OSUCOM Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

!dr_nick!

Loves you AND your mom!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alrighty. Anyone been accepted yet?!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm officially a member of OSU-COM's Class of 2009 Hopefuls! It's nice to know for sure now, get the tension out of the way, but man, I really miss the adrenaline rush!! LOL. I am really suffering from Senioritis now that I know I'm already in and all I have to do is complete this semester!!! :D
How do YOU feel, now that you made through the Big Hoop?

steponie said:
I'm officially a member of OSU-COM's Class of 2009 Hopefuls! It's nice to know for sure now, get the tension out of the way, but man, I really miss the adrenaline rush!! LOL. I am really suffering from Senioritis now that I know I'm already in and all I have to do is complete this semester!!! :D
How do YOU feel, now that you made through the Big Hoop?

Congratulations! Welcome! I remember the post acceptance classes, blahhhh!!!

Let us know if you have any questions, we'll do our best to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
class of '08 represent

kwooder said:
Congratulations! Welcome! I remember the post acceptance classes, blahhhh!!!

Let us know if you have any questions, we'll do our best to help.

May I say as a member of class of '07, your avatar is highly disturbing, and Dr. sertoli?, lol nice way to work in a testicle joke........

Hernandez said:
May I say as a member of class of '07, your avatar is highly disturbing, and Dr. sertoli?, lol nice way to work in a testicle joke........

Could be? May have some clumping there... Yep, it's a marble.

DrMom said:
Show off! :p Idio & I are just shortly behind you :)

ah yes, but for two years I could be your attending :cool:

and when you do ED you'll be calling *me* for consults :smuggrin:

and when idio finally finishes his residency in neurosurg i will be retired :laugh: (but we all know since he is a DO he will need all his orders co-signed by nurses and have his surgeries led by a surgical intern) :laugh: :cool: ;)

--your friendly neighborhood scuts em out with the best caveman

Hey guys i got my acceptance for the OSU-COM class of 09' about two weeks ago. I'm really excited about it, the atmosphere up there was awesome. By the way does anybody know anything about the Westport Apartments. see ya in aug.

drjj said:
Hey guys i got my acceptance for the OSU-COM class of 09' about two weeks ago. I'm really excited about it, the atmosphere up there was awesome. By the way does anybody know anything about the Westport Apartments. see ya in aug.

Yes. Lots of current MS1s live there, myself included. Thus far no problems i havent experienced at other apartment complexes.

And there had better be some hot unmarried females in this next years class. So far the girls in my class i have to... hmm... place in the "friends only" category :laugh: :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
about how much a month do they charge for an apartment? based on size?

drjj said:

-The area around campus is in an industrial area, and not too fun at night
-No places around there to eat or shop or get groceries, unless you like McDonald's every day
-Lots of Brown Recluse Spiders & other scary critters
-Next door to government project housing
-$100 more a month than very similar apartments just a few miles south (they arein a less expensive area that has much more to offer, and is in a much more desireable area)

-PM me for other apartment ideas --> I had to do all the research on apartments myself, and decided to live in a more desirable area

osudoc makes some good points. But really, the brown recluses leave me alone. I just feed them a puppy every now and then and they let me live.

However, im lazy and prefer not to commute. Kinda nice to be able to walk back over for lunch. My large bedroom is 525. I think. I prepaid my rent, but that figure seems right.

!dr_nick! said:
osudoc makes some good points. But really, the brown recluses leave me alone. I just feed them a puppy every now and then and they let me live.

However, im lazy and prefer not to commute. Kinda nice to be able to walk back over for lunch. My large bedroom is 525. I think. I prepaid my rent, but that figure seems right.

My large 1 bedroom has the same square footage, and the amenities in the apartment are the same. I pay $399 a month.

The Con is that I drive 7-10 minutes to get to school & Have to bring my lunch, buy it in the cafeteria, or drive 5 miles away to get something good.
The Pro is that I have every gas station, grocery store (Super Wal-Mart), fast food restaurant, and regular restaurant that I really want within walking distance, and I also have several banks and the post office.

Hi! I was accepted to OSU last week. I was very impressed with the campus and everyone seems super friendly!

I have a couple of questions. Does anyone commute from any sort of distance (say 30 miles or more)? What is the traffic like in the morning in Tulsa?
Another question (don't want to annoy anyone, but I want to know). Is the student body really politically conservative? I've lived in the south now for several months and I've felt really isolated about political/social issues here. Is it any different in Tulsa?

Tulsa is largely conservative, but nothing exclusive. I'd say the same for the med school.

Most people don't commute any great distance, but there are some. Are you looking for something to rent? I'd be glad to give my $0.02 on drives to Tulsa from various communities.

KatieJune said:
Hi! I was accepted to OSU last week. I was very impressed with the campus and everyone seems super friendly!

I have a couple of questions. Does anyone commute from any sort of distance (say 30 miles or more)? What is the traffic like in the morning in Tulsa?
Another question (don't want to annoy anyone, but I want to know). Is the student body really politically conservative? I've lived in the south now for several months and I've felt really isolated about political/social issues here. Is it any different in Tulsa?

I drive 10 miles to school everyday, and it takes me about 10 minutes to get to class. There are several people who live in BA, and I know of at least one that lives in Mannford.

As for political conservatism, there are some very liberal students in our class and there are clubs on campus that support those issues if you are interested.

Here's student doctor carroll consorting with the bastion of the liberal left.
He has connections everywhere. Be scared!!!

patch.jpg

!dr_nick! said:
Here's student doctor carroll consorting with the bastion of the liberal left.
He has connections everywhere. Be scared!!!

patch.jpg

Well you did tell him you love him.

Over and over again.

What can I say. We both have impeccable taste. :thumbup:

DrMom said:
It certainly looks like a romantic moment ;)

Hey thats not really lovin, just an OMM instructional. BTW he has gentler hands than most of my female ms1 counterparts.

Did they feel like "noodles?"

Argh, sorry about the idiocy of that joke...too much anatomy!

DrCoreyOSU said:
Did they feel like "noodles?"

Well student doctor corey, it was like a gentle, reassuring loving touch.

The girls at the school just want to man handle me and feel my guns. I cant say i blame them, but geez louise, have some restraint people.

Any out-of-state OSU students? What do you think of the area/program? Do most OSU grads stay in OK?

petstoreboy said:
Any out-of-state OSU students? What do you think of the area/program? Do most OSU grads stay in OK?

Yeah, I'm out of state from Texas. I'll likely stay in Oklahoma if I get a residency here.

petstoreboy said:

out-of-state OSU alum here. i was very satisfied with the area/program and how it prepared me for residency, and would go there again.

--your friendly neighborhood NICU rotating intern caveman

KatieJune said:

Overall the student body is very conservative, but stick with me and you'll be fine. you can find me at Kilkenny's on most nights.

drjj said:

just a word of caution if you have a nice vehicle. in the past several months, there have been many thefts and break-ins of vehicles, 2 from OSU-COM and one of the guys had his car broke into not once but twice in 3 or 4 days, they where trying to steal the car but were unsuccessful cause they must have skipped honda hot wiring day 1........

Hernandez said:
just a word of caution if you have a nice vehicle. in the past several months, there have been many thefts and break-ins of vehicles, 2 from OSU-COM and one of the guys had his car broke into not once but twice in 3 or 4 days, they where trying to steal the car but were unsuccessful cause they must have skipped honda hot wiring day 1........

I've never heard anything about this. What time of day did this occur?

OSUdoc08 said:
I've never heard anything about this. What time of day did this occur?

The first one happened at night, ~4:30 am, I don't know when they broke into the other one. And unless you specifically refer to the incident at the office they "don't know about it." If you think I might be making it up, IM me and I'll share more specific details, but I'm not going to post the names of whose vehicles they were on the internet............

Hernandez said:
The first one happened at night, ~4:30 am, I don't know when they broke into the other one. And unless you specifically refer to the incident at the office they "don't know about it." If you think I might be making it up, IM me and I'll share more specific details, but I'm not going to post the names of whose vehicles they were on the internet............

Come on now--if you are still parked up there at 4:30am, then you are asking for it.

OSUdoc08 said:
Come on now--if you are still parked up there at 4:30am, then you are asking for it.

no, in the westport parking lot, the school's lot has camera's and I've not heard of anything happening there.

Hernandez said:
no, in the westport parking lot, the school's lot has camera's and I've not heard of anything happening there.

My Benz has never been tampered wit. Yet.
BTW Westport will pretty much deny anything negative unless you can corner them down.

yeah, like when friends dont let friends sleep through class to 2PM.....!!!! Westport rules.... they sent a maintenance man to wake the goober up.... serves him right.... well there is more love for u though

I am officially a member of the OSU-COM class of 2009!

Hey Dr Mom… I saw in another thread that you thought that Dr. Billings was a funny Dr. Name. When I am done I will be Dr. Billings. :laugh: Now that is funny!

I am so excited and I am so looking forward to starting that I don't know what to do until then. Any tips or suggestions on what to do until Aug?

DrMom said:
Congrats! Honestly, you need to relax between now and then. No extra studying!!!!

I'll second the congrats and the orders to RELAX while you can. No amount of what you view as preparation will get you ready for first year, so just enjoy your freedom while you have it! You'll have plenty of cause to study once you get here; we promise!

Seriously, relaxing is the way to go. Now is the time to waste lots of "study time" on SDN or Facebook. Have fun now, because Meek will get you soon enough!

Whatever.

Study anatomy, as much as you can. When that gets dull, study histology. You will wish you had, when all is said and done.

Thanks for the tips... I will probably do some of both... My wife and I have a vacation planed for July... And I will still work at the hospital lab in Stillwater until July so I have time while I am waiting for work to look over some anatomy stuff... Nothing hard core but just reveiw what I've already had... How much free time after classes and studying does a first year have? Is there any? My wife and I have discussed a date night. Do you guys have any ideas?

Wayland

Idiopathic said:
Whatever.

Study anatomy, as much as you can. When that gets dull, study histology. You will wish you had, when all is said and done.

oh AND BIOCHEM. FOR SURE. :laugh: :thumbdown:

waydo2b said:
Thanks for the tips... I will probably do some of both... My wife and I have a vacation planed for July... And I will still work at the hospital lab in Stillwater until July so I have time while I am waiting for work to look over some anatomy stuff... Nothing hard core but just reveiw what I've already had... How much free time after classes and studying does a first year have? Is there any? My wife and I have discussed a date night. Do you guys have any ideas?

Wayland

You'll definitely have time for a date night. In fact, you should make time, even if you don't feel you have enough. Not during finals week, mind you, but just about every other week. Date night is one of the few things that have kept my wife and I sane this year so far.
As for free time in general, you really have as much as you want. You may not pass your classes, but it is up to you. Different people have different needs as far as dedicated study time is concerned. I'd say, hit the books like a madman for the first round of tests, and see where you stand. DON'T do what I did and take it easy for the first round of tests to get a feel for the professors. Man, was that bad hole to dig out of! I passed every one of the first exams but one, but I could have done SOOOOOOO much better. Hope this helps to answer your questions.

waydo2b said:

Wayland

You have to make time, but you'll have time for a date night, now, 2nd semester of 1st year is a differnt story, but again, you must make time for your wife and your sanity. if you insist on studying, buy Chung's board review book for anatomy and get the histology book they use, but I really don't see how that will help unless you can learn all of the information down pat,

yes make time and best of luck