Osteopathic Gen Surg Residencies that DON'T Require an Audition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceusina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I'm planning on applying to only allopathic gen surg programs due to geographic preferances (actually, it's more like geographic necessity)... but, I'm also verryyyy worried about not matching due to the overall anti-DO bias in allopathic general surgery (which is a whole different issue...)

My 4th year schedule prohibits me from doing a DO audition rotation until December. Is there any utility in doing an audition that late in the year?

Will any (reputable?) DO gen surg residency consider me without an audition? If it makes a difference, my level 1 COMLEX is 600+, but my CV is otherwise pretty unimpressive (slightly better than average class rank, zero research, no extracurricular activities).

Members don't see this ad.

I only know of 2: both are kcumb- St. Anthony hospital in Lakewood, CO and Blue springs, MO (but double check this one). The CO program wants a 600+ on comlex so you're set in that area.
I doubt your 600+ will impress "reputable program" PDs enough to throw interviews at you without an audition, but it doesn't hurt to try. I would apply to a good number of a AOA programs if I were you, including the "less reputable" ones because no research/EC and coming from a DO program will stack against u in acgme. Even some of the top AOA GS programs starting to want applicants with research these days.

The CO program is new, so if they are really only looking at 600+ than i call BS
Some programs I know that interview without auditions are the Rowans, Lutheran, DMC, Plaza, Wycoff, Southhampton, Henry ford, and the AZ program (forget the name)
I don't think St Josephs requires an audition, but you need research and pretty much 650+ for a real shot
Its impossible at Genesys to get an interview without an audition

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently, I'm planning on applying to only allopathic gen surg programs due to geographic preferances (actually, it's more like geographic necessity)... but, I'm also verryyyy worried about not matching due to the overall anti-DO bias in allopathic general surgery (which is a whole different issue...)

My 4th year schedule prohibits me from doing a DO audition rotation until December. Is there any utility in doing an audition that late in the year?

Will any (reputable?) DO gen surg residency consider me without an audition? If it makes a difference, my level 1 COMLEX is 600+, but my CV is otherwise pretty unimpressive (slightly better than average class rank, zero research, no extracurricular activities).

Did you take Usmle? I applied allopathic general surgery in NY, NJ and PA. You can PM me if you'd like

Reactions: 1 user
The CO program is new, so if they are really only looking at 600+ than i call BS
Some programs I know that interview without auditions are the Rowans, Lutheran, DMC, Plaza, Wycoff, Southhampton, Henry ford, and the AZ program (forget the name)
I don't think St Josephs requires an audition, but you need research and pretty much 650+ for a real shot
Its impossible at Genesys to get an interview without an audition

Thank you very much for the information!

do you feel USMLE helped you? or hurt?

im interested in gen surg and am debating on whether or not to take it

do you feel USMLE helped you? or hurt?

im interested in gen surg and am debating on whether or not to take it

If you're planning on applying to allopathic gen surg programs, you MUST take the USMLE. It's not just recommended/optional, but a necessity (unless you have amazingly good "connections" to a certain residency program). Even ACGME programs with DO program directors require the USMLE. Also, you need to do, at minimum, the national average or better. Ideally, you'd be aiming for 240+ as a DO (I only did average, but I'm still glad I took it because if hadn't taken it, allopathic programs would likely be "off limits"... so I guess it helped me, but having a better score would have helped me much more). Doing poorly on the USMLE or not taking it would be prohibitive for matching allopathic gen surg (in my opinion... and the opinion of several programs directors I've spoken with directly).

Reactions: 1 user