Osteopathic Ortho Residency for below-average stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Duotone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all your contributions to this wonderful forum.

I am an OMS-III currently doing my clerkships and also about to schedule audition rotations. I have 4 X 4wks audition rotation slots to schedule and want to optimize my chances as realistically as I can. My stats:

COMLEX-1: 530s
USMLE-1: 220s
Class performance: Straight Bs (Mid-80s)
Clerkship: All honors thus far (including GenSurg,IM, Peds, FM)
Rec Letters: Predictably decent (based on my clerkship)
No publications/research/posters
No failed test/exam/remediation/reprimands

I do believe this may not be the stats that would open doors, but with the help of my audition rotations (and hopefully interviews), I intend to squeeze in and stay in wherever a door is ajar. I am not restricted by location, and will go to, and make the best of wherever I get accepted (IF I get accepted).

I need some advice on programs to aim for and those to avoid because of the limitations in my stats.
Thus far, it seems like Mercy St Vincent, Dayton, Toledo, Doctors & DesPeres may be out of my reach based on the info I have acquired from the archives of this forum. However, any inside info on these programs and many others is well appreciated.

I am also making alternative specialty plans (in the spirit of being realistic) should Ortho not work out. Thanks all for your input and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Mercy St. Vincent is the Toledo program.

Quite honestly, with that score, its not likely to happen (re Toledo)

That program had a bit of a down turn after a number of attendings left. However, there is a flurry of new attendings (I will be one in a few months) and so it will likely become very competitive again.