Osteoblasts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tokspor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: This is from AAMC 3.

Osteoblasts, which form bone, and osteoclasts, which resorb it, work together to cause continuous bone remodeling. In a person suffering from osteoporosis, which of the following combinations of changes in the activity of these cell types will most likely occur?

A) Increased osteoblast and decreased osteoclast activity
B) Increased osteoblast and increased osteoclast activity
C) Decreased osteoblast and decreased osteoclast activity
D) Decreased osteoblast and increased osteoclast activity

Why is the answer D? I understand that D might cause the situation given in the question stem, but the question seems to be asking what effect osteoporosis will have. But thinking about this from a homeostasis point of view, it seems like the body would try to increase osteoblast activity to make up for the loss of bone, wouldn't it? The fact that the question asks what "will" most likely occur reads to me like "what will the body try to do in response to a loss of bone?"

Members don't see this ad.

Note: This is from AAMC 3.

Osteoblasts, which form bone, and osteoclasts, which resorb it, work together to cause continuous bone remodeling. In a person suffering from osteoporosis, which of the following combinations of changes in the activity of these cell types will most likely occur?

A) Increased osteoblast and decreased osteoclast activity
B) Increased osteoblast and increased osteoclast activity
C) Decreased osteoblast and decreased osteoclast activity
D) Decreased osteoblast and increased osteoclast activity

Why is the answer D? I understand that D might cause the situation given in the question stem, but the question seems to be asking what effect osteoporosis will have. But thinking about this from a homeostasis point of view, it seems like the body would try to increase osteoblast activity to make up for the loss of bone, wouldn't it? The fact that the question asks what "will" most likely occur reads to me like "what will the body try to do in response to a loss of bone?"

You're overthinking the question. Besides, even though the body might be trying to reverse it, the osteoporosis IS occuring. Keep reading the question. They are indeed asking what is going on in a person "suffering" from osteoporosis.

Yes, the question is asking "what's happening in a person who has osteoporosis", or "osteoporosis will happen as a result of which of the following combinations of changes" and NOT " what effect osteoporosis will have" as you are saying.