Ostepathic TRI + Allopathic Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful3488

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all:

I was reading the following :

All prerequisite post-graduate clinical education required for entry into ACGME-accredited residency programs must be completed in ACGME-accredited residency programs, ACGME International-accredited residency programs, or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)-accredited residency programs located in Canada.

What exactly does this mean for those who wish to complete an AOA TRI starting July 2015 and match into an advanced ACGME anesthesia program for 2016? Is this no longer viable?

Members don't see this ad.

I was coming to ask just this question. Especially with the merger and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told on interviews this was acceptable. Two program directors in PA said they preferred this to doing ACGME prelim due to resolution 42. I don't think it matters, but they specifically said am. AOA TRI was fully acceptable.

Note that it's likely a match violation to contact a non-SOAP eligible AOA program prior to Friday if you've matched advanced only so far.

Reactions: 1 user
I was told on interviews this was acceptable. Two program directors in PA said they preferred this to doing ACGME prelim due to resolution 42. I don't think it matters, but they specifically said am. AOA TRI was fully acceptable.

Note that it's likely a match violation to contact a non-SOAP eligible AOA program prior to Friday if you've matched advanced only so far.

Was it more than just two programs in PA who said this was OK?

Yes

You shouldn't take my anonymous internet opinion on this; you should contact advanced programs on Friday and ask

Thanks...

I just had one other general question. Say we start internship in July 2015 without an Advanced residency to match into in July 2016. Is it more difficult to apply and match into Advanced slots during the 2015-2016 match cycle, considering those advanced slots were already filled from the 2014-2015 cycle? In other words, is it more difficult to match as a graduate into advanced positions, than as a med student?

You would have two options if you are already an intern with no advanced spot for 2016. 1) apply to "R" spots, spots specifically for people who are in or have already completed intern year which would begin CA1 July 2016. These are not advanced spots from this year that were filled in the match and then happened to come open again. 2) Match into an advanced position starting July 2017 and take a year off in between. I believe most programs offer some R spots but the number is significantly lower than the number of categorical and advanced positions offered. People who go for these positions tend to be people who are changing into anesthesia from another specialty. Because there are fewer spots it is likely more difficult to match into an R spot versus a medical student who has access to all of the advanced and categorical positions.

Thanks...

I just had one other general question. Say we start internship in July 2015 without an Advanced residency to match into in July 2016. Is it more difficult to apply and match into Advanced slots during the 2015-2016 match cycle, considering those advanced slots were already filled from the 2014-2015 cycle? In other words, is it more difficult to match as a graduate into advanced positions, than as a med student?