OSU Quarter to Semester Conversion Issues for Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shmiggler

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So OSU was on a quarter system in 2011-2012, and switched to a semester system in 2012-2013. When OSU was on quarters, they offered Biology in a two quarter sequence, each 5 quarter credits each. I took one quarter of biology (3.3 semester hours converted) and one semester of biology (4 semester hours). Most schools say they require three quarters or two semesters for the full year of biology, equivalent to 8 semester credits. I only have 7.3 semester hours of Biology. Has anyone else come across this problem or something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

I had somewhat similar issues with other prerequisites, and being on a quarter system but applying to semester-based vet schools. I had 4.0 quarter credits of genetics and Tufts required 3 semester credits, which translates to 4.5 quarter credits. They accepted my course so that I wouldn't have to take a whole extra course to get that last half credit. If you know which schools you're interested in applying to, I would recommend emailing to find out. If it's a problem that it's not a full year, you could probably schedule in an extra general biology class later on if you need to, or see if an upper-division biology class could count since that would be more interesting and useful than repeating general bio info.