time, most like Inception). The thing that infuriates me with Christopher Nolan movies is that the dialogue is not clearly decipherable without subtitles. In a movie that requires close attention like that, it's almost not even worth it for me to see in theaters if I am missing so much dialogue.

Some not completely new movies I've seen in the last week were Joker (pretty cool) and Mulan (much better than the cartoon and felt like a much different movie, unlike The Lion King remake).
Yes. All of this. We could have an entire subthread on Tenet alone. 100% agree that something with the sound mix was off. I speculate they intended people to watch it in theaters with good sound so maybe the dialogue would cut through better. I recently experienced the same sound mix issue watching Godzilla vs Kong. I could barely hear the dialogue and basically watched the movie through headphones on my game controller.

I recently read Dune so I look forward to seeing it on screen which will help me make more sense of the story. Definitely count me in on Top Gun: Maverick. Who are we kidding.....I'm there day 1 from Black Widow. I mean, it's Scar Jo center stage.

Onward was great.
Soul was good, very adult movie. But I liked onward better

Trial of 7 was pretty good.

Watched tenet on the airplane last week. What a crazy movie. I loved inception, but almost had a hard time following tenet.

Cobra Kai is a good show. We love Schitts Creek.

I'm looking forward to Without Remorse this week on Amazon Prime. Im a big fan of the Jack Ryan series

Every week I looked forward to it. Every week I was a little disappointed. I thought season 1 was better. RIP Kuiil. I have spoken.
The part that upset me was that the episodes ended. They could be a little longer time wise.
the last episode of season 2 was fantastic.

@Twiggidy Jack Ryan is a great franchise show as well.

likely not in the award convo, but I’m looking forward to seeing the new mortal kombat. I grew up on those games and the first two movies (Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was not as good at the first movie, but still okay.)

The part that upset me was that the episodes ended. They could be a little longer time wise.
the last episode of season 2 was fantastic.

@Twiggidy Jack Ryan is a great franchise show as well.

likely not in the award convo, but I’m looking forward to seeing the new mortal kombat. I grew up on those games and the first two movies (Mortal Kombat: Annihilation was not as good at the first movie, but still okay.)

Re: Mortal Kombat - A couple cool fight scenes, but the acting and writing was horrendous. You could watch the first 10 minutes or so and then skip to the last 10 minutes or so and see 99% of the parts worth watching.

Reactions: 2 users
Speeches are too long so far, but I think they're allowing longer speeches because there are no song performances tonight.

I just started watching shadow and bones on netflix. It is pretty fun. I am now planning on reading the books. I guess netflix is still doing well.

I just started watching shadow and bones on netflix. It is pretty fun. I am now planning on reading the books. I guess netflix is still doing well.

Not that great;)
A6A7E456-C6EE-4E90-AF08-1A62464B5CE8.jpeg

Ha! I read Dune recently as well because the trailer looked so good. I've probably watched it about a dozen times.

Speaking of TV shows, is anybody excited about Amazon's Lord of the Rings show?

Also, the new season of The Handmaid's Tale comes out on 4/28. It's one of those shows that isn't perfect but that I am invested in nonetheless. Last season started out sloooow and only picked up in the last couple episodes.

Ha! I read Dune recently as well because the trailer looked so good. I've probably watched it about a dozen times.

Speaking of TV shows, is anybody excited about Amazon's Lord of the Rings show?

Also, the new season of The Handmaid's Tale comes out on 4/28. It's one of those shows that isn't perfect but that I am invested in nonetheless. Last season started out sloooow and only picked up in the last couple episodes.

Haven't heard of it but I am now very interested.

Re: Mortal Kombat - A couple cool fight scenes, but the acting and writing was horrendous. You could watch the first 10 minutes or so and then skip to the last 10 minutes or so and see 99% of the parts worth watching.

Best. Movie. Ever. GET OVER HERE!

Yes. All of this. We could have an entire subthread on Tenet alone. 100% agree that something with the sound mix was off. I speculate they intended people to watch it in theaters with good sound so maybe the dialogue would cut through better. I recently experienced the same sound mix issue watching Godzilla vs Kong. I could barely hear the dialogue and basically watched the movie through headphones on my game controller.

I recently read Dune so I look forward to seeing it on screen which will help me make more sense of the story. Definitely count me in on Top Gun: Maverick. Who are we kidding.....I'm there day 1 from Black Widow. I mean, it's Scar Jo center stage.
Nolan makes the dialogue muffled on purpose. He wants the sound element to have more emphasis

"We made carefully considered creative decisions. There are particular moments in this film where I decided to use dialogue as a sound effect, so sometimes it’s mixed slightly underneath the other sound effects or in the other sound effects to emphasize how loud the surrounding noise is. It’s not that nobody has ever done these things before, but it's a little unconventional for a Hollywood movie.

Read More: Why Is Christopher Nolan’s Dialogue So Hard to Understand? | Why Is Christopher Nolan’s Dialogue So Hard to Understand?"

Nolan makes the dialogue muffled on purpose. He wants the sound element to have more emphasis

"We made carefully considered creative decisions. There are particular moments in this film where I decided to use dialogue as a sound effect, so sometimes it’s mixed slightly underneath the other sound effects or in the other sound effects to emphasize how loud the surrounding noise is. It’s not that nobody has ever done these things before, but it's a little unconventional for a Hollywood movie.

Read More: Why Is Christopher Nolan’s Dialogue So Hard to Understand? | Why Is Christopher Nolan’s Dialogue So Hard to Understand?"
I like the idea of doing this from time to time throughout movies with selectively less important lines, especially chaotic movies such as Dunkirk, but when almost all of the dialogue is hard to catch in a movie with a complex plot, it's borderline not even worth watching in cinema without subtitles.

Haven't watched the Oscars but it seems like it was in person...was it?

I love the Mortal Kombat video games. I haven't watched the new movie yet, but the trailer wasn't as exciting as I'd hoped. The movie didn't seem to get good ratings.

Looking forward to Dune. Nearly everything Villeneuve has done has blown me away, even his lesser known stuff. Really special filmmaker

Although I enjoyed it, I don’t think Borat was Oscar worthy. But here’s an anesthesia connection.

Last edited:
Although I enjoyed it, I don’t think Borat was Oscar worthy. But here’s an anesthesia connection.

I was confused how it earned a nomination for “Best Adapted Screenplay” Some have argued it shouldn’t because it’s mostly improvised. I thought Maria Bakalova was hilarious and part of me wanted her to win to shake things up but Yuh-Jung Youn was amazing

Last edited:
Run (2020) on Hulu- IM hypnotics, paralytics, cholinesterase inhibitors, and an extubation all in one movie! Probably won't win any oscars but it was a fun watch!

Last edited: