General Admissions & OTCAS OT chances at 30??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weaver84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
University: ETSU
Major: Exercise Science / Physical Education Minor: Art
Overall GPA: 3.107 Last 60: 3.418
Pre-Req GPA: 3.272 (Oh A&P...)
GRE: V 150 Q 145 W 4.0

Extra-Curric: Vice President Exercise Science Club, Observation 515 hrs, over 1400 clinical hours Chiropractic, and OT Tech 153 hours and counting! Also, loads of experience creatively/artistically(career, hobby, and awarded). Always had 2-3 jobs while in school and carried 18-20 hours (is that something schools will even appreciate?).

Volunteer: Relay for life 3 years (w/awards and team officer 1 yr.), Special Olympics 2013, Bake Sales/Jason's Deli's fundraiser for American Cancer Society

Applying: Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Lenoir Rhyne, and Milligan. ANY other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Story: I'm 30, non-traditional career changer from Graphic Design (3 yrs), to Chiropractic Therapist Assistant (2 yrs), to OT hopeful. Also have 50% hearing loss in both ears, wear hearing aids, and federally considered "severe" loss. I've chosen not to mention this in my applications, is this a mistake? My close friends and coworkers don't know about my "condition", because I don't want people to treat me differently. But, in this competitive race.... I *do* know what it's like to have to adapt, make things work, and deal with a limitation. But will school's see my hearing loss as a weakness?

I know my GPA isn't amazing, but I hope the rest of my stats push my app up? Thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

Don't tell them. It WILL put you in a disadvantage. If you do get accepted, keep it to yourself UNLESS you are really struggling. You may have to work harded and it is tough but it will make you look stronger and admirable when you graduate in the end :) Your extra curric and volunteer exp. are excellent. Jobs will always be considered while you were at school. Retake some pre-reqs if you can. I hear that Virginia Commonwealth does not do interviews. May be worth looking into. Your last 60 is good and they WILL look into that. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
SWEET article find bebob!! Also, I think I'll just keep it to myself as it doesn't affect my performance in the work place/at school (neither settings are even aware). This whole process is making me very competitive, I've never wanted anything so badly! Thanks for the feedback!

You're welcome. Take care. :)

I'm 33 and am in my second year of my program. There are several people my age or older (as much as 20 years older than me) in my program as well. Age has relatively little to do with it, and in some cases, being older means you have more experience to add to the clinical reasoning process. I don't know that I agree with 'hiding' your disability. The ADA laws protect you from discrimination, and if you need additional support during your program due to your hearing loss, the schools are generally required to comply. They should all have policy on adaptations for students with disabilities - mine does, and it's printed on every single syllabus. It's totally up to you when and if you want to disclose, but I don't think you need to be secretive about it or anything.

I am sorry - I don't mean to say this in a rude way: This is not a valid concern. There are people in my program in their 50s. Being 30 is a normal age, and you have career and life experience which makes you an appealing candidate. I am in my 30s, and I do not think it hurt my applications one iota. 30 is not 60, it's 30 and people do career shifting at our age, well after 30.

It's kind hard to imagine anyone really thinks 30 is old, or is unusual. It's not.

-Thanks for your reply! I'm glad age wasn't a concern for your application experience! As much I'd love to say I haven't had 100% positive experiences with my age/hearing, I can't. I've seen and heard many instances in the work place and as a student and the real world is in fact, quite harsh to variances from the norm or goal. The reason I've kept my hearing and age to myself: Time and time again I'll be in a circle of individuals having a conversation with people who have no clue about my hearing/age and people (even OT's!) will crack jokes about agism or have strong opinions about people with impairments. While this is unfortunate and unacceptable professionally, it happens. I was hoping to gain a real perspective from this community, to prepare myself to make smart decisions about my application.

"It's kind hard to imagine anyone really thinks 30 is old, or is unusual. It's not." - Was a bit insensitive and judging from your other posts on here, a little polish and learning to tactfully present your thoughts would be helpful. Good luck with your applications!

-Thanks for your reply! I'm glad age wasn't a concern for your application experience! As much I'd love to say I haven't had 100% positive experiences with my age/hearing, I can't. I've seen and heard many instances in the work place and as a student and the real world is in fact, quite harsh to variances from the norm or goal. The reason I've kept my hearing and age to myself: Time and time again I'll be in a circle of individuals having a conversation with people who have no clue about my hearing/age and people (even OT's!) will crack jokes about agism or have strong opinions about people with impairments. While this is unfortunate and unacceptable professionally, it happens. I was hoping to gain a real perspective from this community, to prepare myself to make smart decisions about my application.

"It's kind hard to imagine anyone really thinks 30 is old, or is unusual. It's not." - Was a bit insensitive and judging from your other posts on here, a little polish and learning to tactfully present your thoughts would be helpful. Good luck with your applications!

@weaver84 I am 27 and just started my first year of the program. I also had concerns about my age. Most of the people during the interview process were just out of college and I would not know how I would fit in. In my last career I was one of the younger ones and was used to working with people older than me (great learning experience). Also, it's scary changing careers, and until your do it it's hard to understand (which I know you do). When I got into the program I was pleasantly surprised that there were people my age, but also that the traditional students were SO great! I think because the field is so competitive the students in the program are very mature and focused (way more than I was at 22 haha). I think you will feel you fit in just fine! Also, I would NOT hide your disability. It's part of who you are and is going to give your a unique outlook that all people in your program would learn greatly from. I love hearing others stories and learning from them :) good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sorry you've experiences such unprofessional behavior from other OTs (and people in general). I'm also sorry that there isn't anyone here who can give you the perspective you were looking for. I completely understand not being forthcoming with your disability, and by no means do I think that you need to announce it prior to walking into a room or anything! I was disagreeing more with the person who posted in response to you, telling you that it will put you at a disadvantage. As you've experienced, it might. But it also might not. The age thing is b.s. - anyone who has a problem with your age is not someone worth working with, imho. Again, tons of us in OT school right now are in our 30s, as it's becoming a popular second career, and I've never experienced anyone saying anything about me being too old to be an OT! I happen to take pride in the fact that I'm older, especially in professional settings, because I look considerably younger than I am, and am often treated accordingly (ie, that I don't know what I'm doing) until someone finds out my actual age!

Reactions: 1 users
In my program there's two girls in their early to mid thirties, a guy in his late thirties, and a handful in their late twenties. To be honest I wish there were more older people so the vibe was more mature. I think older students would complement this type of program very well--the older you are the longer you've interacted with a variety of people and you have more life experiences to draw from which helps with "therapeutic use of self"

Reactions: 2 users
I will respond to this as well:

27 - and afraid of being too old, haha. That must make me at 34 just about dead. 27 in an office is a young person. The OT students are mostly in their earlier 20s; but those of us in our 30s etc bring more levity to the program and we are more focused - often- on business than dilly dallying. I think we also bring levity and our life experiences to our classes.

i find it funny that people in their late 20s and early 30s think they are "old". It's easy to think that when you are in a cohort where the average age is 22. Step into an OT practice and you will find that 30 is on the younger/average age side of things.
Making fun of people for their insecurities isn't something I admire in a therapist. But, I respect your confidence. Also, I've observed hundreds of hours in 6 settings and yeah, they're all in their mid 20's or older, but started in their 20's. I've met ONE practicing OT that just got her start. Three others that are non traditional students, that's it. Again, glad your experiences have been wonderful, but this isn't a sounding board to call out people who need support, who've had lesser luck. I'm sure a lot of us are too proud to voice our insecurities to those around us, so we come here. No one deserves to be downed for asking for support.

Last edited:
Making fun of people for their insecurities isn't something I admire in a therapist. But, I respect your confidence. Also, I've observed hundreds of hours in 6 settings and yeah, they're all in their mid 20's or older, but started in their 20's. I've met ONE practicing OT that just got her start. Three others that are non traditional students, that's it. Again, glad your experiences have been wonderful, but this isn't a sounding board to call out people who need suppor, who've had lesser luck. I'm sure a lot of us are too proud to voice our insecurities to those around us, so we come here. No one deserves to be downed for asking for support.

My sentiments exactly!

30 year old here---

I am confident and happy going back to school at this point in my life. I feel like my work/life experiences have prepared me for graduate school. I also think that based on these things, I am a very strong applicant. Yes, undergrad was 10 years ago, and yeah, my GPA wasn't so hot, but now I'm smarter, more dedicated, mature, responsible and so on. I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life after undergrad. Now I do.

Plenty of people pursue careers and live life after undergrad and before grad school. It definitely is not frowned upon by admissions committees.

In terms of the original poster, I don't think that age or disability will hold you back, but rather insecurity/lack of confidence. If you aren't sure you can hack it, why would a college invest in you? These programs are competitive, so find your voice, your reason to practice OT and shine. Don't get caught up in reasons why you CAN'T, just focus on the reasons why you CAN.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My point precisely. I should add that the 50 year old in my program has two adult children who are in college. She is one of the hardest working women I've met who never ceases to impress me or our class. I'm not attacking the poster when I say the issue is the insecurity; being 30 is not a problem at all, and in fact it is likely an asset when compared to the students who just pop up out of college without any real life experience. The average age in my program is probably in the 25ish range, but I am nearly 10 years older than that and I feel very confident in my abilities as a student and as a colleague. I still go out and have fun with my cohort, but I realize that my concerns and questions reflect my own background, and that's great. We all bring our talents and life experience to the table.
I guess the point is made clear that age *is* the predominant fact you're focusing on here. No points on my list of stats or positives? I'm not as concerned about age as you are about going on about it. I mentioned it in the subject line to attract experiences/stats of similar applicants and ONE sentence that said I'm 30 and my career choices during that time. One sentence. I'm not having anxiety attacks over it. Again, we are all ecstatic you go out with your cohort and supremely confident. Congrats. Please, keep bringing this up so we can continue to talk about your confidence. That's why we're here right? If its such a non-issue, let's stop the overblown age conversation, it's getting redundant, weird, and old.

It's easy for us to mistake AGE as being an important factor to you when you title the post: "OT at Age 30?"

Perhaps that's why so many people chimed in. In any case, good luck with apps!!

It's easy for us to mistake AGE as being an important factor to you when you title the post: "OT at Age 30?"

Perhaps that's why so many people chimed in. In any case, good luck with apps!!
Important, sure! But the entire picture, no! I don't mind the chiming in, everyone did well presenting both sides in a tactful manner. Except one individual; but there's always that one, excessively loud outspoken person in the group that won't let it go. Just ignoring that situation, because that's not I treat others or allow myself to be treated.

Also, this is not facebook. This is a professional forum and it and it's members should act with a level of respect you'd show in the workplace. It's not a big deal, I hope it doesn't seem that way?

Look, it's all good, I really really understand what you're saying.

I'm 31 and started last fall. I would say about half of my cohort is late-20s/early 30s, and the rest are recent grads.
Having partial hearing loss should not be a problem. Many people who go into OT do so because of their personal experiences with OT. Personally I think you could describe your hearing experience in your statement of purpose and I don't see why it would be held against you.
If I were you I would retake the GRE and get your writing up to at least 4.5. Your volunteer hours are good but you could have issues with your GPA. The program I'm at is not very high in the school rankings, but they said they got over 600 applications for this fall and don't really look at anyone with less than 3.4gpa. There are a few things you could do to improve your application... really good recommendation letters from OTs could help. If you do not get into OT you could consider OTA. It is much easier to get in, will involve less student debt, and the salary is decent. If you did not do well in A&P you would have a hard time in the beginning OT anatomy course, which is much much harder.
If you decide to apply, I think you have an easier time with programs that do not use OTCAS, because they get fewer applicants.

I'm 38 and will be starting the OT program in the Fall. Your stats look competitive. If you are able to leverage your application (especially your personal statement) to highlight your broad experiences and show their benefits to OT then I think you have a fighting chance. I know that OT programs are very inclusive of applicants with work experience. It's just a matter of highlighting your strengths and uniqueness. In fact, I was told that the entering class of 2014 at UIC only had 12 admitted students that were straight from undergrad. The remaining 26 students all had some form of work experience and most were career shifters. Good luck and don't let your hearing loss cause any anxiety in reaching your goal. If you've gotten this far without it being a hindrance, then you'll be fine. Just tackle the admission process and then take it one step at a time.

Lots of OTs are career changers, including the one who wrote my letter of rec. In fact, ALL of the health professions are getting older applicants. I'm amazed at how many other post-bac pre-healthers I meet, in addition to the usual smattering of 35+ year old returning students. 30 is the new 25.

University: ETSU
Major: Exercise Science / Physical Education Minor: Art
Overall GPA: 3.107 Last 60: 3.418
Pre-Req GPA: 3.272 (Oh A&P...)
GRE: V 150 Q 145 W 4.0

Extra-Curric: Vice President Exercise Science Club, Observation 515 hrs, over 1400 clinical hours Chiropractic, and OT Tech 153 hours and counting! Also, loads of experience creatively/artistically(career, hobby, and awarded). Always had 2-3 jobs while in school and carried 18-20 hours (is that something schools will even appreciate?).

Volunteer: Relay for life 3 years (w/awards and team officer 1 yr.), Special Olympics 2013, Bake Sales/Jason's Deli's fundraiser for American Cancer Society

Applying: Jefferson College of Health Sciences, Lenoir Rhyne, and Milligan. ANY other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Story: I'm 30, non-traditional career changer from Graphic Design (3 yrs), to Chiropractic Therapist Assistant (2 yrs), to OT hopeful. Also have 50% hearing loss in both ears, wear hearing aids, and federally considered "severe" loss. I've chosen not to mention this in my applications, is this a mistake? My close friends and coworkers don't know about my "condition", because I don't want people to treat me differently. But, in this competitive race.... I *do* know what it's like to have to adapt, make things work, and deal with a limitation. But will school's see my hearing loss as a weakness?

I know my GPA isn't amazing, but I hope the rest of my stats push my app up? Thoughts???

A few thoughts. I myself am 33, graduated with a major in Ceramic Art, have been doing pottery/waiting table thing for years until I found OT and decided to pursue a different career. I will be attending OT school this year and could not be more focused or driven-much more than when I was in my early 20s! You have a lot of great life experience that you bring to the table that will only serve you well in your career as an OT.
As far as your hearing loss, I think disclosing it as part of the "journey" that brought you to OT will only help you. Like you said, you know what its like to overcome a challenge and to adapt to a challenging situation. I also think your future clients will look to you as an inspiration, having overcome your own difficulties!!
Best of luck!!!!

Lots of OTs are career changers, including the one who wrote my letter of rec. In fact, ALL of the health professions are getting older applicants. I'm amazed at how many other post-bac pre-healthers I meet, in addition to the usual smattering of 35+ year old returning students. 30 is the new 25.
I absolutely agree! I'm amazed at how much variety is in the applicant pool - it's really refreshing. Ceramics is such an amazing background to have! I took a few classes for my minor and helped another student through the class, she was blind. The class involved making our own clay, throwing, handbuilding, and loading/unloading the kilns - she did ALL of these things! I'd be really excited to see ceramics incorporated into treatment plans. Enjoy your first year, ace it!!!

My dad went back for his M.A. in speech language pathology in his 50's, and he recently graduated and is practicing now. It's never, ever too late!! His younger classmates were very friendly and inclusive. In fact, when he graduated, he (jokingly) hobbled up on stage with a cane, and when he got his diploma he chucked the cane and walked off while his whole class cheered him on. It was a cool moment. If you couldn't tell, I was pretty proud of him. :happy:

I'm a practicing OT since 2009. I was in a weekend program with a lot of second career people and I much preferred that to the typical 22 year olds. They brought a lot of life experiences with them. So, the short answer is that no, 30 is not old to be going to school. There were people in my class who were in their 40s and 50s. Life is too short to not be doing what makes you happy. Regarding your disability, I think that it is your decision about what makes you the most comfortable but OT is a field that is all about working with and adapting for disabilities. A good school will look at that as making your a better OT because you will have experience with adaptations. I also wanted to say that I have worked with OT professionals who had all sorts of disabilities and they are great additions to our field. One of my coworkers has rheumatoid arthritis with fingers stuck in a bent position at the middle joint. Another OT has cerebral palsy and is wheelchair bound. Two assistants that I work with have severe visual disabilities but they are still great at their jobs and have worked in the field for years. Finally, my classmate has hearing issues too. I believe she is almost deaf in one ear but she excelled at school and is now working as a pediatric OT. Again, it is your decision but I would not be afraid of discussing your disability. After all, that is what OT is all about, not letting disability define a person or limit what they want to do!

Hi everyone! I have to say, reading this thread has made me feel much better. After 8 years in special education as a teacher ( which I did love), I am ready to pursue OT. I have been taking classes at night and am some starting volunteering and shadowing- I am just so nervous about the idea of no salary still. Actually, back in May after being set on OT and working diligently to make sure I was following a schedule to get my applications in order for fall 2016 cycle, I felt a sudden surge of hopelessness in trying to squeeze in everything with a 50 hour work week. I gave up on the idea of OT and decided to start thinking about an alternative because I became so stressed with trying to find hours. But I recently began shadowing in a great outpatient facility and I feel that my dream is restored. I just need to start getting all of my ducks in a row again for the app process. I guess I will just need to get over my fear of no salary, but does anyone else worry about this too being in their thirties?

Hi Teacher84

As you must have already read from previous posts, being 30 or even over 30 does not mean you are too old for the change. Given your situation where you mentioned the fear of losing salary, I understand that but you are making a lifelong investment . Transition of any sort takes time. It starts when we are babies:) But change is good. If you believe in your decision- don't look back. Life is too short to have regrets. Be confidant. On an average, an individual going to Medical School, Law school , Pharmacy and any other Professional school is almost 30 or over. OT is very diverse and with your knowledge in Special education, you will be a great fit. It all adds on. You are not coming from a new land. OT schools embrace people from all walks of life. All the best.

Hi Teacher84

As you must have already read from previous posts, being 30 or even over 30 does not mean you are too old for the change. Given your situation where you mentioned the fear of losing salary, I understand that but you are making a lifelong investment . Transition of any sort takes time. It starts when we are babies:) But change is good. If you believe in your decision- don't look back. Life is too short to have regrets. Be confidant. On an average, an individual going to Medical School, Law school , Pharmacy and any other Professional school is almost 30 or over. OT is very diverse and with your knowledge in Special education, you will be a great fit. It all adds on. You are not coming from a new land. OT schools embrace people from all walks of life. All the best.

Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate it!

Hi Teacher84

Hi Teacher84,
You and I are in the same boat. I'm applying now and I'm 31. It was hard balancing work with completing the prerequisites, getting shadowing hours, and taking the GRE. I'm also from NC originally, but have lived out-of-state for several years, so I am mainly applying to schools in North Carolina. I have had moments where I wondered if I would be too old to consider going back to school, but I really loved my shadowing experiences and want a career in OT. Did you ultimately decide which schools were you going to apply to?

Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Last 60 credits: 4.0
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Inpatient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, which is basically OT while on a horse)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired. :(

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Last 60 credits: 4.0
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Out-patient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, which is basically OT while on a horse)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired. :(

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!

I think you look good. where do you want to apply (region etc) I would start a separate thread and let it go from there

I think you look good. where do you want to apply (region etc) I would start a separate thread and let it go from there

Essentially all over. Just schools that don't require the GRE. D'youville in NY, Loma Linda in CA, Sacred Heart in CT, Bay Path in MT, and a few others.