Osteopathic GI Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed any light into the osteopathic GI fellowship programs? How competitive are they? Do they take only students that do IM at their hospital? I see there are 16 programs that take 1-2 students annually.

Parkview Medical Center - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Pueblo
CO

NSUCOM/Largo Medical Center - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Largo
FL

NSUCOM/Larkin Community Hospital - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
South Miami
FL

MWU/CCOM/Riverside Medical Center - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Kankakee
IL

St James Hosp & Health Centers - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Olympia Fields
IL

Botsford General Hospital - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Farmington Hills
MI

Genesys Regional Med Ctr-Health Park - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Grand Blanc
MI

McLaren Greater Lansing - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Lansing
MI

St John Providence Health System-Osteo Div - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Warren
MI

EVVCOM/Blue Ridge Healthcare - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Morganton
NC

UMDNJ/SOM/Kennedy University Hosp/Our Lady of Lourdes - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Stratford
NJ

TUCOM/Valley Hospital Medical Center - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Las Vegas
NV

Oklahoma State University Medical Center - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Tulsa
OK

WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Corvallis
OR

Millcreek Community Hospital - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Erie
PA

UNTHSC/TCOM/Plaza Medical Center - Gastroenterology Fellowship
Gastroenterology
Fort Worth
TX

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will take a crack at it. Not a GI fellow. However have good experience with local hospitals in the area. DO resident in an ACGME-IM program in MI.

Botsford- busy hospital, see a good mix of suburbanites and poor folk. Never rotated there personally myself but its hailed as being one of the better DO hospitals in the area. Has a university feel I was told, good attending teaching. Cant really tell you how the GI program is, assuming it should be good as Botsford is a small place but gets alot of pathology.

St John - Work with MD and DO fellows. Think they take 2 MD people, and 1 DO fellow each year. Big hospital network here in MI. As a DO fellow you will most likely spend a lot of time at the Warren sites. The main hub is in Southfield. Busy hospital, love to do procedures. Heard good things about their GI fellowship. On the clinical side more than research I would say. Detroit provides great pathology and St John network is pretty popular here

Mclaren Hospital, Lansing (Ingham) - I rotated as a volunteer in undergrad. There are only two hospitals in Lansing area (Sparrow and Mclaren), Mclaren is in the poor area. Have alot of fellowships, heard good things about the fellowships there. I was actually considering there IM program as I really liked working there in undergrad. I believe as the GI fellow you spend time at the Sparrow Hospital also (huge level 1 trauma center in Downtown Lansing, they share their fellows I believe with Mclaren, dont have their own GI fellowship).

Best I can do to comment, coming from a resident though.

Last edited:
Hey guys, i remember being in your shoes and having questions that often went unanswered so ill try to chime in here. I am a D.O. and currently a 2nd year GI fellow at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, IL, which is an MD program. I did my IM residency here and was fortunate enough to get a spot.

I am very familiar with the GI program at St James as my 2 good friends are the 3rd year fellows there. Its a great program. You get a ton of procedures and you will graduate to be a very competent GI in a community practise. Only downside is you wont enough ERCP to be able to do them after you graduate. My buddies tell me they are in the process of setting up a rotation with an GI doc at Christ Medical Center who does a ton of advanced procedures (ERCP, EUS, etc). This will help increase the number of ERCPs they will get. The fellows do away rotations at UIC and UofC for nutrition and liver. Not much reseacrh at all, all clinical. There is alot of autonomy and self learning, you will not be force fed. If you want something, you have to put in work and go get it, thats just how life is. Like many things, you get out of it what you put in.

I am also familiar with the D.O. GI program in Kankakee, IL. Its a relatively new program, I think there very first fellow is graduating this year or just graduated, either way, i think its 3years old or so. You basically work with the one main group out of Riverside hospital in Kankakee (Digestive Disease Consultants of Kankaee). Great group of guys from what I hear, you get a ton or procedures and also get enough ERCP i think. Downsides I imagine would be didactics, not sure how strong they would be at a new program like that. Really no research, all clinical stuff. I believe the fellows also do away rotations at UIC for liver and nutrition.

My other good friend is the 2nd year fellow at the D.O. GI program in Las Vegas. He was there first fellow, so it is also a new program. He loves it! Loves the teaching, loves his attendings and gets a ton of procedures..super busy from day one. He will get enough ERCP to do them when he is done. He says he also gets a fair amount of exposure to EUS.

ALL GI PROGRAMS ARE COMPETITIVE. Whether DO or MD. So, at the end of the day, a GI spot anywhere is a GI spot. I love my fellowship and love what I do. As far as I know, you do not neccsarily have to a rotation at these places to get a spot. I know for a fact my from at St James came from a NJ IM program and did not rotate at St James.

Overall, try to have a good personality, be liked by EVERYONE/be able to get along with people, work hard, do research, present at national conferences (ACG, DDW, etc) and get good letters..all things you need to get a GI spot. (Obviously having a good scores is also needed, but I think those other things may be as important). As a fellow, your attendings rely on you. You are with them 6 days a week for 10-12 hours a day. You have to be able to be trusted and liked. All little things that you realize end up laying a larger than expected role. Hope this info helped...Gluck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the info! I was particularly interested in Midwest programs! By the way, do they look at medical school grades when applying to fellowship programs or is it mostly board scores and letters of Rec?

I do not think medical school grades play a big role for fellowships. LOR, board scores, publications and research play the biggest roles.