OT application/prerequisites advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlr5585

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking my prerequisites right now for OT school and applying to two programs, one starts in July and one starts in August. I am concerned because many of the prerequisites I am taking are science courses and I have been told by the schools that they will not be able to calculate my science GPA because I am still in progress with these courses and they don't have a grade (even though they will be done before they program starts). One school told me to submit all my other materials and then at the end of May (when the Spring Semester ends) to submit my official transcript and only then they will look at my file to consider me for admission, but then he added "if they still had space in the program." I asked the other school if I could do that as well, but they have not responded yet (I just e-mailed them). I am concerned that by the time I submit my new transcript in May with most of my science pre-requisites that most of the programs will be filled up or it will be too late or something. Has this happened to anyone? If I don't enter these programs this year, I have to wait an ENTIRE YEAR to apply again because they only start once per year. Thanks for reading this and your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

When I interviewed at Texas Tech they did mention that one reason why an applicant might be put on the waiting list after the interview is due to outstanding pre-requisites, but they will look at the file once you have completed them.

I know that most schools do try and fill up their classes as much as possible with the first round of applicants, but that does not mean much. A lot of applicants get into other schools, their situtations chance financially and might not be able to go far away anymore. Those are just a few things to think about.

If I were you I would submit all my materials, and in the personal statement mention that you are aware that you are not finished with some of the pre-requisites but you know that you will succeed and be a great addition to their program or something along those lines. Then if you get offered an interview you can stress that point again! There is no harm in trying, especially if you will have to wait an entire year! I hope this helps. Good luck!

The problem is that I think they will consider my file incomplete until they receive my transcript in May (with the science prerequisites) because they can't calculate my science GPA, therefore they can't figure out whether they can or can't offer me an interview yet. I am worried that by the time May comes and my grades are still high, they classes will be filled up and they will not be interviewing anymore even though my other materials were in by the deadline and the school operates on a rolling admission basis.

Some schools offer a conditional yes, but apparently your school doesn't/ didn't offer it to you. :thumbdown:

You are doing all you can.
Keep smiling, knock out the pre-req's, you will be in soon. :thumbup: