OSU and Miami w/scholarships vs. UNC (IS w/o scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bauhinia123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ohio State is a really impressive medical school crappy location aside, I would be inclined to pick them taking all costs into consideration. Although Pitt has a lot of merits, including a slight status advantage, I don't think it's worth paying an extra 100K for over OSU. I wouldn't even say it's worth 50K more. But cost versus prestige is a really subjective thing -- if your parents are helping to pay for med school, it might be worth it to sink the extra money. It would at the least be a nice option to have, GL with the waitlist movement.

Last edited:
update: I'm also considering UVA very favorably now that I received the $24K per year need-based aid. Is it true that the difference in ranking between UNC and UVA is pretty much negligible? I like UVA's innovative curriculum and national pool of applicants a lot better and I'm worried about being a guinea pig for the new curriculum at UNC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't been to UNC but liked UVA a lot when I visited. Their curriculum seemed well-established. If you like small towns then Charlottesville seemed awesome. Between UNC and UVA I'd probably personally say there really isn't a difference in reputation but I did notice that UVA seemed to place a lot of people outside of VA for residency (I have no basis of comparison for UNC in that arena though). If the cost is ~equal go to the school you felt more comfortable at. Keep in mind that most students at UVA will probably be IS as at UNC but I don't really think being one of a few OOS students is a huge deal (since I'm also in that situation).

Haven't been to UNC but liked UVA a lot when I visited. Their curriculum seemed well-established. If you like small towns then Charlottesville seemed awesome. Between UNC and UVA I'd probably personally say there really isn't a difference in reputation but I did notice that UVA seemed to place a lot of people outside of VA for residency (I have no basis of comparison for UNC in that arena though). If the cost is ~equal go to the school you felt more comfortable at. Keep in mind that most students at UVA will probably be IS as at UNC but I don't really think being one of a few OOS students is a huge deal (since I'm also in that situation).
I believe UVA is 50/50 IS and OOS. Much more geographically diverse then UNC. I've also read nothing but good things about surgery at UVA. The ranking difference is absolutely negligible

UVA is pretty much 50/50 IS/OOS

I know the estimated COA at UNC adds up to the number you posted, but is cost of living in the area really going to be $30K/year?

Reactions: 1 user
UVA is pretty much 50/50 IS/OOS

I know the estimated COA at UNC adds up to the number you posted, but is cost of living in the area really going to be $30K/year?

Having lived in the area for some time.. I can say NO CoA won't be even close to $30k/year.

You really should go to OSU based on the combination of cost, opportunities, quality of life, and prestige. But as I would also like a half-tuition merit scholarship from them, you should go elsewhere so they'll give it to me.

At this point, I am learning towards UNC but any feedback would be great, considering that attending OSU and Miami would be $30K cheaper. In addition, they seem to have less of a focus on primary care than UNC.

Having lived in the area for some time.. I can say NO CoA won't be even close to $30k/year.

well, there ya go. There may not be as big of a difference as you think, OP, between UNC and OSU/Miami, OP.

The UNC CoA is vastly overestimated. I can't speak to the accuracy of the CoAs of the other schools, though. I would imagine UNC would end up being the same cost or slightly cheaper than the other options - cost in your case shouldn't be the deciding factor. From what you've written, UNC or UVA seem like the best options. You won't have a problem matching into a surgical specialty from either of those schools, given that you perform relatively well in rotations and on the boards.

34K is a drop in the bucket when deciding between schools.

Either way UNC is a steal for that price and you should have no problem getting into a great surgical residency from there.

Reactions: 1 user
update: I'm also considering UVA very favorably now that I received the $24K per year need-based aid. Is it true that the difference in ranking between UNC and UVA is pretty much negligible? I like UVA's innovative curriculum and national pool of applicants a lot better and I'm worried about being a guinea pig for the new curriculum at UNC.

Speaking as part of the first class in the new curriculum at UVA, I can tell you it sucks to be the guinea pig. Absolutely sucks. I still don't regret my decision to come here, but I've considered many times over the four years whether or not I should have deferred a year.